Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 delta_xray

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    He probably means that AL may recruit those who have already committed to going down that route by already having PPLs, however considering that they wanted a captain with 3,000h on the A330 to do a psychometric test, I wouldnt be at all surprised if they didnt give two cahoots about what flight time you have. If you are the right candidate and you fit their model of what they want, have the ability to talk for yourself and highlight your abilities and be able to relate them to the job in the interview, you should do well regardless of flying time you have accummulated. Not many have the opportunity to do PPLs at 18 - 20 years of age.

Ive also heard some funny stories about EIN not taking experienced pilots. I think there was one guy who worked for Qatar or Emirates (think he was B777 typed), and wanted to go to EIN (why I dont know) but failed on either the psychometric or the sim. Just goes to show how different airlines place certain qualities higher than others. not to mention the maze that is SOPs...
    ABC 123 wrote: »
    I sent you a 'private message' ...better off not putting up names on this! :)

replied to that there.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

XWB wrote: »
    Cadetships in all airlines have a long history of coneheads wanting to step into the right seat

One here haha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oris

Me too, I'm 40 with a degree and a few post-grads, so i'm wondering if they've just filtered based on educational qualifications, although surely if they had their own upper age limit they've sift out older applicants? I got an email to the on-line test, so gonna give me best shot. I know the precedent is virtually 0% of a guy my age becoming an airline pilot, sure if you're not in you can't win! Certainly couldn't argue about the maturity part anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    He probably means that AL may recruit those who have already committed to going down that route by already having PPLs, however considering that they wanted a captain with 3,000h on the A330 to do a psychometric test, I wouldnt be at all surprised if they didnt give two cahoots about what flight time you have. If you are the right candidate and you fit their model of what they want, have the ability to talk for yourself and highlight your abilities and be able to relate them to the job in the interview, you should do well regardless of flying time you have accummulated. Not many have the opportunity to do PPLs at 18 - 20 years of age.

Well I have heard that a lot of options are on the table as far as the applicants go and a few are more ideal than others.

I spoke to a drinking buddy of mine who is now in the admin end of flying in Aer Lingus. He said that he had heard training captains and HR base management staff express a desire to have this crop out and about by Jan - feb '13 to cover the expected losses through age, retirement and moving on elsewhere. In order to achieve this it was suggested that of they took 20 or so with ppls and went straight to ATPL theory(and not cover the already covered PPL ground and air work) they could cut about 2 or 3 months off the course and have TRs done within a year of starting training. ATPLs will only really take you 6 months. A CPL could be done in a week tbh, but we'll say 2. 2 months for MEIR at most and then a month to 6 weeks for MCC and TR. You can easily come in under a year and Aer Lingus are short of pilots so for the 1st batch they may well want to try that.

If you have a PPL and they enquire as to your ground training results(theory) then that is most likely what they are looking at doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

If they wanted people with PPLs and 40 hrs as you say I wish they would just come out and say that it's a requirement. Its not as if this would result in a shortage of applicants.

I can't afford even half a PPL at the moment and I can't go asking my parents for support as they would say that, 'we would have enough money to spend on this cadetship (or any other) if I was successful'. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the cadetship if I have to find six and a half grand (sterling) from somewhere to make myself 'attractive'..

I hold Aer Lingus in the highest regard but if this is really what going on behind the scenes then I'd be better off with Cityjet..

railjon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pamsym

XWB wrote: »
    Well I have heard that a lot of options are on the table as far as the applicants go and a few are more ideal than others.

I spoke to a drinking buddy of mine who is now in the admin end of flying in Aer Lingus. He said that he had heard training captains and HR base management staff express a desire to have this crop out and about by Jan - feb '13 to cover the expected losses through age, retirement and moving on elsewhere. In order to achieve this it was suggested that of they took 20 or so with ppls and went straight to ATPL theory(and not cover the already covered PPL ground and air work) they could cut about 2 or 3 months off the course and have TRs done within a year of starting training. ATPLs will only really take you 6 months. A CPL could be done in a week tbh, but we'll say 2. 2 months for MEIR at most and then a month to 6 weeks for MCC and TR. You can easily come in under a year and Aer Lingus are short of pilots so for the 1st batch they may well want to try that.

