Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

According to our latest flight ops newsletter it looks like December for the first batch to start their flight training. They are saying that they will put people through in batches to fit in with slots that are available on the A320 sim next year for the type rating following the conclusion of the CPL/ME/IR wherever that may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KillianDoyle

Don't suppose anyone has any idea where Aer Lingus will send those who make the program, for training? Michigan again maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 787Dreamliner

Just spent the last few hours reading this thred, and i must thank XWB for all the info:D. Its a real pity XWB is not on the interview panel cos im sure the 20 or so cadets he would pick would make the finest cadets around for EI;)

Somebody suggested in another post that XWB should start a questions and answers Thred, i have a lot of questions i would like to ask him too lol.

Best of luck to everybody waiting to hear back from EI, this week comeing should tell alot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I've thought about that "ask a pilot questions" thread idea for a while so here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Don't suppose anyone has any idea where Aer Lingus will send those who make the program, for training? Michigan again maybe?

I don't think WMU is JAA/EASA approved anymore is it? Would have thought AL will go for Oxford or Jerez where there is a precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Someone already mentioned FTE in Jerez as a front runner. It has it's advantages in terms of weather and closeness to home. When I visited there a few years ago. The last Aer Lingus class had left a legacy of their visit in the form of an Airbus? made entirely from empty beer cans. Heineken of course, or should I say 'Hoinekon'. I wonder too if the cat house is still up and running just down the road. An added incentive to get that cadetship!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

xflyer wrote: »
    Someone already mentioned FTE in Jerez as a front runner. It has it's advantages in terms of weather and closeness to home. When I visited there a few years ago. The last Aer Lingus class had left a legacy of their visit in the form of an Airbus? made entirely from empty beer cans. Heineken of course, or should I say 'Hoinekon'. I wonder too if the cat house is still up and running just down the road. An added incentive to get that cadetship!:D

So being charlie sheen or a member of Motley Crue would be a huge factor so in your applications success :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

kona wrote: »
    So being charlie sheen or a member of Motley Crue would be a huge factor so in your applications success :D

Unless you can hold your drink I wouldnt bother applying tbh....surprised that wasnt on the application form...maybe it will be part of the apptitude tests in the next phase! ;)...everyone drinks...last 20 standing...congrats!

Like the good old days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

Cheapest flights from London for the 19th you are talking £120/130 return with either Ryanair or Aer Lingus. Add food and possibly accom. and that means it'll be the die hard that travel for assessment... And if there's a stage after that again you can double that amount. And obviously it'll be more expensive for anyone travelling from further afield...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I think someone speculated earlier that AL would be keen to hire irish only because uk and european pilots tend to gravitate back over to the motherland and fly for the big carriers there once they have a few Aer Lingus hours under their belt. Could be all part of it - deterring international applicants. On the flip side of that, if you were to make the effort and show up it could highlight how determined you are.

There was a guy over on pprune who applied from singapore and was inquiring if Aer Lingus would pay for his flights from Singapore lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

They've said from the 19th - 29th so literally could be anytime in between. The 19th being the worse case scenario for high flight prices. Hopefully they have something out to us this week, I can imagine lads will need time off work too.

True enough if you really want it you'll be there. I had a weeks notice for aptitude tests in the UK before. Thankfully I could swap a day off work so worked the late shift the night before, got the earliest flight possible just wearing my suit and legged it home on the evening flight after the assessments. Flights weren't cheap either but it's worth it for the opportunity.

Bus Eireann have some sort of bus service to/from the UK which might work out cheaper depending where your coming from, more hassle and longer but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Are the aptitude tests being held in London or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 21grams

There cutting it tight now. Or did amybody get any info back yet??

John_Mc wrote: »
    Are the aptitude tests being held in London or something?
    No, we're referring to foreign applicants. London's just an example. I looked up a flight from Amsterdam and it worked out at €250 return for the 19th and you'd need accom. 'cause of flight times. May be indirectly to the Irish applicants benefit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Okey dokey, thanks for your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NxtBigThing

I heard recently that, in past times succesfull applicants dont get called to the interview stage until a week before the date... If this is true, emails might start comming in on monday! HOPEFULLY! The suspence is killing me!!!! >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 richgeezer

and if L.Varadkar flogs the airline there will be no need for cadets:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

Richgeezer, u could b right!!

