Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon LNG

Options
  • 19-05-2011 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭

Getting this project of the ground seems to have been one long struggle, and it seems that there's now talk of it dying a death altogether.:eek:

An unbelievable carry-on, no wonder there are no feckin jobs.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/north-kerry-set-to-lose-promised-jobs-2651741.html
    North Kerry set to lose promised jobs

By DONAL NOLAN dnolan@kerryman.ie

Wednesday May 18 2011

SHANNON LNG will pull out of its planned multi million euro Ballylongford landbank project, with the loss of hundreds of jobs for North Kerry, if it is hit with massive charges that are being threatened by the Commissioner for Energy Regulation (CER).
    Local supporters are frustrated that the project, which promises 450 jobs in the short term, has already been massively delayed by red tape.
    Now Shannon LNG is on the brink of abandoning the longawaited development after learning that it could be charged a possible €10 million a year to use the national gas pipeline network.
    The CER has told Shannon LNG it will have to pay to use the gas pipeline that connects Ireland to the UK. The cost could be as much as €10 million a year. Shannon LNG and its parent company Hess LNG see this charge as unsustainable and are considering the future of the project .
    Minister Jimmy Deenihan is to face down CER officials in a meeting next week where he will urge the authority to back down on its demands in the interest of creating vital jobs for North Kerry and West Limerick.
    "I will be laying it out that I don't agree with them. I think it will have the opposite affect of protecting gas prices. If Shannon LNG get the plant up and operating it will have the effect of reducing energy prices, including electricity. I would hope that this will be resolved for the sake of everyone.
    "It is very serious as this is the only real job prospect for North Kerry and West Limerick and there is a committment to pay €20 million to Shannon Development for the land. These people are totally committed to the project and all they want is to compete on the market to bring down the price of gas," Minister Deenihan said.
    Contrary to some reports, Hess LNG, which has already invested up to €50 million in Kerry, is not considering moving the project to the UK.
    Minister Deenihan has arranged for the company to meet with Energy Minister Pat Rabbitte in the coming week to discuss their concerns.

I hope that this is a sign The Kerryman has now given up asking people for money to look at its website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

If the LNG goes down the swanee, we might aswell all pack our bags and leave...It has passed Bord Pleanala and all the other red tape and yet they are still holding it up...Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems that a certain group of people don't want it to go ahead, surprise surprise.
    Minister Jimmy Deenihan has been accused of interference by a group opposed to the proposed liquefied natural gas terminal on the Tarbert/Ballylongford landbank. Shannon LNG is the company behind the 600 million euro project. But there are concerns the company may pull out if it has to pay a tariff for gas interconnectors it won't use. The tariff proposal is being examined by the Commission for Energy Regulation - the body in charge of opening up the energy sector to more competition. The Commission for Energy Regulation has suggested new tariff schemes for gas interconnectors which would be owned by Shannon LNG's market rivals, Bord Gais. The Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Jimmy Deenihan says Shannon LNG will withdraw from the project if it has to pay a tariff for these interconnectors. He's arranged a meeting between the Taoiseach and Shannon LNG's parent company. Safety Before LNG which is opposed to the terminal has accused Minister Deenihan of "interfering" with the process being undertaken by the CER. Johnny McElligott of Safety Before LNG says Minister Deenihan says CER is trying to determine a tariff that would be fair in the marketplace for Shannon LNG to pay. Minister Deenihan says he has asked for an early decision by the regulator.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mearfada

To Clarify the situation the only reason this project is held up is because Hess LNG the parent company in the USA have failed to make a final decision to commence the project. the latest problem is with CER (regulator) threatening to impose a levy on the feed in tarriff to the Gas Grid a consultation paper is in circulation among vested interests.

Hess are unwilling to start until a decision is made which is anticipated in the Autumn which is understandable from their perspective.