If you have a PPL and they enquire as to your ground training results(theory) then that is most likely what they are looking at doing!

XWB you're a wealth of knowledge, genuinely, and you're honesty and insight is fairly refreshing.

I had a bit of a howler on the complex control (blaming it on laptop mousepad) and didn't do great on the verbal reasoning (knew I wasn't gonna do well in it). Have a PPL, hour building almost done and majority of ATPL's done.

This cadetship would just about be advantageous to me still if the rumoured 75k is true, but hoping (without sounding arrogant or cocky) too much experience won't rule me out.

Given your insight, I'd appreciate your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JPkelly

Hi,

I don't know why or how, but I got the email today about progressing to the next round, and I only got my Leaving Cert results today!

Other LC's applying, you might also get to the next round
    Fair play EI! :)

pamsym wrote: »
    XWB you're a wealth of knowledge, genuinely, and you're honesty and insight is fairly refreshing.

I had a bit of a howler on the complex control (blaming it on laptop mousepad) and didn't do great on the verbal reasoning (knew I wasn't gonna do well in it). Have a PPL, hour building almost done and majority of ATPL's done.

This cadetship would just about be advantageous to me still if the rumoured 75k is true, but hoping (without sounding arrogant or cocky) too much experience won't rule me out.

Given your insight, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Well they may take you on, but be assured you will be looking at repeating atleast the ATPL exams and do some hour building while you are there. Problem for you would be that while the others fly and build hours you would be sitting on the ground, if they let you sit back on what you have and didnt force repeats. That could a) make you a bit rustier than the rest and b) exclude you from the "craic" as it were. But in any case I doubt you would get away without having to redo evrything they did. I had a ppl when I joined and I had to do it all again..(after 4 hours of flight training the instructor just sort of said "yeh you can do everything...what will we do for the next 40 hours?"...then he had a smoke..;)..ah the good old days).

railjon -
    If they wanted people with PPLs and 40 hrs as you say I wish they would just come out and say that it's a requirement. Its not as if this would result in a shortage of applicants.

I can't afford even half a PPL at the moment and I can't go asking my parents for support as they would say that, 'we would have enough money to spend on this cadetship (or any other) if I was successful'. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the cadetship if I have to find six and a half grand (sterling) from somewhere to make myself 'attractive'..

I hold Aer Lingus in the highest regard but if this is really what going on behind the scenes then I'd be better off with Cityjet..

railjon

Well to be honest you embody what this cadetship was for in the old days.
    However this one really is an attempt to arrest some problems that are manifesting in the industry in this country(mostly the training market).
    When you ask why they didnt state they wanted 40+ hours and a PPL etc, the answer is simple....because they dont want to be that explicit...they want the max number of applications so they can pick and choose. The chances of getting 20 19-21 yos with ppls in this climate is not great anyhow..so they open the market up a bit...however if they get 20 applicants with PPLs...who are young enough and look fairly good overall the business model kicks in...if they can get off the PPL element of the course they save 10-15k all in...so that is 200-300k overall off the course cost to the company/applicants. It makes business sense. You have 20 cadets trained at a cost of 2 million for the full whack. If you get get 20 good PPL holders and reduce the cost to 1.75 million...that makes good business sense. Also if they have a PPL and are that commited they will answer "jump!" with "how high?" and you can base them in Gatwick or Rwanda and they wont complain!

XWB,

Most of what you say is probably right. But bear in mind it is a part-sponsorship; the cadet is still paying for the majority of training. Most rumours seem to point to 25% of the cost. Lets say that they chip in €25k for each person out of the €100k. That's €400-500k of investment they are putting in in total for this cadet scheme, not 2mil which you state.

PPL costs ~€7000 (using exchange rate, sorry if this is off the mark) with all the examination fees, medical etc. Say Aer Lingus find 20 PPL holders. They would still have to put in €260-€360k of their cash to the cadets. The saving doesn't seem too much, especially for a flag carrier, to me at least, and it wouldn't save the cadet any money as they still would have their €75k share.

