Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coarse Fishing - best place for camping

Options
  • 19-05-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to take myself off for a few days fishing avec le tent :p

Anyone know of any good fishing/camping places or spots - not fussed where it is in Ireland as driving doesn't bother me, but ideally somewhere I can camp next to the river or lake....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The Lough ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

slevins lake in mullingar possibly?

Ive never fished there, and i honestly have no idea how it fishes! was at the lake before, there are loads of fishing stands, but behind the stands there is a huge bay. there were the remains of a few camp fires there. its in the middle of the woods, so dont dare go out without insect spray!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

SeaFields wrote: »
    The Lough ? :p

Ha Ha - I'll take a few tins of cider with me

Ive never fished there, and i honestly have no idea how it fishes! was at the lake before, there are loads of fishing stands, but behind the stands there is a huge bay. there were the remains of a few camp fires there. its in the middle of the woods, so dont dare go out without insect spray!

Camp fires or evening fish meal fires :rolleyes: - thanks I'll check it out later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Have a VERY nice spot in Cavan if interested I can try and explain how to get to it.

• Advertisement

How come you have time to post ? - you should be modding lol :pac:

Yeah deffo interested - send me some details - its far enough away that the missus can come calling !

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

Have a VERY nice spot in Cavan if interested I can try and explain how to get to it.

Hi Bite,

Could you send PM to me too?

Hoping to get an overnighter done soon when ive worked up a few more brownie points!

Thanks

FullOf..IT wrote: »
    Hi Bite,

Could you send PM to me too?

Hoping to get an overnighter done soon when ive worked up a few more brownie points!

Thanks

Ha! Man after my own heart - maybe we should rename the thread "attached man's escape plan'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

http://www.prebait.com/coarse_fishing_venues/Ireland/Galway/2380/Angle_Grove

Great for carp and tench fishing. Bring insect repellent though.

Boora near Tullamore is good for camping too. Some very big bream there but i would require a lot of prebaiting.

Theres a lot of places along the Barrow that you could camp out. The Shannon at Portumna is a great camping spot too. You could also try any of the canals around Monasterevin, Enfield, Kilcock and Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Never mind insect spray I'd imagine you'd want security with you. I'd be reluctant to park my car in the car park come evening time let alone camp in the area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Never mind insect spray I'd imagine you'd want security with you. I'd be reluctant to park my car in the car park come evening time let alone camp in the area!

I'd be inclined to agree. A while ago I went for a stroll there in the evening to have a look at the place as it's been many years since I fished there (is there anything in it anymore?)
    Mine was the only car there and when I got back was a couple of cars of young lads there hanging around, now maybe they were fine and nice guys but I just wouldn't be comfortable leaving my car there overnight.

As for the question, I often used to see guys camping by the Royal canal around the Mullingar/Killucan/Kilcock areas though not so much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

read an interesting article about slevins in irish anglers digest this month. sounds like a dangerous place to go. insect repellant? bring a gun instead:D

Advertisement