All planning permission and Foreshore Licenses are in place and effectively the project is shovel ready. CPO for road widening is also advanced although as far as i know money has been received by KCC for the procurement of the land required to realign the road but as of yet the monies for the actual work have not been transferred

Protest groups have nothing to do with any hold ups (Shannon LNG can verify this)

....and it still drags on. :eek:

Whose fault is it now, I wonder?:confused:

27 Oct 2011
    Minister not aware of any threat by Shannon LNG to withdraw from North Kerry

The Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources says he's not aware of any possible plans by Shannon LNG to pull out of its multi million euro project in North Kerry. There are concerns the company may withdraw plans for a 600 million euro liquified natural gas terminal on the Tarbert Ballylongford landbank if it has to pay a particular levy. If it's built, the terminal is expected to create 350 jobs during construction and 50 permanent positions. The Commission for Energy Regulation is currently deciding whether Shannon LNG should pay a tariff for gas interconnectors it won't use. Minister Pat Rabbitte told Senator Tom Sheahan that he's not aware of LNG plans to withdraw because of the tariff issue. He says he expects the regulator to make a decision on the matter shortly.

What an unbelievable carry-on carrying on some more.:eek:

It seems to me that if you ever think of setting up a business in Kerry, you're wasting your time even thinking about it.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/investor-set-to-walk-away-from-1bn-kerry-project-3027344.html
    Investor set to walk away from € 1bn Kerry project

By DÓNAL NOLAN AND MARISA REIDY

Wednesday February 22 2012

SHANNON LNG will walk away from its planned €1bn investment in the Ballylongford landbank unless the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) agrees to cut tarriffs that could cost the gas company €75 million a year.
    The long-running saga of the LNG plant entered its darkest hour this week after the CER announced on Friday its proposal for swingeing tarriffs on gas suppliers.
    The liquified natural gas terminal would create up to 400 jobs for the four-year duration of its build and turn the landbank into the thriving hub of industry locals have been hoping to see for decades.
    Anger is becoming even more acute in Ballylongford and Tarbert this week, however, following the CER announcement. The tarriffs are principally being introduced to pay for the upkeep of the existing gas pipeline between Ireland. and Scotland. However, Shannon LNG has no plans to use this pipeline.
    Based on its own calculations on foot of the CER document on Friday, Shannon LNG believes it would face €75 million per year in tarriffs on gas imports through the landbank. This led Shannon LNG CEO Paddy Power to make the ominous pronouncement on Monday that 'Ireland is closed for business to the energy sector'.
    His statement is being taken as the darkest note yet for the future of the plan.
    While Shannon LNG would not make a more detailed statement to the media on the matter, The Kerryman understands the company now believes it cannot invest in north Kerry unless the CER drastically changes its planned tarriffs.
    The matter is also being compounded by the consultative nature of the CER process. Friday's announcement is a draft decision and open to debate into the future, further delaying the already long-drawn out process that has stymied progress on the LNG project for years.
    The CER told The Kerryman that it would not comment on Mr Power's figure of €75 million per year saying it was a ' calculation for Shannon LNG to make'. But it said a final decision on the gas tarriff process would be made by the end of April. THE head of Shannon LNG, Paddy Power, has accused the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) of putting obstacle after obstacle in the way of the conpany's plans to construct a billion-dollar gas plant in north Kerry that could essentially save the area from being devastated by recession.
    Mr Power said the company is frustrated and utterly bewildered at the CER'S decision to suddenly change government and regulatory policy on gas pipelines tariffs, which he claims will now cost Shannon LNG up to €75m per year in tariffs.
    At a meeting of Kerry County Council on Monday — three days after the CER published its draft paper on gas tariffs — Mr Power said he was at a loss to understand why the CER is putting 'block after block' in the way of a ddevelopment that will offer a capital investment of €1bn and secure 600 jobs over the next four or five years.
    He explained that initial tariff arrangements were put in place back in 2011 to encourage other suppliers to come and invest in the country, whereby each supplier paid their own costs. Now he says, the CER is asking companies such as Shannon LNG to pay tariffs to subsidise their competition, which he said, have 'absolutely flummoxed' the company.
    "We were all set to start in 2014, after years and years of delays, and now we are being told that we have to pay €75 million per year to subsidise competitors," he said. "We have ticked all the boxes and have already invested €62 million in the project, and we find it frustrating, to say the least, that the rules are now being changed at the 11th hour.
    We trusted the ministers and that is why we made the investment. This is no way to do business. As far we are concerned Ireland is closed to business for the energy sector."
    Mr Power said that the company is extremely bewildered that so many ' bureaucratic challenges' are being put in the way of the project by the CER, which he said is supposed to encourage fairness and competition.
    He said the company took gave exception to the new regulations that were introduced only last year, when Shannon LNG was ready to go ahead, saying it did not bode well for future investment in Ireland.
    - DÓNAL NOLAN AND MARISA REIDY
    Deenihan to raise delays at Cabinet

By Dónal Nolan

Wednesday February 22 2012

REACTION to the Commission for Energy Regulation decision from politicians in Kerry became increasingly frantic this week as they struggled to formulate a response to the announcement.
    Shannon LNG CEO Paddy Power told Kerry County Council on Monday that the decision could result in the company having to pay €75 million per annum in tarriffs to the State; a figure believed to be unviable for the company.
    Minister Jimmy Deenihan, who has supported the project from the beginning but now finds himself in a government that is coming under increasing criticism in Kerry for its handling of the latest episode in the LNG saga, said he will be raising the matter immediately at Cabinet. He suggested the government shares the concerns of Shannon LNG.
    "I will be raising the matter with Energy Minsiter Pat Rabbitte and Taoiseach Enda Kenny. This is so important, we cannot lose this project. It would be a major blow to the region. I will be in direct contact with Shannon LNG who are very concerned about it and we share those concerns."
    Fianna Fáil Senator Ned O'sullivan said the government must come up with a package to recompense LNG if the CER paper results in heavy tarriffs for the company. "This is quite a sizeable setback for the principal players. The government has to ensure that the project goes ahead for the good of the region. I will be calling on the government and Minister Deenihan to look at alternative ways Shannon LNG could be recompensed for paying for the interconnector," he said.
    Tarbert native and Fine Gael county councillor Jim Finucane is organising a meeting between Kerry County Council and the Taoiseach in the near future. "A settlement conference has to be established now, under an independent facilitator to work out a formula acceptable to all sides. The CER is talking about workshops on the issue, but the time for that and for meetings about meetings is over, we have to enter a decision-making process now."
    - Dónal Nolan

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/deenihan-to-raise-delays-at-cabinet-3027374.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jacquesbernis

What was that Enda was saying to the American investors when he was over getting his holiday snaps taken in the States.."Ireland:a great place to do business..If you come up against red tape, contact me directly"?
    Up to,but not including if it involves taking on the Civil Service in all its guises.
    Denihan and the rest will do what they're told by their Civil "Servant" masters and protect the insular de Valera-esque status quo.

This is becoming like a bad Paddy Irishman joke..CER and Government, playing pitch and toss..neithe willing to take responsibility for the situation with the enormous tariffs which could potentially bring this project down. 2 weeks after Bill Clinton shoved US Investors in our direction on every media network in america, we are going to send a message back that "Nah, don't bother, we're too stuffy and tied up in red tape".
    Does Kenny or any of them even care about this? Jimmy Deenihan had better be working this night and day, I would think if this goes south on his watch it will cost him a lot of votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This is becoming like a bad Paddy Irishman joke..CER and Government, playing pitch and toss..neithe willing to take responsibility for the situation with the enormous tariffs which could potentially bring this project down. 2 weeks after Bill Clinton shoved US Investors in our direction on every media network in america, we are going to send a message back that "Nah, don't bother, we're too stuffy and tied up in red tape".
    Does Kenny or any of them even care about this? Jimmy Deenihan had better be working this night and day, I would think if this goes south on his watch it will cost him a lot of votes.

I think North Kerry is been let down somewhat by its TDs,with the LNG project looking like it will go the same way as the GPCE project,you have to wonder are we been represented in the dail by the right people,this county is an employment black spot atm and there seems to be no plans to improve the situation.

I think North Kerry is been let down somewhat by its TDs,with the LNG project looking like it will go the same way as the GPCE project,you have to wonder are we been represented in the dail by the right people,this county is an employment black spot atm and there seems to be no plans to improve the situation.

I have never been a Fine Gael supporter as such, but Jimmy Deenihan has got my vote for a long while now. If this matter fails to resolve itself and I fail to get a satisfactory response as to why from his office, my vote will be going elsewhere. From my reading of it, its a matter of people abdicating responsibility. The CER saying "its up to the Government to decide this/that"..the Government saying it won't interfere in the affairs of the CER etc...Pure Irish carry on. This has also jeapordised the potential redevelopment of Tarbert ESB station I understand which was contingent on the Gas pipeline being extended from Foynes. Beggars belief really the incompetence...no wonder Hess are considering pulling the plug.

What have our local North Kerry TDs been doing since they landed their cushy jobs after the last election? I occasionally see reports of Jimmy Deenihan going on trips, and heard that on a occasion, one of his "special advisers", James Kenny, (another teacher:o) stood in for him at a public meeting, and was out of his depth by all accounts.

We need some high-powered "in your face" politicians in North Kerry, or the place will be forever ignored by the shower up country.

It seems that we haven't had much credit for annihilating FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What have our local North Kerry TDs been doing since they landed their cushy jobs after the last election? I occasionally see reports of Jimmy Deenihan going on trips, and heard that on a occasion, one of his "special advisers", James Kenny, (another teacher:o) stood in for him at a public meeting, and was out of his depth by all accounts.

We need some high-powered "in your face" politicians in North Kerry, or the place will be forever ignored by the shower up country.

It seems that we haven't had much credit for annihilating FF.

The wind that shaketh the barley spreads tidings that this Hibernian Isle did prostitute its sovereignty under the stewardship of the Cowards of Destiny (Fianna Fail). Their first cousins Fianna Gael are but a watered down version who are offspring of a deferring version of an episode of The Irish RM. Romantic Ireland is with O'Leary in the grave. Sinn Fein and the Fianna's are but the face of Caesar to the face of Augustus on the reverse of the coin.
    Awake sons and daughters of Erin to your pathetic inheritance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tarbert

This is unbelievable, another year gone by and this project no where near starting!!
    If we only had a minister in kerry that had some balls!! Stand up and be counted once and for all, show us you mean what you say!! You know being ministers and councillors is not all about the money, you have to earn it . or is that too much trouble.I've been out of Tarbert a long time but cant believe whats happening there. Would love to see this job start, maybe there'll be something to come back for!!!!!

tarbert wrote: »
    This is unbelievable, another year gone by and this project no where near starting!!
    If we only had a minister in kerry that had some balls!! Stand up and be counted once and for all, show us you mean what you say!! You know being ministers and councillors is not all about the money, you have to earn it . or is that too much trouble.I've been out of Tarbert a long time but cant believe whats happening there. Would love to see this job start, maybe there'll be something to come back for!!!!!

Are we talking about "The Kerry Person of The Year"?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Surely Bord Gáis should have anticipated a situation like this occurring when they were constructing the interconnectors with Scotland? It seems absolutely ridiculous that this issue has only come up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Also, does anyone know if this will have an impact on biogas production, such as anaerobic digestion facilities?

Yawn :(

Council calls on Energy Regulator to publish LNG report

It follows a motion by Fine Gael Cllr Jim Finucane at the local authority's monthly meeting. The 500 million euro liquefied natural gas plant on the Tarbert Ballylongford landbank, which has been beset by delays. Cllr Finucane said the project has the capacity to begin to rejuvenate not alone Kerry but the Mid West Region. Last week Cllr Finucane denied he blamed Minister Pat Rabbitte for delays in the Shannon LNG project. The Minister for Energy accused the Tralee based councillor of forgetting everything he had learned at a meeting in Dublin on the project. Minister Rabbitte also said Cllr Finucane was very voluble on the issue. However Cllr Finucane said the issue was not about blame and he would not apologise for his frustration at what he said are the constant delays in the project which is going on for 6 years. The Shannon LNG project promises 400 jobs for Tarbert and North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bridgend

What is the latest development regarding this matter?

This was the last I saw on the subject, back in July, more messing.:(

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/locals-left-reeling-as-shannon-lng-project-thrown-into-doubt-3163304.html

PEOPLE on the landbank are deeply angry this week following a decision that has thrown the entire future of the Shannon LNG project into doubt.

Promising a total investment of over €500 million and hundreds of jobs in its construction phase, it was seen as a lifeline by the people of Ballylongford and Tarbert who have watched helplessly in recent years as the young of both parishes emigrated in the face of the recession.