I don't have any great point to this post but I wanted to make sure that I had the figures in my head, and try to give other posters an idea of whats going on. Like many others it's difficult to imagine anyone else with more passion for aviation or Aer Lingus than myself but reading stuff like this just makes me very unsettled. I think to myself that I should stop reading the likes of Pprune and this thread to try and stem any fears that I have but I check everyday to see if there has been any good news or other inside scoops that could offer me any hope to realise my dream without spending more bloody money! :(

Sorry for rambling a bit but as the boards.ie slogan says, 'now i'm talkin'..

railjon

Railjon wrote: »
    XWB,

Most of what you say is probably right. But bear in mind it is a part-sponsorship; the cadet is still paying for the majority of training. Most rumours seem to point to 25% of the cost. Lets say that they chip in €25k for each person out of the €100k. That's €400-500k of investment they are putting in in total for this cadet scheme, not 2mil which you state.

PPL costs ~€7000 (using exchange rate, sorry if this is off the mark) with all the examination fees, medical etc. Say Aer Lingus find 20 PPL holders. They would still have to put in €260-€360k of their cash to the cadets. The saving doesn't seem too much, especially for a flag carrier, to me at least, and it wouldn't save the cadet any money as they still would have their €75k share.

I don't have any great point to this post but I wanted to make sure that I had the figures in my head, and try to give other posters an idea of whats going on. Like many others it's difficult to imagine anyone else with more passion for aviation or Aer Lingus than myself but reading stuff like this just makes me very unsettled. I think to myself that I should stop reading the likes of Pprune and this thread to try and stem any fears that I have but I check everyday to see if there has been any good news or other inside scoops that could offer me any hope to realise my dream without spending more bloody money! :(

Sorry for rambling a bit but as the boards.ie slogan says, 'now i'm talkin'..

railjon

ok 1st thing..stop reading Pprune..bull**** factory that it is :rolleyes:

You are right in your reasoning over the fees, however u forget one issue...the bond. The cadet will have a loan for 75k round their neck..but when they are on the line who is giving them the money to pay off the loan? ;)...so albeit indirectly, Aer Lingus are paying the fees. The amount of your wage you repay the loan with is Aer Lingus money...it just passes over your pay-cheque.

On you 2nd note all I can say is dont lose hope. We all dreamed of being a pilot and I was lucky enough to realise my dream, but if you truely want it you'll get it...you just have to keep firing on through the barriers put before you!

• Advertisement

XWB,

Good point again. But in your scenario wouldn't the saving made by Aer Lingus (for PPL vs non-PPL cadets) be diminished even further? i.e. a saving of €7k out of €100k (7%) looks a lot less 'attractive' to AL than say €7k out of €25k (28%)?

About pprune, yes, a lot of it is unashamedly rubbish but I've been around long enough to get rid of my naive-ness :P

railjon

Railjon wrote: »
    XWB,

Good point again. But in your scenario wouldn't the saving made by Aer Lingus (for PPL vs non-PPL cadets) be diminished even further? i.e. a saving of €7k out of €100k (7%) looks a lot less 'attractive' to AL than say €7k out of €25k (28%)?

About pprune, yes, a lot of it is unashamedly rubbish but I've been around long enough to get rid of my naive-ness :P

railjon

Ok well 1st off a PPL done in Ireland(which they will undoubtedly favour) will set you back 12,000e from walking in the door to getting the licence in your hand.

If you have a PPL and the cost drops to 88k even if that is part funded by the cadet, Aer Lingus pay the cadet's wages when he is an FO so they pay the 88k(plus interest) out of their pocket, and this money will likely be taken off the pilot's cheque much like tax is and he will never see it.

If the cadet must pay 75k, then they will be getting a loan. If they have 75k upfront they wont be selected..simple as. So Aer Lingus will be paying the money indirectly. This is the same as the old cadetship moneywise but you are bonded for the full amount not just the MCC and TR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I can't believe some of the moaning and posthulation over potential costs to the cadets.

It's like this, you either embrace the opportunity or you don't. Aer Lingus, in conjunction with a bank, are going to pay for your training. You pay them bak via your wages. This may be in full or in part. Lovely tax incentives all round. You are not being asked to stump up from your own pocket so to speak. Relax. You might not even get selected so don't worry.

