Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

It started that way but I've moved onto defending free speech.. :)

Good to see you back again as I have plenty of questions I hope you don't mind answering!

Do you know what engines are on the AL fleet? I found the CFM56B for the A320 & A321 but can't find info on the A330 - 200/300.

Also I had heard that 1 A319 was in storage but can't find other info. Do you know if it was sold or more are on the way?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    It started that way but I've moved onto defending free speech.. :)

Good to see you back again as I have plenty of questions I hope you don't mind answering!

Do you know what engines are on the AL fleet? I found the CFM56B for the A320 & A321 but can't find info on the A330 - 200/300.

Also I had heard that 1 A319 was in storage but can't find other info. Do you know if it was sold or more are on the way?

Cheers

A319 in storage til late this year/next year. More on the way. Ex Iberia I think.

I think its the PW4000 the A330's have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ABC 123

Dont they use the GE CF6-80E1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

GE engines on the A330s.

More are on the way. Last I read at work we were due 4 in total. We are effectively being paid to store the aircraft until they are ready for use due to the complex vagaries of the aircraft leasing world. In essence Iberia who had the aircraft previously were paying over the odds so were more than happy to be shot of them. I understand no decision has yet been made on where they will be deployed. There are lots of rumours going around as to where but the final decision will come from Network Planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Weissbier

I was unfortunately away on holidays when this opportunity arose and therefore missed this chance. I'm curious as to how this campaign was advertised in the public media (TV, Newspaper, etc.) as it seems to be only forum devotees, friends of Flight Crews and a select few that bought the correct news paper or that were possibly booking flights with AerLingus.com during this time frame that knew of this oppurtunity. I would have still expected to hear of an opportunity like this through hearsay alone, but I did not! Maybe I'm wrong but any previous opportunities by Aer Lingus appeared to have had larger public media coverage with a more extended closing dates, (maybe a sign of the times with adveristing bugets being cut accross all sectors). Also, to reinforce a point made by previous a posting with respect to the closing date, why was it not done to tie in with this years Leaving Cert results? I would agree with the other members point that choice of dates was poor as these dates also coincided with traditional peak holiday times.

Also a local flying school of which I'm a member had almost no news on this opportunity (I imagine to protect it's own business), but it only became knowledge on the last few days, and I was surprised with how little knew of this and also missed the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dr.Crump

Weissbier wrote: »
    I was unfortunately away on holidays when this opportunity arose and therefore missed this chance. I'm curious as to how this campaign was advertised in the public media (TV, Newspaper, etc.) as it seems to be only forum devotees, friends of Flight Crews and a select few that bought the correct news paper or that were possibly booking flights with AerLingus.com during this time frame that knew of this oppurtunity. I would have still expected to hear of an opportunity like this through hearsay alone, but I did not! Maybe I'm wrong but any previous opportunities by Aer Lingus appeared to have had larger public media coverage with a more extended closing dates, (maybe a sign of the times with adveristing bugets being cut accross all sectors). Also, to reinforce a point made by previous a posting with respect to the closing date, why was it not done to tie in with this years Leaving Cert results? I would agree with the other members point that choice of dates was poor as these dates also coincided with traditional peak holiday times.

Also a local flying school of which I'm a member had almost no news on this opportunity (I imagine to protect it's own business), but it only became knowledge on the last few days, and I was surprised with how little knew of this and also missed the boat.

It was all over the press and the aer lingus career website and advertsied in flyinginireland

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

did the online tests last week, must say i didnt do that well on the verbal reasoning test not even getting half way through it but i felt the others went fine and the multitasking one at the end went well- heres hoping -keep checking my email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 G.JRAB

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about the Verbal Reasoning, everyone I've talked to barely got half way through (myself included). The workload expected in such a small time frame was impossible.

An EI FO told on Saturday past that if you believe you performed 'average' on the Numerical and Verbal Reasoning sections to not worry too much as EI were more interested in the hand-eye and multitasking tests (tests that can determine good pilot characteristics). He also said he believed they are scanning through each application and weeding people out that way. Now I dont know where he got this information from as further up the thread a guy posted explaining senior captains were still being left in limbo but I suspect he was just trying to 'keep my spirits up'.

Good to see XWB is back on the form posting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

i think i only got to 18 out of 48 on the verbal:rolleyes: it takes me a few times to read things to get it into my head, i remember the numbers one having a mental block with conversion from m2 to hectares, the cubes one was fine, the spatial awareness crashed about 6/7 times(but it was great fun:D), the memory one was ok there were a few that i was unsure about and the test with the same shapes i had one error, but i reckon i couldent have done any better on the multitasking-so we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

I have a day off so I'm having a look here to catch up with you all.

