Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

guerito wrote: »

@XWB: do you know if all the invitations have been sent out yet or if more will come next week?

No idea. I wouldnt have that indepth a knowledge of the inner workings or HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Ok thanks. Long shot, I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I would say that figures of around 1000 applicants and only 100-150 getting through to next round are BS, and if correct means that the recruitment programme has been a bit crap. Historically to get 20 really good cadet candidates you'd need about 4000 initial applicants. In the past many ab initio sponsored cadetships had an age cap of 24, and this was generally increased to 28 in because there were not enough of quality candidates to chose from. The whole issue of money has clearly frightened a lot of people off.

Put it this way, the next rounds are where the men & women are separated from the boys & girls. The attrition rate is going to be high from now. If there are only 100-150 people through at this stage then that probably means that there are 5 or 6 places for grabs at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

el tel wrote: »
    I would say that figures of around 1000 applicants and only 100-150 getting through to next round are BS, and if correct means that the recruitment programme has been a bit crap.

I'm not so sure, I would buy into the figure of 1000. Look at the Air Corps, I think only around 650 applied the last time and that's fully paid for training. Lots of other things that would bring down the figure for those that applied like this years Leaving Certs not able to apply. Lots of young people emigrating. Also with the €100k figure mentioned that would definitely scare off lads in negative equity or saddled with big mortgages.

Fair point though, I imagine the figure would be more than 100-150 for the next stage if they're aiming for 20.

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, I would buy into the figure of 1000. Look at the Air Corps, I think only around 650 applied the last time and that's fully paid for training. Lots of other things that would bring down the figure for those that applied like this years Leaving Certs not able to apply. Lots of young people emigrating. Also with the €100k figure mentioned that would definitely scare off lads in negative equity or saddled with big mortgages.

Fair point though, I imagine the figure would be more than 100-150 for the next stage if they're aiming for 20.

I was out at a local rugby game earlier and was talking to some of my former workmates in the pub. Some are on the inside still and expressed the opinion that Aer Lingus got less applications of merit than they have in the past.

They will not just take the best 20..dont assume that. They will require a standard and if only 5 meet that 5 will be the number. From what I have seen and heard the scheme so far seems to have failed and there is a lot of brainstorming going on in HR to see what they can do to rescue it.

On a lighter note it would seem that the assesments have been broken into 3 groups. Seems there may be one for non licence holders, one for licence holders and one for people over a certain age. I would imagine that is because someone with a licence and some aviation experiance would look at an aviation themed problem differently to someone who has not and that may be unfair! And not all invitations have been sent yet I was told!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

XWB wrote: »
    From what I have seen and heard the scheme so far seems to have failed and there is a lot of brainstorming going on in HR to see what they can do to rescue it.

And not all invitations have been sent yet I was told!

It depends on what you use to measure success or failure. I'm not sure what they can ascertain from computerised aptitude tests. If the overall quality of the results aren't good, does that make the scheme a failure?

Surely the scheme will be measured by the quality of the cadets it produces. Whether they stick around and fit into the company, and eventually make command?

I hope not all invites haven't been sent out cos I didn't receive an email and I'm absolutely gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

On a lighter note it would seem that the assesments have been broken into 3 groups. Seems there may be one for non licence holders, one for licence holders and one for people over a certain age.

But we got to choose the date we wanted :confused: Or did we just get to pick from dates set out for that the particular group?? And come to think of it there was a pretty big gap between dates i could choose, there were no assesment dates between 21st and 27th, but maybe another group could pick those dates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

John_Mc wrote: »
    I hope not all invites haven't been sent out cos I didn't receive an email and I'm absolutely gutted :(

Same here man, still no word so fearing the worst. I was following threads here, on pprune and chatting to mates who were receiving emails between 11:00pm and 1:30am, it was like staying up watching the results coming in for the US election!

Was really happy with how I did on the assessments but maybe I came across as an a**hole in the personality tests.. :)

Best of luck to those through to the next stage.

John_Mc wrote: »
    It depends on what you use to measure success or failure. I'm not sure what they can ascertain from computerised aptitude tests. If the overall quality of the results aren't good, does that make the scheme a failure?

Surely the scheme will be measured by the quality of the cadets it produces. Whether they stick around and fit into the company, and eventually make command?

Well from the point of view of taking say 100 people as their goal when they set out and calling them in. That would be a success say.

