Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Cards (Small Payment)

Options
  • 19-05-2011 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of shops now are trying to offload thier fee's onto customers if you spend less that a certain amound ie €10 you get charged the 28c for using the card.

Its ok when your in a shop that has a bank machine but I was getting a few things in a small shop once and I honestly didnt have any cash and it came to about €7 and she stated that I couldnt use my card at all and had to leave the shop empty handed without the shop making the sale. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I find that weird.

I noticed in the UK recently, that many don't carry any cash at all and use debit cards for almost everything, from a packet of sweets to a full meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

It does be like that here but I think the shops are having the attitude of "buy more and use your card" if not pay 28c or in some cases walk out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Paulw wrote: »
    I noticed in the UK recently, that many don't carry any cash at all and use debit cards for almost everything, from a packet of sweets to a full meal.

Pay for use ATMs are also much more common though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I see a lot of shops now are trying to offload thier fee's onto customers if you spend less that a certain amound ie €10 you get charged the 28c for using the card.

Its ok when your in a shop that has a bank machine but I was getting a few things in a small shop once and I honestly didnt have any cash and it came to about €7 and she stated that I couldnt use my card at all and had to leave the shop empty handed without the shop making the sale. :mad:
    Are you complaining about shops that don't offer the ability to pay by laser for small amounts and shops that do? :confused:

Lots of shops don't accept Laser for small amounts because it would be uneconomical to do so. The 28c is a way to at least offer the customer the option

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Next year will see wide introduction of the visa wallet which will encourage small payments to be made by card.

Shops will aso see a much lower transactions cost for these small amounts and therefore they will probably encourage it.

The reason why shops don't want it for amounts under €10 is because many sales involve cigarettes and they make about 40c on a pack. Take 28c off that and you end up with nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

maxer68 wrote: »
    Next year will see wide introduction of the visa wallet which will encourage small payments to be made by card.

Shops will aso see a much lower transactions cost for these small amounts and therefore they will probably encourage it.

The reason why shops don't want it for amounts under €10 is because many sales involve cigarettes and they make about 40c on a pack. Take 28c off that and you end up with nothing.

Actually they still make 12c, I get your point though.

Really when it comes down to it, Its all about how much money the shop makes, If they didn't have a laser function at all, There wouldn't be an argument.

Just be thank for that some of them are giving you the option.

Similar problem with phone credit in some shops, When they added on the 40c so they could make some money, But other shops didn't so they gave the incentive to people to shop there.

But if the shop actually losses money on certain thing, Know it won't stay that way for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement