Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rache611

I did the tests today. You know the first one, the kind of personality test? There's no way you could possibly cheat on it because it is about yourself and nothing else.. Well.. I have never been so annoyed in my life :L I minimized the window for 2 SECONDS to check the bloody time and when I brought it back up the whole thing had frozen, it had locked me out. How on earth did it know? :L I only got 21 out of 49 questions done :( Considering I couldn't have possibly cheated is there anything I can do to finish the questionnaire? They couldn't possibly dock too much marks on me for that test could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

rache611 wrote: »
    I did the tests today. You know the first one, the kind of personality test? There's no way you could possibly cheat on it because it is about yourself and nothing else.. Well.. I have never been so annoyed in my life :L I minimized the window for 2 SECONDS to check the bloody time and when I brought it back up the whole thing had frozen, it had locked me out. How on earth did it know? :L I only got 21 out of 49 questions done :( Considering I couldn't have possibly cheated is there anything I can do to finish the questionnaire? They couldn't possibly dock too much marks on me for that test could they?

email them. They're reasonable people. Just tell them what happened and there shouldnt be a problem really. Personality is the one that tells them the most in my opinion so they will want it completed

• Registered Users Posts: 7 corkjetdriver

Any truth to the rumour that EI will have 2 or 3 versions:-

V1. No flight experience

V2. Some Flight experience ie PPL

V3. CPL & MEIR

Cathy do versions of their scheme, maybe EI will too, depending on expereince.

XWB - love your posts, why are EI as a company so anti irish flight schools, i know some one who was interviewed 7 wks ago and was asked 3 times why he didnt go to Jerez or Oxford?????

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

I see BA are launching their own programme also.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0811/breaking21.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Padlock69

If I do get to the next stage I'm going to be in Orlando doing my PPL during the timeframe mentioned. I wonder will there be anyway around this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Is there any truth in the rumour that this scheme will run for the next 5 years? I find it unlikely, but i'd like to think it would? Here's hoping! :D

I got an e-mail from them a while back, and at the end it said

"Aer lingus has yet to decide whether this programme will continue in the future"

They might say that every year though.

Padlock69 wrote: »
    If I do get to the next stage I'm going to be in Orlando doing my PPL during the timeframe mentioned. I wonder will there be anyway around this.

ALARM BELLS!!! You will exclude yourself for sure!! The only thing Aer Lingus hate more than you going to an Irish flight school is flight training in the states(unless they are running the program themselves)! Quality of training in these places is mixed at best. In an Irish FTO you are subject to IAA examiners so Aer Lingus know you're at the standard needed. In the states andbody can get a PPL and airlines in europe are very wary of those to trained in the states! If you're gonna go to orlando make sure it is fully JAA certified. They will have said in the email you got that you have to be available during the timeframe anyhow.

corkjetdriver -
    Any truth to the rumour that EI will have 2 or 3 versions:-

V1. No flight experience

V2. Some Flight experience ie PPL

V3. CPL & MEIR

Cathy do versions of their scheme, maybe EI will too, depending on expereince.

XWB - love your posts, why are EI as a company so anti irish flight schools, i know some one who was interviewed 7 wks ago and was asked 3 times why he didnt go to Jerez or Oxford?????

They may run 2 versions if some people have PPLs...they will not accept applicants with CPL and MEIR as they are DE candidates.
    When I went(in the 70s) I had 55 hours and a licence. There were 12 people in my group and of the 12 8 have experiance and 4 had licences. We were told during selection interviews that if enough people with PPLs made it through they may sent them straight to ATPL level and have the rest with no hours start at PPL level. 4 was not enough so we had to resit PPL exams. It only took 4 weeks to get the flying done and during that time we hour built while the rest got lessons and then when they were hour building intensivly we were going at a slower rate. In the end we all ended up at the same level after 9-10 months and we werent from there.

I have heard suggestions however that Aer Lingus could split the course, or could end up with every applicant having a PPL and they could go straight to ATPL.
    And on the not of asking him about Oxford and Jerez, I would say that was because most people do that and they wanted to see what his motivation was...ties into decision making I would think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Is there any truth in the rumour that this scheme will run for the next 5 years? I find it unlikely, but i'd like to think it would? Here's hoping! :D

Not sure on 'truth' per se. There is a logic behind it though.
    Having a steady number of cadets coming onstream (10-15 annually) over the next 5 years will give EI a certain amount of stability/predictability in their staffing levels. I'm not sure what the flight crew age demographic in EI is, but perhaps they (EI) think they will have an outflow in 2-3 years and this program may be a step to pre-emptively dealing with this situation.