This week's decision by the energy regulator (CER) means there will be no movement on the gas plant until at least 2015 if it is to go ahead at all at this stage.

Much as I feared a long time ago, this project is doomed never to happen. This truth is down to the unwillingness of what one economic analyst called "the quadrumvirate" (Irish Govt, CER, ESB and Bord Gais) to allow any semblance or even possibility of a free market in the energy/power sector in Ireland.

They are now (in announcing that a "final" decision will be made by the CER in 2014) hoping that Shannon LNG will just give up the ghost and bugger off and they can say "oh they were never fully committed to the project anyway" and "they wanted to exploit us but we told them where to go" etc. etc, when the reality is, they will let Shannon LNG into the country alright, but only if they pay an exorbitant sum to balance the books for Bord Gais networks just in case they have to cancel a few of the company golf trips in the next few years or something, you know..I'm sure the Irish taxpayer understands.....

Meanwhile every taxpayer in the country "enjoys" the hikes in Electricity and Gas prices (average of 12 % increase this year I think?) aswell as funding the (virtual) monopoly's that are Electric Ireland and Bord Gais..and included in that enormous and ever increasing cost to the Irish taxpayer is trivial expenditure of €200k per annum on the pension of poor ol Padraig MacManus, who retired last year (at the age of 60..nice)..he needed it badly the poor ol craythur, he only received €800k as a retirement package in December 2011 (linky) and he was on a lowly sum of around €500k per annum for the 9 years in the job...at a company which operates in a monopolised market and is supposedly semi-state...i.e: partly owned by us, the taxpayers.
    His succesor had to accept the frivolous salary of €313k due to our Government (i.e: Angela Merkel) putting their foot down..this was despite protestations from the aforementioned Pádraig, that we would struggle to get anyone to run the ESB show for less than €250k per annum. (I sh*t you not)

I've never been the anarchist type, but some of this stuff makes me understand how they feel sometimes. If Jimmy Deenihan (who to be fair is the only T.D in the constituency I respect) is not getting his ears burnt off about this, given he is a member of the Government, then he should be..but to be quite honest, anytime I have been back home in the area this project is supposed to benefit enormously, there has been hardly a word about it.

And we wonder why the nation is in the mess it is eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

QUESTION ?

Does JIMMY DEENIHAN (TD, Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht) need to get his head out of his a*#e on this one ?

• Advertisement

amadain wrote: »
    QUESTION ?

Does JIMMY DEENIHAN (TD, Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht) need to get his head out of his a*#e on this one ?

He probably should but there's always a problem with trying to break the habit of a lifetime.

This was the last I saw on the subject, back in July, more messing.:(

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/locals-left-reeling-as-shannon-lng-project-thrown-into-doubt-3163304.html

The people of North Kerry are waiting JIMMY !!!

From last week's Kerryman, being as they always update the webpage a few days after the printed version is issued, just in case people don't feel the need to buy it. I don't buy it anyway and don't mind waiting :P

All we now need to know is what happened at the meeting, and whether any of our local politicians awoke from their hibernation and attended.

SHANNON LNG are holding two information events in Tarbert and Ballylongford in the coming week to show the communities its plans for a gas-fired power plant that would be built beside the proposed gas plant.

The company will be submitting plans for the power plant to An Bord Pleanála shortly, but are consulting with the people of Ballylongford and Tarbert first as part of the process.

The information day will begin on Monday, December 10, next at the Eddie Carmody Hall in Ballylongford between 2.30pm and 7pm. It will transfer to the Community Hall in Tarbert on the following day, also between 2.30pm and 7pm
    http://www.kerryman.ie/news/lng-to-hold-meetings-on-gas-plant-plan-3320776.html

SHANNON LNG.......two information events....

plans for a gas-fired power plant that would be built beside the proposed gas plant......

submitting plans for the power plant to An Bord Pleanála shortly.

Monday, December 10, next at the Eddie Carmody Hall in Ballylongford between 2.30pm and 7pm.

Community Hall in Tarbert on the following day, also between 2.30pm and 7pm.

