Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

xflyer wrote: »
    It might help to buy one of those books that help prepare already qualified pilots for airline interviews.

Here's a good read that covers just about everything.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Ace_the_Technical_Pilot_Interview.html?id=aGL035btsg4C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

Just got the email today. Through to the next stage :)
    I thought I did crap in the online assesment's but I have a CPL so hopefully that pulled my application up a bit.
    Ive just spent the past couple hours reading all of the posts on this thread.

Does anyone know what would be a good way to prepare for a "Group assesment" and "team building" exercises?

Cheers.
    15:48 ! and Im in on the morning of the 22nd.

HI 5. Thanks for your advice. Are you in on the 22nd aswell ?

Part of me thinks you're fibbing. There's been nobody else to confirm that they've gotten a reply. You can't be the only one. If you did indeed get a reply, as you say, I think you've been a little silly to state your experience, time of email and date of assessment. I'm sure some guys in EI are monitoring here.

I find it hard to think they are going through this application process thinking 'sure we'll just see who applies and take it from there'. If they were open to more experience I'm sure that would/should have been said in the blurb for the cadetship. But they didn't. They did state training would take 14 months. MEIR to Type Rating wouldn't take that long...

Let's hope it's all cleared up soon! Good luck if what you say is true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 G.JRAB

dubberdo wrote: »
    Part of me thinks you're fibbing. There's been nobody else to confirm that they've gotten a reply. You can't be the only one. If you did indeed get a reply, as you say, I think you've been a little silly to state your experience, time of email and date of assessment. I'm sure some guys in EI are monitoring here.

I find it hard to think they are going through this application process thinking 'sure we'll just see who applies and take it from there'. If they were open to more experience I'm sure that would/should have been said in the blurb for the cadetship. But they didn't. They did state training would take 14 months. MEIR to Type Rating wouldn't take that long...

Let's hope it's all cleared up soon! Good luck if what you say is true!

Dubberdo I agree. If you have a CPL I'm pretty sure you have went through some type of selection process which may of involved some team building exercise. Every FTO seem to have that exercise to evaluate how well you work within a team so I'm finding it hard to understand why you would ask for advice on that aspect. I’m sure you would of at least heard of it before, it's pretty simple.

That's not the important part, just use two (oh and co-incidentally your mate in Cork) have got the call, yet nobody else here. You stated you thought you did ‘crap’ in the online assessments so if it was just your CPL that pulled your application up I’m sure some of the other guys with similar experience would have also got the call. Even the trolls on PPRuNe haven't declared receiving that 'glorious' email as of yet.

If you’re telling the truth, then fair play! I hope mine will hurry itself up and give my nerves a break. If you’re lying... You’re easily amused!

G.JRAB wrote: »
    Dubberdo I agree. If you have a CPL I'm pretty sure you have went through some type of selection process which may of involved some team building exercise. Every FTO seem to have that exercise to evaluate how well you work within a team so I'm finding it hard to understand why you would ask for advice on that aspect. I’m sure you would of at least heard of it before, it's pretty simple.

I'm a little suspicious myself but I usually give the benefit of the doubt and ain't wound up over it.

Defo not any team building exercises in the majority of places. Unless maybe if you go to a big integrated school where you wear shiney gold bars and a flight case complete with a pair of aviators.. but then if you go there you're usually going to fATPL level and not doing a modular course that would leave you with a just a CPL and no MEIR, MCC.

Generally flight schools want your money, especially now. It wouldn't be wise to turn down €100k ish in any business by imposing a tough selection process, they don't hire you they just train you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Here's a good read that covers just about everything.

Be careful with that book, there are loads of inaccuracies and outright errors contained within. If you use google to do an advanced search on pprune then it should show up.

For the types of technical questions asked at an airline interview then the long running Ryanair thread on pprune should suffice. Its up to 124 pages long at the moment. My suggestion would be to open up a word processor and copy and paste the questions that posters "allegedly" say that come up. Then go to your books and find out the answers if you don't know. Please don't be lazy and take what was posted on the web as it could well be wrong.

Career progression

An earlier poster asked about career progression. The short answer is that at present time to command is running at around 12 years. At a union meeting not so long ago it was stated that the average age of captains is 39 years old. Given that the pension retirement age has now gone out to 60 that is a long time sitting in the LHS before they make way for any new joiners. Having said that the company will in the next few years have a lot of captains sitting at the top of scale so perhaps they will consider another VS scheme. The problem with that idea is that the majority of these captains are relatively young and it will take huge sums of cash to get rid of them which I am not sure AL will be willing to pay. Time will tell but without any expansion career progression will be very slow. As far as I can see unless AL addresses this core issue then it risks becoming a training airline where people join to gain an ATPL and then head off to fly for BA or Virgin.