XWB wrote: »
    ALARM BELLS!!! You will exclude yourself for sure!! The only thing Aer Lingus hate more than you going to an Irish flight school is flight training in the states(unless they are running the program themselves)! Quality of training in these places is mixed at best. In an Irish FTO you are subject to IAA examiners so Aer Lingus know you're at the standard needed. In the states andbody can get a PPL and airlines in europe are very wary of those to trained in the states! If you're gonna go to orlando make sure it is fully JAA certified. They will have said in the email you got that you have to be available during the timeframe anyhow.

A friend of mine who has did his PPL in Florida has also gotten through to the 2nd stage and he listed that in his original application.
    As for missing the next stage, it's unfortunate but I can't cancel my Florida plans on the off chance that I get through with EI. Theres no way to tell how many people have gotten through and for how many places.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine who has did his PPL in Florida has also gotten through to the 2nd stage and he listed that in his original application.
    As for missing the next stage, it's unfortunate but I can't cancel my Florida plans on the off chance that I get through with EI. Theres no way to tell how many people have gotten through and for how many places.

That's very true I suppose.

My point however is that unless the school's FTO licence has the JAA logo on it European airlines will not recognise your licence. So just be sure it has the logo! When you have your licence issued it should say "JAA FCL"....I'd hate to think you'd get one with "FAA FCL" on it...because then you would have wasted your money...as you'd need to dish out 1000s and do 30+ hours in Europe for a conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrfantastico

hi guys,do you think it would be a good idea to email are lingus in relation to the leaving cert results,i have only sat my lc this year and won't receive the results until the 17th,do you think they would be willing to make an exception or will they just fob me off ?

thanks for the replies in advance

hi guys,do you think it would be a good idea to email are lingus in relation to the leaving cert results,i have only sat my lc this year and won't receive the results until the 17th,do you think they would be willing to make an exception or will they just fob me off ?

thanks for the replies in advance

You're not the 1st to ask. Another lad emailed and they said they will not accept this year's results.

Sorry to have to say that....

You're not the 1st to ask. Another lad emailed and they said they will not accept this year's results.

Sorry to have to say that....

thanks for the quick reply,its a real kick in the nuts tough,I've wanted to be a pilot all my life and because it closes three days before results come out i miss out,hopefully the reports of 20 a year for the next 5 years is true :(

thanks for the quick reply,its a real kick in the nuts tough,I've wanted to be a pilot all my life and because it closes three days before results come out i miss out,hopefully the reports of 20 a year for the next 5 years is true :(

Well if you want my advice dont sit on your hands. If it takes another year for them to advertise again then you have to do something with this year to show them next year you really want it and that you are working towards it!...if you can get a ppl or if that isnt an option get yourself the PPL theory books and study them so you have a good knowledge. make it so you can convince Aer Lingus nest year that this is your life's work and it's what you want to devote your life to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You would probably be better off heading off to college, get a degree and then applying again when your in a better position. College is more than getting a degree, as much as Id have loved to been a pilot at 18 or 19, theres no way I was nearly mature enough to be in control of a Aircraft IMO, you do alot of growing up in college, I think you will find most of the successful applicants will be out of college or a trade and qualified.
    As has been said earlier, if you really want to be a pilot, (as opposed to wanting the glamour that goes with it) you will find a way :) .

cheers lads,i have applied for aviation technology in DIT this year so hopefully i get it and get more experience etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cheers lads,i have applied for aviation technology in DIT this year so hopefully i get it and get more experience etc

Bolton Street is a good college, youl enjoy it :D

kona wrote: »
    You would probably be better off heading off to college, get a degree and then applying again when your in a better position. College is more than getting a degree, as much as Id have loved to been a pilot at 18 or 19, theres no way I was nearly mature enough to be in control of a Aircraft IMO, you do alot of growing up in college, I think you will find most of the successful applicants will be out of college or a trade and qualified.
    As has been said earlier, if you really want to be a pilot, (as opposed to wanting the glamour that goes with it) you will find a way :) .

While college does help you to grow up(i didnt go but my children have), from a recruitment point of view it is dependant on the applicant. Some can be immature schoolboys while others are very mature young men who may have home circumstances that have forced them to be so. Aer Lingus from what I have seen in the past try and balance the age thing. They try and take a good few 18-22 yos as they want some young long service blood and then they will take another few college boys. When you talk about maturity as far as flying the plane goes, unless you have a 21yo captain it doesnt really matter. That being said if you are immature they will not take you. Age is not a measure of maturity!:D..we all know someone who is that proof of point!
    The one thing I heard highlighted by HR and Standards and Training in Aer Lingus was that taking on college applicants was all well and good, but left the door open for an Engineering Master to decide he doesnt like piloting after 3-5 years and to go back to engineering. There are many in Aer Lingus who prefer their pilots to be dependant on flying and to have it as their only skill and way of feeding the nippers!

That's very true I suppose.

My point however is that unless the school's FTO licence has the JAA logo on it European airlines will not recognise your licence. So just be sure it has the logo! When you have your licence issued it should say "JAA FCL"....I'd hate to think you'd get one with "FAA FCL" on it...because then you would have wasted your money...as you'd need to dish out 1000s and do 30+ hours in Europe for a conversion.

I'm going to fly-OFT who do a JAA course but I'm taking the FAA course as it's cheaper amd I have always intended in doing all my training in the states and then converting back here after. I take it you don't recommend this, but its worked for a few guys I know who are with Ryanair now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

Does anyone know a phone number for the HR folks? I sent them an email on Tuesday afternoon about GCSEs vs leaving certs to the specially made cadet email address and have yet to receive a reply.

With people already completed the assessments and I haven't even been able to get my application in I'm a little unsettled :(

Railjon wrote: »
    Does anyone know a phone number for the HR folks? I sent them an email on Tuesday afternoon about GCSEs vs leaving certs to the specially made cadet email address and have yet to receive a reply.

With people already completed the assessments and I haven't even been able to get my application in I'm a little unsettled :(

The application caters for people with school qualifications outside Ireland.

I'm going to fly-OFT who do a JAA course but I'm taking the FAA course as it's cheaper amd I have always intended in doing all my training in the states and then converting back here after. I take it you don't recommend this, but its worked for a few guys I know who are with Ryanair now.

I wouldnt at all recommend it. But we all make our own way.

As long as you have Maths as a GCSE and you got a B(if memory serves that was the "conversion grade") you should be ok on that front. Are you a Northerner?

It's the two questions:

Have you attained a minimum of 2 C3s or above in higher level leaving certificate subjects? *

Have you received a minimum grade of C3 in ordinary level or D3 in higher level in both Maths and English? *

There's no clause for GCSE equivalents and I dont want to be eliminated on a technicality if you know what I mean.

XWB: Thanks for that that - I wasn't sure what to do! Indeed I am from the North.

It's the two questions:

Have you attained a minimum of 2 C3s or above in higher level leaving certificate subjects? *

Have you received a minimum grade of C3 in ordinary level or D3 in higher level in both Maths and English? *

There's no clause for GCSE equivalents and I dont want to be eliminated on a technicality if you know what I mean.

XWB: Thanks for that that - I wasn't sure what to do! Indeed I am from the North.

As long as you are from the North and you have decent grades you should be grand! Is there a place on the form to indicate you didnt go the LC? or is it just geared toward leaving cert in the question?

XWB,

Thanks again! For me, the issue was the two questions above as I have A-levels and they only want the highest level of secondary education. This is in a seperate table where all fields are typed by the candidate.

For those who have only GCSEs they are supposed to fill them in on the same table as those who would have leaving certs - however the drop down boxes in this table only contain the LC subjects and grading system - very confusing. Thankfully I'm not in that situation and I put in a small note just to clarify the situation :)

Does everyone who meets the basic requirements get through to the online exam round or do they actually put some effort into reading the applications we filled out and then decide based on suitability? Seems like they were asking an awful lot of info for them to just go on LC results.. just wondering if anyone knows?

XWB,

Thanks again! For me, the issue was the two questions above as I have A-levels and they only want the highest level of secondary education. This is in a seperate table where all fields are typed by the candidate.

For those who have only GCSEs they are supposed to fill them in on the same table as those who would have leaving certs - however the drop down boxes in this table only contain the LC subjects and grading system - very confusing. Thankfully I'm not in that situation and I put in a small note just to clarify the situation :)

Well al that you can do is tell them your grades and let them decide! Lap of the gods haha
    rache611 wrote: »
    Does everyone who meets the basic requirements get through to the online exam round or do they actually put some effort into reading the applications we filled out and then decide based on suitability? Seems like they were asking an awful lot of info for them to just go on LC results.. just wondering if anyone knows?

The computer excludes all the apps that dont meet the educational standards. I'd imagine they might have a quick read, but if you have to tick boxes I'd say those who tick the right boxes may putnthemselves into the catagory.
    When the psychometrics come back they will compare them with you application and decide who is best suited or most attrcative to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Between with the Aer Lingus and BA recruitment drives there are no excuses for not being a pilot! I must say Northern Irish people have always benefitted immensely for being both sufficiently Irish for Aer Lingus and sufficiently British for BA :D

Though I have to say during the training programme it was always interesting to encounter the N.Irish lads in the BA cadet classes when the different EI and BA groups got together, you could tell they felt a little awkward!

Advertisement