Put it another way, Aer Lingus is Willy Wonka and you are Charlie Bucket. Willy wants nice straight-up honest Charlies who will be forever grateful for having their dream and lifetime chocolate needs fulfilled. Willy Wonka dosen't want any ungrateful Veruca Salts or Augustus Gloops (i.e. the snotty types who could buy their way in anyway) because it turns out when you put these boyos in the Wonkavator most of them can't actually fly the fúcker the way Willy likes, and even if they can, they fúck right off to a different chocolate factory as soon as they are able to.

But somewhere in the Wonka metaphor, those little orange-faced Oompa Loompas (i.e Aer Lingus HR & Flight Crew resourcing people) have fúcked up a bit as they have given all the prospective little Charlie Buckets in Ireland the impression that they will have to buy €25-75k's worth of Wonka bars before they can even dream of getting their grubby hands on a Golden Ticket. This means that there might not be enough suitable Charlie Buckets in the recruitment process to chose from because finding someone with the 'right stuff' is very hard at the best of times.

From my own empirical study, past cadet recruitment drives across a number of national chocolate factories airlines would suggest that one in about 300 applicants is selected. If the airline doesn't want dross that means they'll need 6000 applicants just to weed out 20 suitable candidates. If the numbers quoted on this thread are to be believed that dosen't give much hope for Aer Lingus this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 G.JRAB

Railjon I recently finished my PPL (in May to be precise) and from start to finish it cost me slightly over £10,000. I got my PPL in 45.7 hours so was basically on minimum hours. A guy in my club has 50+ hours and is yet to do his qualifying cross country, basically he got messed around by another school beforehand.

It’s very hard to put a firm figure on what a PPL will cost but there is no way you could get one for €7,000. By the time you pay for your medical and all your equipment from books to maps it can be at least €700-1,000. You can get a fATPL in Florida for $40,000 but you wouldn’t touch them, you pay for what you get and if its quality training unfortunately it’s a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

el tel wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the moaning and posthulation over potential costs to the cadets.

It's like this, you either embrace the opportunity or you don't. Aer Lingus, in conjunction with a bank, are going to pay for your training. You pay them bak via your wages. This may be in full or in part. Lovely tax incentives all round. You are not being asked to stump up from your own pocket so to speak. Relax. You might not even get selected so don't worry.

Put it another way, Aer Lingus is Willy Wonka and you are Charlie Bucket. Willy wants nice straight-up honest Charlies who will be forever grateful for having their dream and lifetime chocolate needs fulfilled. Willy Wonka dosen't want any ungrateful Veruca Salts or Augustus Gloops (i.e. the snotty types who could buy their way in anyway) because it turns out when you put these boyos in the Wonkavator most of them can't actually fly the fúcker the way Willy likes, and even if they can, they fúck right off to a different chocolate factory as soon as they are able to.

But somewhere in the Wonka metaphor, those little orange-faced Oompa Loompas (i.e Aer Lingus HR & Flight Crew resourcing people) have fúcked up a bit as they have given all the prospective little Charlie Buckets in Ireland the impression that they will have to buy €25-75k's worth of Wonka bars before they can even dream of getting their grubby hands on a Golden Ticket. This means that there might not be enough suitable Charlie Buckets in the recruitment process to chose from because finding someone with the 'right stuff' is very hard at the best of times.

From my own empirical study, past cadet recruitment drives across a number of national chocolate factories airlines would suggest that one in about 300 applicants is selected. If the airline doesn't want dross that means they'll need 6000 applicants just to weed out 20 suitable candidates. If the numbers quoted on this thread are to be believed that dosen't give much hope for Aer Lingus this time around.

:O

You sir, are a hero.

Btw they say the training starts end of 2011/ start of 2012, has there been any more news on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

el tel, brilliant :D

Im completely of the same impression. If by some stretch of the imagination, the cadet had to pay 75k which I dont see happening, then I would be ruled out immediately. However, I wasnt going to sit there and p!ss and moan about it and thinking about the what if's. In simple I just applied!!!

If your not in you'll never have a chance. As someone said to me, you're not accepting a job, leaving another, asked to fork out thousands of euro, abandoning your family to train in a different country, etc - all you've done is applied for a position and took a test!

Fact, until you've actually been offered a position and have the contract in front of you sign, you havent been asked to do anything! Each stage is simply a stepping stone to the next, its like trying to gen up on the company history / fleet, etc. for the interview stage before you've submitted the application or even sat the aptitude test. You might never even reach the interview!