However currently as it is they would only have about 40 and they are not 100% sure they can get the required numbers that they need out of that. Now thats not to say they wont get them, but they are nervous that they wont have enough of a selection, or may end up with say 2 people who fit the bill. That's a waste of time and moeny on their part.

I was down with a kid who lives down the road from me. He was 18 on the 31st Dec so made it by a day(well done mum), but he pointed out that sending the apptitude tests by email and telling people to return them was a bit unfair because the quaility if people's screen resolution and mouse etc etc may differ and so skew the result. And I thought he had a point. You could have an auld banger of a machine and struggle soley due to that. I know also a lot of people complained about having to use laptops with mouse touch pads.

Look within Aer Lingus over the past 10 years there has been disquiet amongst the senior pilots due to the fact many of the newer intalk were not irish and many felt that the company were damaging flying in Ireland.
    I myself would disagree with hiring policy and firmly believe that Aer Lingus have forced countless pilots out of the country in favour of British Oxford grads who piss off the BA after a couple of years. There are many young Irish pilots who would love to work for Aer Lingus but with financial contraints they go modular and are brushed aside in DE schemes. This only leaves the blow ins from Britain and Europe, who blow out soon after. So these Irish lads go to Ryanair and are flung across europe for years until they cant take anymore...and are head hunted by the Sandpit Crowd. Once they get out there Aer Lingus wages are peanuts and so they dont really want to come home and they stay abroad the rest of their working lives.
    It is sad and I really disagreed with it all throughout my time in Aer Lingus. I would be asked for advice by lads from NFC say on what to do or say at DE interview only to find 6 months later there were 20 Nigels rocking about the place and all those lads were canned. There was one lad who applied in November last year who I chatted to and advised. He was called in for assesment, interviews..spoken down to because he was modular and shown the door.....he's now working in the local Spar.....I'll be some Nigel isnt though...ugh..makes my blood boil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 charlie_123

I'm still to hear from Aer lingus yet, do you reckon so that more invites will be sent out?? I sure hope so!!

• Advertisement

I'm still to hear from Aer lingus yet, do you reckon so that more invites will be sent out?? I sure hope so!!

I heard that there was a 2nd lot to come on Monday.

By the way people wondering about the time of the email being late. I'd say they outsource the assesment to a company overseas and so the time difference would make them late night arrivals here.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Im still waiting to hear back too and am beginning to think that unfortunately I failed to make the grade. However I, and to anyone else out there who may be in the same boat, you cant let it get you down too much. In the end as has been said if we REALLY want it bad enough we'll get there somehow!! And in my case as Im sure in others, that "somehow" is sure going to be a long, winding and uncertain road....

Again XWB I cant but agree with your post. Its sad but appears from whoever you chat to within EI, that the gap between what plays out from HR and what the core of EI (i.e. the pilots) believe will fill this gap is on two totally different spectrums. Its a shame because for such an iconic company like this it really does appear that things are far from smooth in there for the last number of years. I hope that the tide will turn someday!!!! Everybody needs to reach a common goal (management, HR, pilots, etc) and they only way this can ever be achieved is through clear communication and discussion. This however is the problem with most companies so why be it any different here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 G.JRAB

I had an early night last night as I was to spend the whole day up at my local flying club, so was unaware of the movement last night. I’m just back to find I’m also invited to through to the third stage. However two friends of mine (one with PPL, one with 35+ hours) haven’t heard anything back yet. I would be surprised if all the invitations have been sent out as there are 30+ on this thread and around 15 (if even) on pprune who have been invited down to the Radisson.

And I also doubt that the guys who got emailed last night (myself included) are the ‘best of the bunch’ it could well of been just the way the applications came in. I’m not sure. But good luck to everyone else.

If we don’t meet the grade with EI its just a bump in that long road into the RHS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 787Dreamliner

I heard that there was a 2nd lot to come on Monday.

By the way people wondering about the time of the email being late. I'd say they outsource the assesment to a company overseas and so the time difference would make them late night arrivals here.

I hope thats true, i have yet to get an e-mail aswell. when i first applied i was not to bothered about getting the cadetship as i thought i would not be good enough for it, the wrong attitude i know:o. but when i got the e-mail for the online assesment i was really surprised and i thought maybe i have a chance at this.

after seeing this thred and pprune its kinda upsetting to not have been called too, as i was going to give this everything iv got:(

i wish everybody that got true the best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shamrock421

Havent heard a word yet, please god will get some good news on monday.
    I have to thank and agree with what XWB has added to this thread.

