Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 danielstook

you will have to find out a little more about canstaff, they are quiet a large agency here, but as I work direct for a building company, I don't know a lot about them. but If I were you I would check out their work conditions and rates of pay. from what I know the pay rates are not as high as working direct for a company, also you may have to stay with them for a set period of time.

but yes, there is loads of work and seems no sign of getting quiet, there is still quiet a lot of demo going on here, so as you can imagine, all these must be rebuilt and a whole lot more houses need repairs. I would see at least five years for house renovations and repairs or rebuilds. I usually find here, that if you are willing to work and are competent, then you will do okay. companies are at a real shortage of staff these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

jacksie66 wrote: »
    We'll rent is pretty steep here. I'm paying nearly 200$ a week for a room. Wages wise I don't know about a carpenter but I'm on pretty **** money at the moment. 23 an hour before tax. Tax is fairly big here. I'm a plumber but it would cost me nearly 900 bucks to get my plumbing licence here. Dunno about carpenters. Night life is **** here. Pubs are pretty crap bar one or 2, plus the new drinking laws mean they are ridiculously strict on being drunk. I'm here 5 months and I'm sick of it. I'm going home in a few weeks and I can't wait to get out of this ****hole. The city centre is just a building site.

How about you get out and experience what the country has to offer rather than complain about the nightlife and getting drunk. Perhaps having a different attitude would make you appreciate what's on offer here. There's plenty of activities to do around chch and a totally different world only a few hours outside of the city.

However if you sole purpose every weekend is to go to the pub and get drunk then what else is there to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Whats the best seaside suburb of Christchurch, preferably with a pub or some sort of social scene or activities.

What are you thoughts on these...

New Brighton?

Sumner?

Pegasus - (A bit further out - seems like a brand new place?)

Rangouri ? (A bit inland but close enough?)

Lyttelton?

Alternatively whats the best suburb for someone in their late twenties who would want some sort of a social scene going on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

sawfish wrote: »
    Whats the best seaside suburb of Christchurch, preferably with a pub or some sort of social scene or activities.

What are you thoughts on these...

New Brighton?

Sumner?

Pegasus - (A bit further out - seems like a brand new place?)

Rangouri ? (A bit inland but close enough?)

Lyttelton?

Alternatively whats the best suburb for someone in their late twenties who would want some sort of a social scene going on?

You'll be hard pressed find a decent night life anywhere in CHCH to be honest.

New Brighton is a dump. It's like a more scummier Tramore.

Sumner is a nice spot, if not a little expensive, night life isn't good though.

Pegasus? Never heard of the place. Really must be new!

Rangiora, nope! Plus you're way out of town. It has awesome awesome beaches nearby though.

Lyttleton is my favourite place in CHCH... It does have one decent pub "Wunderbar" Not sure if the Irish pub in front of it is still closed though.

I lived in a fair few places, Woolston, CBD, Riccarton, Cashmere, Shirley, Merivale and nothing comes close to Merivale for me (early 30's) Theres a group of 3 pubs in the same area in the town there and another few dotted around it, Papanui shopping centre up the road, it's a little more upper class than most places in the city, decent houses, nice neighbourhoods etc. Riccarton would also be an option for you it has that massive shopping centre and a few restaurants and pubs to boot but I moved because traffic on Riccarton Rd is a nightmare 24/7.

Realistically you can move to any suburb and still be close to the beach, its 15 mins away at absolute worst from any part. I'd say go for either Papanui/Riccarton/Merivale. Just for a decent neighbourhood/nice house and the beach won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shamrock02

Yeah riccarton is probably your best bet, most things are in walking distance. Thats why im here at the minute, and loads other Irish, and yes the traffic is mental. Theres a few local pubs which are not bad. But dont be expecting a mental night life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

shamrock02 wrote: »
    Yeah riccarton is probably your best bet, most things are in walking distance. Thats why im here at the minute, and loads other Irish, and yes the traffic is mental. Theres a few local pubs which are not bad. But dont be expecting a mental night life.

I`d say its a bit of a sausage fest with all the builders in town for the earthquake rebuild?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shamrock02

sawfish wrote: »
    I`d say its a bit of a sausage fest with all the builders in town for the earthquake rebuild?

Your right there Ted.
    Slim pickings here lol.

Advertisement