Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did it take to Toilet train your Dog?

• 19-05-2011 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

To the point where they asked to go outside to do their business?!

What methods of training did you use?

How long did it take to Toilet train your Puppy? 21 votes

1 Week
    0% 0 votes
    2 Weeks
    4% 1 vote
    3 Weeks
    28% 6 votes
    1 Month
    28% 6 votes
    2 Months
    23% 5 votes
    3 Months
    9% 2 votes
    4 Months
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

We're at 5 months now, and although she won't want to go inside, I won't trust her to sleep outside the crate yet.
    During the day, she'll whimper to get out.

Answer: 3 months or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Hi OP,

It can vary from dog to dog, age, and also more importanlty how much you stick to a plan/ schedule.

I personally trainned my 2 rotties in the space of 2-3 weeks at most. they took to it well and fast as me an my fiancé had a strict regime of how we feed, watered and played with them. Dogs learn rapidly fast once in a schedule they just seem to adopt it..

I was able to trust them out of the create after the 2 weeks with the very rare accident. but even know when im leaving them alone in the house for there peace of mind an mine i have them created to save any unwanted activity, i.e chewing acidents or toliet mistakes. They are only animals at the end of the day. :)

as i said each dog is different. an each person is differnt, so try find wat suits you an your pup an stick to it.. Alot of trial an error.. Keep the kitchen roll an spray near for the first while.. its all about habbit.

how old is your dog an what type of schedule have you got to train..?

Hope this helps. :D

nudag wrote: »
    What methods of training did you use?

The best method i found is consistancy.. Stick to a routine.

After feeding, after playing, after sleeping.. first thing in morning and last thing at night..

Depending on age (bladder control for young dogs is not vey long - normally when they want to go they will go.. nought you can do) but if its a young dog at night wake up at least about 3 - 4 hours after putting them down an let them outside (you with them - for to praise when they relieve themselfs) not much interaction with them while doing this a you dont want to distract them from the duty of toliet.

After about a few nights you can maybe increase the time to an hour or so extra until you have dry bed in morning. ( dont be disheartend if any accidents, these things happen) jus keep on the schedule an itl all soon click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nudag

Hi Kenny,

She is 10 weeks today and I have her since last Sunday.

She is put in the crate at 11pm when we go to bed. I bring her out the back and wait for her to go and I say "go toilet" when she is going to the toilet. I make a fuss of her when she does go and she is very happy about that.

So far it goes like this during the night...

I get up at about 2am. Pick her up and walk out the back and wait for her to go and I repeat the above phrase when she does go. I bring her back in and put her back into the crate without saying anything. I do the same at 4:30 am and 7am. I know think I should walk her out the back so she gets the link of where she is going and why.

So far its been pretty good. 80% wee's out the back and 70% the other!

I watch her like a hawk and if I see her sniffing around in the living room I bring her out straight away. I work from home and have been up in the office all week and she has been downstairs. I come down every 30mins to check on her. Today I caved and am working in the sitting room with her asleep on my feet.

I feed her at 8:30am, 1:30pm and 6pm and bring her out the back after each meal.

Its hard work!!! :)

Hi nudag.

What you are doing is perfect.. You have her on schedule, you know your routine.. The dog wont be long catching on and will be your best friend..

Its not even a week yet and shes already got a gud success rate for the bathroom and your technique, so its supporting the fact you methods are paying off.. keep up the gud work. Well done..

You can increase the lentgh of time between night time breaks once she gets a week or two older an learns the routine that shes getting out to do her business. an the lead option is a gud idea if you need it.. LOads of praise an rubs once the busniess is done an shell soon understand whys shes been brought out. fair play to you.

You have definitly done your research, its a pleasure to hear. I bet you feel great to be able to work from home, spending so much time wit your new best friend with ya while there.. (",)

Wat breed of dog have you got.. And also any pics of your new family member.. cant beat puppy photos..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

they are all different - my 4 year old still needs to be watched - she'll head for the back door alright but wont make any noise and if you dont let her out she'll go ont he floor. if you're engrossed in a book or a movie etc you have to keep an eye on her to make sure she's there. she took ages to train!

my one year old totally different - picked it up so quickly and will whine or bark to be let out.

all it takes is patience and every time they do theor business outside make a big fuss and reward them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nudag

Hi Kennyw,

Its going good so far. Thanks for the advice.

She is a 5th gen Chocolate Australian Labradoodle (Parents were BVA eye tested, Hip scored and Elbow scored) so no breed so to speak of ;)

winnie-2.jpg

winnie-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh shes a beauty, i think i remember your thread when you were saying you were looking to get one.