Presume this will be 'fast-tracked' through An Bord Pleanala ?

ANYONE care to voice an opinion on "their plans" ?

No doubt the crusties will be heading to North Kerry in their beaten up old ozone-layer-destroying camper-vans to start the protest.

Hope we get some good news on this in 2013.

People are understandably annoyed as those with any say seem to be running around like headless chickens.
    They start these "initiatives! then flip the self-destruct switch soon afterwards. A shambles once again.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/govt-plan-for-shannon-estuary-pointless-without-action-on-lng-3335069.html

'Govt plan for Shannon estuary pointless without action on LNG'

PLANS for a new approach to the future economic development of the Shannon Estuary were launched by the Government on Friday but are meaningless unless the State takes positive action in regard to the Shannon LNG plant, locals say.
    Minister of State for Housing and Planning Jan O'Sullivan launched the Draft Strategic Integrated Framework Plan for the Shannon Estuary on Friday last. It aims to increase energy, fishing, aviation and cruise liner industry along the estuary by planning for its future as one, single entity.
    Key sites have been identified for the economic development of the estuary , including the Ballylongford Landbank, Tarbert Island and Carrig Island. Residents of the estuary in north Kerry, however, say the time is past for plans and talk.
    "Of course we welcome anything that provides for the development of the estuary but the time for plans and talk is past, it's action we need now to create jobs that are vitally-needed here," Tarbert Development Association spokesperson John Fox told The Kerryman.
    The Shannon LNG project is still stalled amid red- tape seven years after it was first mooted.
    "We're sick of hearing so many promises about industry on the landbank, we've heard everything from smelters to oil refineries over the past 50 years and not one single job was created.
    "Meanwhile, the only agency that was actually doing something, Shannon Development, was taken out of Kerry and its rental money on its Kerry properties is now going to Shannon Airport!" Mr Fox said.
    Minister O'Sullivan welcomed the fact that the plan brought all agencies on the estuary together, including Kerry, Limerick and Clare county councils.
    Mayor of Kerry Terry O'Brien welcomed the strategy: "This is a very exciting initiative for the Shannon Estuary and for the counties of Clare, Limerick and Kerry," he said.
    - DÓNAL NOLAN

amadain wrote: »
    Hope we get some good news on this in 2013.

Shannon LNG given go ahead to apply to An Bord Pleanala for combined heat and power plant
    Friday, January 4th, 2013 at 9:00 am - Radio Kerry News.

Shannon LNG has been given the go ahead to apply directly to An Bord Pleanala for a combined heat and power plant in north Kerry. It plans to develop it beside the company’s proposed liquefied natural gas plant on the southern shore of the Shannon Estuary in Ballylongford.

Shannon LNG had queried whether the plans for the natural gas fired combined heat and power plant constituted a Strategic Infrastructure Development under planning regulations.
    An Bord Pleanala has ruled that it does, meaning the company can now apply for planning permission directly from the board.

The development would consist of a 500 MW combined cycle gas turbine electric power plant, an electrical switch yard, a salt water cooled condenser, a short gas pipeline to receive gas from the adjacent LNG terminal, administrative and support buildings, and related facilities.
    This proposed electric generating facility and the adjacent LNG facility will exchange heat and cold.
    Shannon LNG intends to build, own and operate the combined heat and power plant, and to export electric power generated to the national electricity grid, with the remainder being used by the LNG terminal and within the combined heat and power plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I wonder is this power station a sweetner/concession to release the LNG terminal from all the bureaucratic bullsh1t and allow it to go ahead? The power station would be useless without the LNG terminal.

Hess Corp. (owner of Shannon LNG) would usually have no interest in building a CCG power plant anywhere in the world. They are very much an integrated O&G company rather than a utility provider. I know that previously they were asked to provide a €15m tariff to prop up the cost of a pipeline, they may see this as a way of getting a benefit from that €15m.

I hope it does go ahead (being a local), Kerry/West Limerick in general is decimated with unemployment, emigration and inevitably suicide.

• Advertisement

......those with any say seem to be running around like headless chickens........

Surprised some of those headless chickens haven't come out and 'welcomed' this latest Bord Pleanala news.

We're still waiting JIMMY !!!

Advertisement