I heard a rumour that the test was almost a carbon copy of the Jerez entry assesment, so that may well answer the location question...or maybe not!

If they are taking this long over it that would suggest they are putting a bit of thought into it. Nice to see I suppose.

I really feel that those tests were just there to weed out the "seriously" bad applicants (as in those who cannot touch their nose...or dyslexic[i mean bad from a pilot point of view..not in general] applicants...or those who have foundation level type skills in maths etc).

You should count yourselves lucky..when I applied it took 3 months to be called to phase 1..and another 4 for phase 2 after that...phase 3 was a week or so later as there were only 30 of us left haha.
    We had no internet...we did it all by mail...and I lived in the middle of nowhere so I had to cycle into Edgeworthstown every morning to ask the postmaster if they had sent me anything!:D Folk were harder in those days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

i think i only got to 18 out of 48 on the verbal:rolleyes: it takes me a few times to read things to get it into my head, i remember the numbers one having a mental block with conversion from m2 to hectares, the cubes one was fine, the spatial awareness crashed about 6/7 times(but it was great fun:D), the memory one was ok there were a few that i was unsure about and the test with the same shapes i had one error, but i reckon i couldent have done any better on the multitasking-so we'll see

Seems a little unfair that you would be expected to know a conversion like that. Its not exactly every day and largely irrelevant. Once you know it, it isnt a test of your numerics, moreso a memory test.

What is it anyway? 10,000m2 per hectare? Id say there was a lot of guessing on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

XWB,

That's something I was wondering - if successful cadets would be made to go through the FTOs own testing again or have the Aer Lingus procedures been approved by Oxford and/or Jerez etc.

The Jerez tests included four written tests (Numerical Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Maths and Physics), two mental dexterity tests (Shape Pattern Recognition and the Green Man test, holding shapes in various configurations) and two joystick tests (Follow the Flight Director and Fly Through the Boxes).

In comparison I'd say that EI had a wider variety of areas being tested but the difficulty levels were more consistent. What I mean is, I found the Flight Director test quite difficult but the Boxes dead easy for example.

railjon

I was just looking through the FTE Jerez site there...
    http://www.ftejerez.com/ba/fpp.php .. click on the tab that says 'Selecting the Right School'. It reads ''Apart from British Airways, FTEJerez's clients include Aer Lingus, BA City Flyer, Cityjet, Emirates, FlyBe, MEA, Qatar Airways and Thomas Cook.'' Thats was written recently because its about the BA cadetship.

Then theres this: http://www.ftejerez.com/career/airline_partners.php
    I am assuming this was written previous to the BA updated part in that website. Aer Lingus looks like it has maybe popped back up in there... but I dont know if there is a history with AL cadets training there or not so maybe somebody could correct me there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Seems a little unfair that you would be expected to know a conversion like that. Its not exactly every day and largely irrelevant. Once you know it, it isnt a test of your numerics, moreso a memory test.

What is it anyway? 10,000m2 per hectare? Id say there was a lot of guessing on that one!

Suppose it would depend on what way it was asked, The engineering apt test asked lots of unit conversions, and IMO youd only get them if you were doing a science or engineering degree or come from that industry. I Know it took me ages to figure out all the mega , giga micros etc when I started in college, especially getting everything in the correct units.

Hectare is 100m x 100m

So 1 Hectare as you say is 10K m2 but 1m2 is 0.0001 hectares! Nasty question TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

A319 in storage til late this year/next year. More on the way. Ex Iberia I think.

I think its the PW4000 the A330's have?
    ABC 123 wrote: »
    Dont they use the GE CF6-80E1?

basill wrote: »
    GE engines on the A330s.

More are on the way. Last I read at work we were due 4 in total. We are effectively being paid to store the aircraft until they are ready for use due to the complex vagaries of the aircraft leasing world. In essence Iberia who had the aircraft previously were paying over the odds so were more than happy to be shot of them. I understand no decision has yet been made on where they will be deployed. There are lots of rumours going around as to where but the final decision will come from Network Planning.

Thanks lads

Do any of you know what the career progression is in AL and how the Senior F/O system works. From what I pieced together it's something like;

F/O Short Haul - F/O Long Haul - Captain Short Haul - Captain Long Haul

Possibly way off here.. and not sure how the Senior F/O system blends into this.