I think aerlingus would find a better candidate if they ran there cadet scheme in the old fashioned form !
    If I was in charge and I wanted to recruit, good "Irish" future skippers for my airline and I wanted to do it right and fair this is how I would do it :
    Entry Requirements
    • ICAO/JAA PPL(A)
    • JAA Class 1 medical
    • Full Irish driving licence
    • The right to live and work in the EU
    The Cadetship
    Cadets would work as ops officer assistants within the Aer Lingus HQ on a full time basis. After 3 months, let them start there ATPL ground school distance learning and give them 2 study days a week. Allow them 3 hours building per month with a light aircraft from NFC in Weston. Cadet duties would include cleaning the operations office, sweeping the hanger floor, helping loaders, cleaning aircraft, doing paperwork, delivering the post around to all the personnal in the aerlingus building so over the months they get to know everyone in the company and dont just end up as a number and are actually known as a person, etc. Once the cadet had the ATPL exams done, then they would do the CPL, MEP/ IR/ MCC full time with NFC (or which ever FTO) and then do the A320 type rating.
    The cadet would be bonded for 60 months where by 50% of the initial training costs would be deducted from there monthly salary once they have completed line training.

This in my opionion would mould the ideal company minded pilot ;)

Recruitment Process
    • In house maths / english / physics / personality test
    • Simulator assesment on the NFC sim
    • Meet and greet Pilots who run cadet scheme, HR person etc at a local hotel, few drinks, and Cadet management would give an good overview of the whole scheme. Get a few "irish company minded" current pilots to take the wannabe's out for a meal and a night out on the p!ss in dublin. Interviews would start first thing the next morning!!!!!! Your true being comes out when you are hungover! Also the pilots could report back to management and let them know who they thought where good etc, which ones they could see themsleves having a pint with down route etc in the future and which guys where just not suited.
    That would be how i'd run the show but then again, thats not how its actually happening lol
    The PPL would show you can graft and save cash and you are a hard worker etc. Most people can do the PPL with odd jobs. The ATPL how ever is not possible.

shamrock 421, this a real pity your not picking the cadets cos im almost sure i meet your requirements:D plus i like the idea of going out on the p!ss in dublin with some of EI's pilots, now that would be a night to remember:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shamrock421

shamrock 421, this a real pity your not picking the cadets cos im almost sure i meet your requirements:D

Thanks, mabey Christoph will read this and take this view on board :D

It works out for both parties in every sense! Including financially...!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flyer2oo8

Some people on this board portray an attitude that one must present themselves either as a heavy drinker or dependent on alcohol in order to get on well in Aer Lingus.
    If I was on the panel, I couldn't care less how well the individual completed at each stage of the selection process, if the candidate exhibits a drinking problem, that he/she has to go on the piss every chance they get or nights between flights, then they should be 'kicked out' altogether.

In my opinion, the ideal candidates would either be non-alcoholic drinkers or light drinkers with no dependence on alcohol or any other substance for that matter.

flyer2oo8 wrote: »
    Some people on this board portray an attitude that one must present themselves either as a heavy drinker or dependent on alcohol in order to get on well in Aer Lingus.
    If I was on the panel, I couldn't care less how well the individual completed at each stage of the selection process, if the candidate exhibits a drinking problem, that he/she has to go on the piss every chance they get or nights between flights, then they should be 'kicked out' altogether.

In my opinion, the ideal candidates would either be non-alcoholic drinkers or light drinkers with no dependence on alcohol or any other substance for that matter.

I dont thing that they mean you have to be a raveing alcoholic or dependent on alcohol, if you were like that i dont think you would not have any money for flight training anyway. what some of these posts mean is someone you are with on a stopover that you could at least have a few pints with and a chat in the hotel.

But if it means getting on well in Aer Lingus i say let the drinks flow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

plus i like the idea of going out on the p!ss in dublin with some of EI's pilots, now that would be a night to remembertongue.gifbiggrin.gif
    You would remember it, as you paid back the bar bill for the next few months.
    [/QUOTE]

flyer2008
    Then there'd be no Irish pilots at all but it would give Muslims an excellent opportunity.

Ref XWBs post re the recruitment policy. Completely agree. Their problems are of their own making. The only Irish they hire are those who had to money to go to OAA or FTE AND who get through the tests. This must among to about five or six a year. Unsurprisingly most Irish wannabees come through the modular route and get into Ryanair.