Thats just my two cents on the issue anyway! Relax folks, no need to been worrying about the intricacies of it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

el tel wrote: »

I couldn't have put it better myself. There is a lot of moaning and groaning on this thread. It's all speculation as nothing has been confirmed yet. Still people are giving out about and feeling hard done by when no one knows yet if they are through to the next round. I would imagine that this is precisely the negative attitude that Aer Lingus does not want

I did say in my post on the previous page that I apologise if I was off the mark as regards costs for a PPL in the south. I used a sample price of £6133 from the Ulster Flying Club (my local) and used the exchange rate. So please don't berate me for that.

Secondly, el tel, you have completely missed my point. I'm not moaning or girning about having to pay for any training costs during a prospective Aer Lingus Cadetship. What I am taking issue with is having to pay for a PPL to make myself look attractive because of my circumstances detailed previously. Maybe you didn't read that bit - I would have to 'stump that up' myself. This seems to go against the mantra of 'helping those out who don't have the money' which I recall from earlier in the thread. Read my post (#458) again if you still don't know what I mean.

railjon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Yeah I completely agree with el tell as well. For me at least, this would be the only path I could take to fulfilling my life long dream of becoming a pilot.

I'm not prepared to spend a borrowed €100k to get my fATPL and then another X amount on a TR in the HOPE that I land a job on the line. It's too much of a risk and could easily destroy the next 20 years of my life if I wasn't lucky.

If I knew I had a job at the end of it, I'd gladly do it though and that's why I consider this to be an excellent opportunity.

kiwster wrote: »
    I couldn't have put it better myself. There is a lot of moaning and groaning on this thread. It's all speculation as nothing has been confirmed yet. Still people are giving out about and feeling hard done by when no one knows yet if they are through to the next round. I would imagine that this is precisely the negative attitude that Aer Lingus does not want

To my mind there are many people who have not done proper homework on how training works. 75k is very cheap for a quality integrated fATPL these days!

el tel's post made me laugh, and it is very true. However Aer Lingus seems to be the type of factory who like the Veruca Salt type...that's why they keep recruiting them it seems. I think that Aer Lingus and BA and many other airlines have copped that any guy who can afford a fATPL in these times is a rich tosser(that why BA have stepped up recruitment..make hay while the sun shines!;)). I know for a fact that many of the recent DE recruits from the "sausage factories" have had immense difficulty passing TR modules, and some standards captains have flatly refused to pass some of them! Because of that there is a real shortage within the shortage now. That is why as I suggested earlier Aer Lingus may look to recruits cadets who will be on the line or at base within a year. Desperate times....

railjon -
    Maybe you didn't read that bit - I would have to 'stump that up' myself. This seems to go against the mantra of 'helping those out who don't have the money' which I recall from earlier in the thread. Read my post (#458) again if you still don't know what I mean.

Unfortunatly Aer Lingus is on that list at the moment. They are in desperate need of pilots but are constrained by serveral issues that I will not go into on a public message board. Many of the people who you will compete with may have PPLs but the company views that as someone who has scraped and saved the little they have to build toward their dream of being a pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

If this thread is a fair microcosm of all the applicants, I have to agree with the willy wonka analogy. Theres so much bull**** and crap in this thread from people who all of a sudden are "enthusiasts". TBH I havnt seen many of these "enthusiasts" applying, or posting here in the last few years when, Ryanair, Air corps and BA were taking on cadets. There wasnt such interest in the Engineering apprenticeship, nor in any of the other apprenticeships that are offered every year.
    All of a sudden Aer Lingus do a pilot cadetship and its turned into somesort of "golden ticket" to guarantee you a job that will get you 60K a year starting and realisations of a daydream you had when you were 9.

If you want to be a pilot so bad, you wouldnt give a **** about having to put up even half the cost of the training, nor would you be asking complete strangers if your good enough, if you dont have that confidence in your abilities, Id find it hard to believe Aer Lingus will too. There are pilots out there that have gotten into the job a harder more scenic route.