There have been some people that got command much earlier than 12 years by transferring to the BFS or LGW bases. I would say these opportunities would be very limited in the future, if at all. The company has stated that the LGW base as a whole is tenuous.

If flying medium haul to the East Coast of the US is your thing then the average time to get onto that fleet as an FO seems to be around 8 years. They just announced courses for around 7 new FOs (the first in about 3 years) on the A330 and as far as I can see it hasn't gone down as far as the returning cadets who would have joined just before 9/11. There are 25 of them plus the other 70-100 odd recruited from 2006/2007 to give you a flavour for how long a wait you will be in for. It could well be the case that commands will come around quicker on the A320 than RHS on the A330 if there is no expansion.

To sum up if you are young and don't mind waiting then you will fit the bill. If you are slightly more streetwise (read that as old) then you might want to consider if AL really is the place for you as it might well be the case that you could be a career FO and may never see the LHS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

I can confirm that no offers will be made until "the start of September"(so tomorrow).
    I read the post about a reply earlier and did some digging as I was very surprised a CPL applicant would be called..that coupled with the fact he was more than happy to say when and where he was attending along with his level of experiance.
    I spoke to a friend of mine who is in training and he rubbished this and said no offers have been made to his knowledge...and if they have training and standards are in the dark over it and will be having a stiff word with HR.....

Mind games get us nowhere!

Did that last post by the guy that claimed to get email from EI declaring his 'real' name on here get deleted by mod or was it taken down by himself?

He's either trying to scupper somebody else's chances or is a complete gombín trying to rise conversation to suit his own backround - that of having CPL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ABC 123

Hahaha that was all too weird. Ye I think he did! :)

Did that last post by the guy that claimed to get email from EI declaring his 'real' name on here get deleted by mod or was it taken down by himself?

He's either trying to scupper somebody else's chances or is a complete gombín trying to rise conversation to suit his own backround - that of having CPL...

Did he give his name?

Bad move if he did!

Dirty tricks I'd say!

XWB wrote: »
    Did he give his name?

Bad move if he did!

Dirty tricks I'd say!

He not only declared his name but also invited others to add him on Facebook in order to prove he received an email from EI. Something definitely dodgy about that guy!

• Advertisement

He not only declared his name but also invited others to add him on Facebook in order to prove he received an email from EI. Something definitely dodgy about that guy!

Oh I'm sorry I missed that then :rolleyes:

If he was telling the truth I'd be expecting there to be an SOP written in for pig strike on climb out! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

He took it down himself. We only ever delete stuff that breaks the charter or boards.ie rules. As has been pointed out earlier there are plenty of EI staff both lurking and posting here so don't post anything you can't stand behind.

Lol @ XWB. Pig strike on climbout sure would make a mess. A nice smelling bacon mess if it went through a compressor!

pclancy wrote: »
    He took it down himself. We only ever delete stuff that breaks the charter or boards.ie rules. As has been pointed out earlier there are plenty of EI staff both lurking and posting here so don't post anything you can't stand behind.

Lol @ XWB. Pig strike on climbout sure would make a mess. A nice smelling bacon mess if it went through a compressor!

Tear the engine off the mounting I'd imagine too! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

has any one really heard back yet???? So if EI are selecting 20 cadets & training them... what will happen to other people from modular or integrated courses?? will they still do a direct entry FO recruitment in the future? i hopes hopes hopes so!

nevevix wrote: »
    has any one really heard back yet???? So if EI are selecting 20 cadets & training them... what will happen to other people from modular or integrated courses?? will they still do a direct entry FO recruitment in the future? i hopes hopes hopes so!

Modular students apply...have a good CV and good skills..solid results and get turned away without interview because they are modular and go to Ryanair or Cityjet and then in 5-8 years time apply to Aer Lingus again.

Integrated students apply..get called....turn up with their "MEIR stripes", get slaughtered the "real pilots" at interview for wearing them(is it halloween already?), fail most things...embarass themselves and humanity in the sim...and get turned away and go to Flybe....and Aer Lingus has a meeting and wonders why they can get good pilots......