It'll be interesting and illuminating to get reports back from the assessments. Those of you attending on each day, should get a count. This will establish how many actually applied and a guesstimate of your final chances can be worked out, assuming you get through.

Others have said it, there will be a massive cull after the assessments. Dream over for most of you........until next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 flyer2oo8

I dont thing that they mean you have to be a raveing alcoholic or dependent on alcohol, if you were like that i dont think you would not have any money for flight training anyway. what some of these posts mean is someone you are with on a stopover that you could at least have a few pints with and a chat in the hotel.

But if it means getting on well in Aer Lingus i say let the drinks flow:D

You wouldn't know with some Irish folk out there..!

And as for money for flight training, as far as I'm aware and you should be too, the dosh required will be deducted from your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Firstly, I don't want to rain on anyones parade but with the news in the past few days that the government and FR are willing to sell their shares in AL then there exists a hell of a lot of downside risk for someone contemplating forking out a load of dosh to pay for their own training.

None of us know what the future will hold but you certainly need to be asking the right questions and getting a lawyer to review anything before you sign up. Then seek a guarantee (for what its worth) from AL that you won't be left carrying the can should whoever ends up with us decide to can the course before you have recouped your investment ie: got your type rating, paid off your debts and have enough hours on type to make yourself marketable to another airline.

There are loads of scenarios being debated on the flight deck at work from a management buy out, to an IAG purchase through to an asset strip and break up from investors looking to get their hands on the 3/4 of a billion in the bank, a nicely equipped modern fleet and of course the LHR slots. I wouldn't say that any of the above options seem to have much upside for people who could potentially be asked to fork out a significant sum of cash for the "chance" of a job at the end based on successful completion.

Remember AL has a history in canning cadets and tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of such a time. Back then the pilots union had a real degree of backbone and managed to hammer out a deal to get them back in the door when hiring restarted. It "only" took SIX or SEVEN years for this. Thats a lot of time to be paying interest on your debt. Also don't expect the same support from the union in the current climate. It could well be a case of every man for themselves in the not to distant future.

...........that he/she has to go on the piss every chance they get or nights between flights, then they should be 'kicked out' altogether.

That would most likely leave Aer Lingus with no pilots! ;)

On off days there was a great tendency to go and get sloshed together because we couldnt drink when we were in on day terrain.

They dont want an alco, but they dont want a tightarse either...you have to be a bit of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

ahhh flyer2008...lighten up, gee-wizz wouldnt u just be great craic stuck alongside on a long haul flight!!!!!! some people.....
    XWB....thank you; your insight has gone above the call-of-duty ;->
    Basill....v good points, food for thought!?!
    shamrock421 ~ thanks for the giggle hahaha!!!!

AND GOOD LUCK EVERYONE --- LET THE COMPETITION, SORRY MEANT "FUN", BEGIN.........

ps Hope EI look after EIRE boys!!!!! Controversial but HONEST.......

And as for money for flight training, as far as I'm aware and you should be too, the dosh required will be deducted from your salary.

Danger Will Robinson!!
    No you will be saddled with 75k or whatever in your name round your neck!! Aer Lingus wont touch that debt with a barge pole. They will pay your wages so in effect it will be the same but if the feds ask Aer Lingus have never seen that loan before and will deny all knowledge and anyone who says otherwise is lying!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

Can anyone confirm if we'll be retested on the assessments that were done online?

Railjon wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if we'll be retested on the assessments that were done online?

I would assume you would be.

The engineer apprentices were so...

Railjon wrote: »

SHOULDA DONE 'EM YOURSELF :D:D:D LOL :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

Thanks XWB.

Hi 5:
    Oh yer, that's me caught out.. Nice job Sherlock :p

I thought I did rather poorly in some parts of the assessments and would like a chance to improve on them if it improves my chances in the grand scheme of things. The reason I asked was because in the two Phase 3 emails it didn't mention anything about reassessment.

• Advertisement

No worries mate....LOL!

you would imagine they WOULD HAVE TO otherwise it makes a farce of selection process!?!
    SURE ANY1 COULDA DONE 'EM FOR ANY ELSE!!!

interested to see how they come across/represent themselves...hopefully not just a number but a person; hey potential future emplyee????

Hey Cyberspace ~ whats the range of ages out there that have been accepted onto phase3??? curious........

Advertisement