Maybe Im being harsh and incorrect but its a observation Ive made.

kona wrote: »
    If this thread is a fair microcosm of all the applicants, I have to agree with the willy wonka analogy. Theres so much bull**** and crap in this thread from people who all of a sudden are "enthusiasts". TBH I havnt seen many of these "enthusiasts" applying, or posting here in the last few years when, Ryanair, Air corps and BA were taking on cadets. There wasnt such interest in the Engineering apprenticeship, nor in any of the other apprenticeships that are offered every year.
    All of a sudden Aer Lingus do a pilot cadetship and its turned into somesort of "golden ticket" to guarantee you a job that will get you 60K a year starting and realisations of a daydream you had when you were 9.

If you want to be a pilot so bad, you wouldnt give a **** about having to put up even half the cost of the training, nor would you be asking complete strangers if your good enough, if you dont have that confidence in your abilities, Id find it hard to believe Aer Lingus will too. There are pilots out there that have gotten into the job a harder more scenic route.

Maybe Im being harsh and incorrect but its a observation Ive made.

I agree.

I was on an interview panel in the 90s and tbh we had people sussed within the 1st minute of interview. You could tell once the applicant started talking if they were a 60k a year man or someone who really burned to be a pilot. From what I have read here, If i was interviewing, I wouldnt be impressed with some of the applicants.

Exactly right, however the problem with a Cadet Scheme like this is they’re always going to attract the guys who seen the full page advertisement in the Irish Independent or whatever of a ‘shiny A320’ then found out the job pays 60k a year so thought ‘the heck with it, i’ll apply for that’.

The quality of applicants may be a cause of concern but hopefully the strategic guys on the other side of the table can sniff out the “60k men”.

G.JRAB wrote: »
    Exactly right, however the problem with a Cadet Scheme like this is they’re always going to attract the guys who seen the full page advertisement in the Irish Independent or whatever of a ‘shiny A320’ then found out the job pays 60k a year so thought ‘the heck with it, i’ll apply for that’.

The quality of applicants may be a cause of concern but hopefully the strategic guys on the other side of the table can sniff out the “60k men”.

The exclusion of the LC students from this year gives a clear signal that Aer Lingus want people who have spent a few years striving toward being a pilot. If you apply and have nothing to "back it up" they will not be interested. They have their methods of fishing out the apatheic applicants, and they are very effective at doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fandango1

The first section of the on line tests got blocked when my internet connection dropped. I mailed the cadets address to get it unblocked but just wondering if anyone knows how long they'll take to unblock it.

fandango1 wrote: »
    The first section of the on line tests got blocked when my internet connection dropped. I mailed the cadets address to get it unblocked but just wondering if anyone knows how long they'll take to unblock it.

Happened me also with the Verbal Reasoning test. I emailed them and they took 2 days to respond and fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dr.Crump

I have heard different from soneone on the HR side.

The cadet can get a loan, but it will need security, ie parents house etc or if you have the cash or your parents do then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 delta_xray

Dr.Crump wrote: »
    The cadet can get a loan, but it will need security, ie parents house etc or if you have the cash or your parents do then happy days.

This seems to be the path BA re taking anyhow.

Dr.Crump wrote: »
    I have heard different from soneone on the HR side.

.....or if you have the cash or your parents do then happy days.

There is very little chance that you will be hired if you have funded it all yourself or have the money in the bank. Aer Lingus will just turn you away to pay for your own training and let someone who cannot fund it themselves have a go. It would mess up the bond and could cause trouble with the other cadets when Aer Lingus start docking money from their wage to pay the bond.

Plus anybody who would fund it themselves would be a serious flight risk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭eurokev

I really cant understand why everyone is complaining about the money. You getting the oppurtunity of a part funded cadetship with a job at the end. Its crazy thinking that aer lingus are looking for people with money on them to pay for the costs immediatly.

I really believe they are not looking for this. The bond system which seems to be the general concenus is in my opinion what is going to be introduced. This will tie you to aer lingus for a number of years so they get value from the investment that some of us will have the honour of receving at the end of the process. Reading this thread Im thinking that some people are thinking that aer lingus are trying to run a type of pyramid scheme. They are not, they are protecting themselves, and are running this to get the best applicant possible and not restraining themselves to candidates who can afford such costs privately and may not reach the standards aer lingus want or the loyalty they are looking for, so they have a bigger pool to pick from

I for one am grateful that this oppurtunity is even afforded to me

Advertisement