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

F/O A320 - F/O A330 - Captain A320 - Captain A330

Possibly way off here..
    It is based oni seniority and with only 2 types it is as simple as you thought. Some choose to remain as Capt A320 for lifestyle reasons, that's the only thing that tilts the cart. (upset would be too strong a word)

If EI introduced another type in the future ;) then the seniority system would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

XWB wrote: »
    You should count yourselves lucky..when I applied it took 3 months to be called to phase 1..and another 4 for phase 2 after that...phase 3 was a week or so later as there were only 30 of us left haha.
    We had no internet...we did it all by mail...and I lived in the middle of nowhere so I had to cycle into Edgeworthstown every morning to ask the postmaster if they had sent me anything!:D Folk were harder in those days!

Longford man XWB? Down around my neck of the woods :D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭IrishB.ie

F/O Short Haul - F/O Long Haul - Captain Short Haul - Captain Long Haul

Dont forget -> Aer Lingus CEO -> Bigger Airline CEO -> TBA

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Just got the email today. Through to the next stage :)
    I thought I did crap in the online assesment's but I have a CPL so hopefully that pulled my application up a bit.
    Ive just spent the past couple hours reading all of the posts on this thread.

Does anyone know what would be a good way to prepare for a "Group assesment" and "team building" exercises?

Cheers.

You are through to stage 3? That would be odd considering they are still going through the applications....and you have a CPL....

On the whole SFO thing...generally I think an SFO is someone who has unfrozen their ATPL and has hours on both types. Some FOs choose to go short to long and back to short before command for lifestyle reasons...so on the European they are an SFO. But it's a bit of dogey title and just seperates you from the rest..a captain in waiting as such.

I thought I did crap in the online assesment's but I have a CPL so hopefully that pulled my application up a bit.
    Ive just spent the past couple hours reading all of the posts on this thread.

Does anyone know what would be a good way to prepare for a "Group assesment" and "team building" exercises?

Cheers.

Out of curiousity did you put the fact that you had a CPL in your application?

railjon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Well done, what time did you receive the email at today? What date are they holding the assessments in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

Yes. A freind in the airline told me that it was best to be 100% honest because at first I thought I could not apply as I already hold a CPL but I was advised to give it a shot anyways. I also emailed the cadet email address asking if this was ok and I was told that it was fine, as long as I didnt have the full frozen ATPL then I am still in with a chance.

From reading through the posts on this thread it sounds that a few people with a PPL or CPL have also applied.

Is there anything you can do to prepare for a team building/group assesment ? I note that Integrated schools seem to have this process, I'd just like a heads up if anyone has any idea of what to expect?

Cheers

Yeah I know what to expect.... :):p;):D:D:D LOL

Well done!

Do you think all the people invited for the next stage all got an email at once, or is there still a chance for those who didnt get any mail yet? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brennanE_1

Can you confirm this email like why would you apply for a CADETSHIP if you all ready have a CPL because Aer Lingus are Hiring people with CPLs directly so if you can please prove this email that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

brennanE_1 wrote: »
    Can you confirm this email like why would you apply for a CADETSHIP if you all ready have a CPL because Aer Lingus are Hiring people with CPLs directly so if you can please prove this email that would be great.

CPL part is straight forward...its the MEIR MCC that 'can be taught'!!! ;)
    C'mon mate, read the thread....."FAST-TRACK" pops up (albeit not set in stone, makes sense!!!)

ps I believe you...and good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

brennanE_1 wrote: »

prove an email? Some stuff on this thread is mental.

So if CPLs are being taken in as 'cadets' then does that mean that it was the MEIR skills of DEFOs that Aer Lingus weren't happy with? How much do these CPLs cost lol

railjon

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Has anyone heard of PFOs being sent out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

has any1 else heard back yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Those of us who have a CPL, know that in truth it's essentially a PPL flight test flown to a higher standard with a few extras. That's why it's logical for Aer Lingus to accept applicants with CPLs.

Having a CPL won't help getting through the next assessment stage. But if you do, I would suggest that when it comes to interviews. A CPL will be heavily grilled because it will be expected they will be able to demonstrate a greater technical knowledge. It might help to buy one of those books that help prepare already qualified pilots for airline interviews.

For those of you without CPLs, don't worry it's not the advantage it might seem. They may also scrutinise the written exam results. Low scoring passes and repeats may not impress.

Advertisement