DE recruitment always runs along fairly consistantly, cadetship or no cadetship. People retire and spots open up. People also get head hunted from Easy on the odd occasion or get a call to come for interview while with another airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

haha.... i know people who did modular & then applied to aerlingus & never heard back but got into ryanair & are working away! but you see, i wouldnt mind working for ryanair- as long as i got a job! & most places are 5 days on 4 days off.. but im a girl & come on i think there is like 10 ryanair female pilots & now because of this cadetship if i started an integrated course in feb by the time i finish, the cadets will just be finished too so im doubtful i would even get an interview....

loads of people say its who u know! & well i dont know any one in it. so im really in 2 minds what to do! i did apply for the cadet, but it was SOO hard!

nevevix wrote: »
    haha.... i know people who did modular & then applied to aerlingus & never heard back but got into ryanair & are working away! but you see, i wouldnt mind working for ryanair- as long as i got a job! & most places are 5 days on 4 days off.. but im a girl & come on i think there is like 10 ryanair female pilots & now because of this cadetship if i started an integrated course in feb by the time i finish, the cadets will just be finished too so im doubtful i would even get an interview....

loads of people say its who u know! & well i dont know any one in it. so im really in 2 minds what to do! i did apply for the cadet, but it was SOO hard!

Look to be honest with you Aer Lingus outside of cadetships usually will take on DE applicants with a few 1000 hours from elsewhere. A lot of guys from Ryanair, Cityjet, Easy, Arran, or instructors etc.
    If you want to PM me I can answer a bit more indepth and with a little bit more "slander" if you catch my drift.
    Modular is the best way to go overall...unless you own an oil-field.

And dont get discouraged by gender! I flew with a lot of women in Aer Lingus in latter years. If anything it's an an advantage for the cadetship....if they have 50 boys and 20 girls...do you think they will take non of the girls and expect to get away with it?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

WEEKEND TIME.....NO CONTACT; SO......................

let the rumours'n'gossip begin!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 787Dreamliner

Still didnt hear anything, dam this waiting!!!!!!
    They are not allowing much time to get ready for the interview, considering they are starting on the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Still didnt hear anything, dam this waiting!!!!!!
    They are not allowing much time to get ready for the interview, considering they are starting on the 19th.

Who said the 19th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

kona wrote: »
    Who said the 19th?

Aer Lingus. Stated on the application that the 19th to the 29th was the time frame for the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Railjon wrote: »
    Aer Lingus. Stated on the application that the 19th to the 29th was the time frame for the next phase.

Id be suprised if it was the 19th, Ive no idea how many HR staff EI have but Id imagine a few will be busy that week as thats the date the Engineering Apprenticeship starts.
    Although after the process for that, HR seems to like making you not have a clue until the last minute!

Not to forget there'll be a lot of Jobbridge applications to go through, the deadline was today.

Those HR folks must be under a lot of pressure at the moment.

Best thing to do is prepare with the impression you're through to the next stage, if not called you're prepared for next time (if there is), if you do get called your ahead of the lads that waited til the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 richgeezer

XWB? Your from Lomgford?

Sorry to hear about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 richgeezer

without a doubt XWB has given each and everyone of us an insite to the selection process with Shamrock............
    Which we are all greatly thankful....many thanks XHB

Im going to make your brains think now........................

I did apply for the aerlimgus cadetship........Im 34yoa........I have 20 hours flight hours.........I run 2 highly successfull and profitable companies...........

And in the VERBAL REASONING test "ID SAY" i answered 5 out of 5 correctly because i could only read five because I ananlysed every word.....

Perhaps i did the wrong thing but it was a hell of a test and a didnt asume and i didint put a wrong answer down.

So those of you that got as far as 20 out os 40 nice one.

I got 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

XWB*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Think XWB has won the old dogs battle here......hated 10% of his posts which gritted me but 90% was on the money so happy days. Besta luck to all.

richgeezer wrote: »
    XWB? Your from Lomgford?

Sorry to hear about that!

No I'm a Dub(schooled in Kildare)...but I moved out to Longford with my mother when I finished school. Bit of a mix really.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

They initially said that they wanted to start in late 2011 & early 2012.

However, late September is cutting it tight for the initial interview - then the assessment again, possibly another interview and then the medical.

To be honest though - I could wait until Summer next year - the wait for this initial interview yes/no letter is what's killing me!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine things will pick up after this selection as it's when they have most applicants to work through.

Yep it's a killer alright, fingers crossed we hear something soon. But hearing the stories from the other lads that had to wait literally months between the initial stages back in the day, now that would be tough!!

Advertisement