For those that have not yet heard, here you go http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=62489&locID=1.2&pagename=news maybe thats why nobody has heard anything :(

If Leo does manage to flog EI it won't be until next year. I'm sure the decision is set to go ahead with cadet recruitment. I can't see how Leo would have impacted on it. If anything it's a positive move in general.

Speaking German will be a requisite soon lads... They seem to own everything these days...

I really hope your right dubberdo but What if Ryanair buy the states stake! Do u think MOL will be happy to pay the type ratings? Unless i got a contract to say i am guaranteed the type rating, i would be cautious. And i know the job at the end of it isnt guaranteed, i reckon you have more of a chance getting hired by EI, who organised the cadetship rather than a company who inherited it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

What if Ryanair buy the states stake!

This won't happen, they had 2 failed takeover bids before, even though they own just under 30% of shares they were blocked from a takeover by the European Commission on competition rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NxtBigThing

Better brush up on my german so!
    verdammt noch mal leo!!!

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    This won't happen, they had 2 failed takeover bids before, even though they own just under 30% of shares they were blocked from a takeover by the European Commission on competition rules.

Yeah just saw that on the news, puts my mind at ease a bit. Can anyone in the know tell me if cadets were to be taken on and half way through their training EI change hands, do the new owners have to live up to contracts issued from the old owners.... Business and politics are not my best subject :)

Yeah just saw that on the news, puts my mind at ease a bit. Can anyone in the know tell me if cadets were to be taken on and half way through their training EI change hands, do the new owners have to live up to contracts issued from the old owners.... Business and politics are not my best subject smile.gif

Well, yes, they do have to live up to existing contracts etc... The responsibility will be on you big time either way. You carry the debt and the need to pass exams. A State share is no guarantee in itself. EI will probably put clauses in there, similar to B.A., that state the following:
    • If further additional training does not lead to a cadet pilot reaching the required Future Pilot Programme standard then there may be several options available, ranging from continuing training but outside of the Future Pilot Programme, to ceasing training altogether. If training is ceased altogether, a cadet pilot may be eligible for a partial refund of their security bond as described in the sponsorship agreement. Any refund will be in accordance with the relevant FTO’s failure protection policy, as may be identified on their individual websites. Please refer to the individual FTOs for precise information about their failure protection policy.
    • If a cadet pilot successfully completes all training to the required standards, and pilot vacancies at British Airways exist at that time, they will be offered an unconditional offer of employment as a first officer. From that point on the cadet pilot will become a permanent employee of British Airways Plc.
    • Should this happen [airline not require pilots] and we find there are likely to be delays in employing cadet pilots upon their completion of training we will contact those affected and keep them fully up to date with the situation and our plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JOHNEO

you can be an applicant living abroad and be Irish, I'm sure there are many, would be unfair not to give everyone a fair crack at this. A One week advance notice isn't alot, but if an applicant is seriously motivated and convinced he/she is up to this I can't imagine the money would be an issue, not initially anyway - worry about paying it back or (putting it back) later. Anyone who doesn't break their own or someone else balls to get their isn't truly up for it I would have thought.
    johneo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FlyFloatplanes

JOHNEO wrote: »
    you can be an applicant living abroad and be Irish, I'm sure there are many, would be unfair not to give everyone a fair crack at this. A One week advance notice isn't alot, but if an applicant is seriously motivated and convinced he/she is up to this I can't imagine the money would be an issue, not initially anyway - worry about paying it back or (putting it back) later. Anyone who doesn't break their own or someone else balls to get their isn't truly up for it I would have thought.
    johneo

I'm coming from the far side of Canada if I get the call, and know a couple of lads on the west coast of the U.S who applied too....These flight prices keep on climbing, it's gonna be a painfully expensive flight over...All worth it in the long run if it works out though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm coming from the far side of Canada if I get the call, and know a couple of lads on the west coast of the U.S who applied too.....All worth it in the long run if it works out though
    This is the correct attitude to get a shot at something you really want

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigBirdie

So do you all know if we definately hear back whether we are successful or not? It's not a case of just being ignored if you are unsuccessful?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

BigBirdie wrote: »
    So do you all know if we definately hear back whether we are successful or not? It's not a case of just being ignored if you are unsuccessful?

According to a friend in EI it's still in progress. They haven't sent out either invitations to the next round or rejections yet. This is second (or even third) hand information though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Padlock69

Apparently the son of a friend of a friend in work has already heard back and received confirmation of the next stage. Also they are looking for a large amount of money, not as much as BA but comparable. Again, you might take all this with a pinch of salt for now.

Advertisement