My rotties took a long time to be totally accident free. Think my male was nearly 7 months and my female wasnt far behind him. The male was def easier and seemed to catch on quicker and i still dont know if i would 100% trust the female yet, shes 11 months and i still crate her at night, but shes also a chewer so im using it for both reasons really and to let my male have his own space to sleep at night.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I had all my Collie puupies toilet trained within 3 weeks. I had newspaper everywhere in their living are to start with. When i gave them a drink of water (i didn't leave water with them all the time) i brought them out for outside and stood there until they went. It gets easier especially with males because when they smell the urine from previous vists they need to go anyway! Get the dogs in a routine of being brought out first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

Gradually i began reducing the newspaper in the room to one spot. You will find that they will then only urinate on newspaper (must be the smell).

If you catch them "in the act" make a loud noise and quickly carry them outside. Don't shout if you find a puddle because they won't understand only while they are doing it.

Eventually you will find there is no use for the newspaper and you don't need it. it's all about routine and your dog understanding that their bathroom is outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

It took me three and a half months to potty train bonny , but I never crate trained her. Now if I am using the computer and she is sleeping on the couch she will sit beside me on the floor with her tail wagging and when I look at her she will go to the door even if its open to let me know she needs to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Our Yorkie Max took around two months to train. Hard going - but worth it in the end.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

3 weeks to train a collie recently.
    Watching her like a hawk and any time she started to go or made the signs inside, I made a loud sudden noise trying to get her to clench and stop (mostly unsucessfully) and then excitedly running out the door with her.
    Bringing her outside after every nap, feed or bout of play and plenty of happy praise after she goes outside.
    I was very lucky that she slept through the night with my other dogs from day one without needing to go. Because the moment I wake up I'm surrounded by excited dogs, I had to jump out of bed and half blind and in my shorts run downstairs to let her out (usually around 05:30), now I can lie there a while and get my morning wash from them all. :D

3 years ago with my GSD/CollieX it took me 3 days :eek:.
    I honestly couldn't believe it, 7 wks old and she hadn't been trained before arriving.
    Day 1 she learned she shouldn't do it inside, day 2 she learned to ask and I learned her "asking signs", day 3 all was done. It turned out she is one of the most intelligent, easily trainable dogs I have ever come across. Her brains are a blessing and a curse (sometimes) :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

2 wks to train 2 including overnight(apart from accident this wk after being spayed), never crate trained. Theyre now 5 1/2mnths old. They have a gravel pit to use makes it easier to clean and it means they know exactly where they supposed to go.

Like you i have a routine of:
    6am hubby up so they go out and have water.
    6.45 back in utility until 7.30.
    Strait outside while food prepared, fed and water.
    8am back outside after eating, 8.15 food up.
    8.30 outside then back in util while i did school run.
    9.30 back outside. they slept until 11 then back outside.
    Dinner at 1pm back outside while its prepared, food up at 1.15.
    1.30 back outside.
    2.30 back outside and then back into util.
    3.30 strait outside.
    5.30 outside. dinner
    7.30 outside,
    9.00 outside.
    11.00pm outside and then into util.
    Not once have i got up to let them out overnight they're like babies and get used to the attention. Never rubbed nose in mess just a stern no naughty when caught doing anything. Now they have the door open most of the day as the weather is warmer they like lying on the decking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I had no accidents at all, abandoned the crate at night after about 2 weeks as it wasn't needed and she slept in the room with me so was well able to let me know if she wanted out, at around the 4 week mark she started refusing to go in the garden and yard and saved it for her walks so I had to start taking her right out to the roadside and have had to since. It did take a little vigilance to completely undo the few weeks paper training she had before I got her. My dad buys about 3 newspapers a day and leaves them on the floor where ever he last had one in his hand :rolleyes:. I was lucky enough to be able to have her with me 24-7 in the early months though and I think this made all the difference, she never got to pee on a newspaper in this house as she was taken out as soon as she even glanced in the direction of one.

Best thing is the messy newspaper issue still got solved and they are now put away properly as ripping them up is great craic! :P

Oh, and I have the exact same dog bed as that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Two bloody years!

That's what happens when you adopt a 3yr old dog who had never been in a house before. She kept waiting till we weren't looking then weeing in corners. These days she's starting to scratch at the back door to get out though, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

It took my brother two and a half years to train his Jack rusell. She still needs to be locked in her travel box at night or she will do it on the kitchen floor. He has the dog since she was 7 weeks old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I think it took less than a month to train our irish setter - she is brilliant at asking to go outside, a scratch on the door and then she turns her head around to look at you.

She also learned from this that if her water bowl is empty or food bowl is down without food in it that she does the same - paw goes in and scratches it and she turns around and looks at you, we had no part in it - she just figured that the scratch gets the required action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Took about two to three weeks to train our boy.

Did a bit of reading, and learnt to recognise the signs. So we chucked him out when he woke, ate, played, got excited. When he went, I used the appropriate words, and praised him like mad when he went. Very soon, he learnt to summon us to let him out by growling. He was so good, I can get him to wee on command now.

Advertisement