Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get an idea of where you should be in the course?

• 19-05-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find out if there is a set schedule of how much you should have done in chemistry by the end of 5th year, anyone any idea? The class is tiny if thats important

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's no set amount of work that has to be completed. It's a two year syllabus. Some teachers like to teach things in a different order to the way it's laid out in the text too.

But on a personal note when I was teaching chemistry and using Chemistry Live if you have it I usually aimed at the first 15-16 chapters of the book for fifth year. That was the atom, atomic theory, periodic table and trends : ionisation energies, electronegativity etc, chemical bonding, radioactivity, the mole and stoichiometry, acids and bases along with their titrations, gas laws, oxidation and reduction and associated titrations and then if the class were able I might touch on some of the rates of reaction stuff.

For leaving cert I would have rates of reaction, chemical equilibrium, pH and indicators, water chemistry, organic chemistry and the options

Advertisement