Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

I agree that it would be very strange if they didn't reassess but for whatever reason it could have been a bluff and made an educated guess that no-one would take the risk of having someone else do it. Maybe for time savings or something else, I dunno.

For the purposes of your survey I have not yet reached the age of 20 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 richgeezer

I didnt receive an email.

However non of us knew that Shamrock was going to do a cadet recruitment drive ever again.So If you are so passonate about a life in the skys you have all ready thought of how you are going to get the 130k+ needed to even think of applying to FR.

I am leaving the emerald isle,my family and my westies in Feb for 3 years of high payed low skilled work in a job that is dangerous and highly demanding.
    In my time off I will fly and and study hard to make my dream come true.

XWB and fellow nice posters...What can we all say....You have been so honest and influential and you'se have made us even more determained to be master aviators as you'se are..Many thanks.

I would like to wish the cadets and aspiring pilots on this website all the very best of luck in the future and I'm adament that our paths will cross in the near future.

The very best regards,

Richgeezer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

May I also add to the survey if the people called have licences?

I have had a few kids from around here where I live who have applied picking my brains and of all those who have been called none have licences or any real flight experiance. For me that is unusual and goes against the grain of what I had heard internally.

Perhaps the 1st batch of calls were for non-licence holders?

So anybody got a licence who was called? Because I havent yet heard of 1 PPL holder who has been called! And that is totally unbelieveable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

XWB...u want unbelieveable, I know someone (not second hand gossip!) that is in his 30's with a PPL that got the call for Phase 3!!!

He is delighted, chuffed in fact, but should I tactfully dent his over-exuberance or honestly, HAS HE A CHANCE????

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gat Dayum!

Looking at the postings in here there's definitely something along the lines of non-licence/inexperienced notifications sent out on Friday and more advanced candidates on Monday....

Seems like very few have been pared off from the second stage however doesn't it? Everyone who posts here seems to have been offered stage 3 or will be on Monday.

Has anyone at all received a point blank "no" as yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

Gat Dayum! wrote: »
    Looking at the postings in here there's definitely something along the lines of non-licence/inexperienced notifications sent out on Friday and more advanced candidates on Monday....

Dont know if thats correct. I have 33 hours on a c152, and while i wouldnt yet call myself a pilot, i would like to think that im not "inexperienced", also a fella in the FTO im training in has a PPL and got through to stage 3.

To the people that havent heard anything yet.. Chin up! No news is good news, people were recieving emails up to midnight on friday, i wouldnt be surprised if the poor bugger sending the emails got a pain in his b*****ks and said he'd leave it til monday.... Or something along the lines of this :)

I also applied to the BA FPP, and i like the fact they give you a phone number and email, should you wish to check how your application is progressing, i guess its just that they have so much staff that they are able to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Hi 5 wrote: »
    He is delighted, chuffed in fact, but should I tactfully dent his over-exuberance or honestly, HAS HE A CHANCE????

What exactly are you suggesting by that, I'm in my 30's and got called to the next round. I think I have just as much chance as any of the younger poster's on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

I dont have a ppl yet but have some hours already, still training. Havent heard anything yet myself. If i dont hear from EI, i will just continue with ppl and then sign up with Oxford and do the modular. Not easy going but worth a try. Should have done this ages ago

XWB wrote: »

I have had a few kids from around here where I live who have applied picking my brains and of all those who have been called none have licences or any real flight experiance. For me that is unusual and goes against the grain of what I had heard internally.

So anybody got a licence who was called? Because I havent yet heard of 1 PPL holder who has been called! And that is totally unbelieveable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

bombs away wrote: »
    What exactly are you suggesting by that, I'm in my 30's and got called to the next round. I think I have just as much chance as any of the younger poster's on here.
    I would have thought somebody in their 30's could bring as much, if not more, to the table than somebody just out of school. In this day and age somebody in their 30's could be more attractive given they're less likely to leave once experienced, I would have thought, since they'd be desperate to get up the career scale and settle down somewhat more... Anybody speculating on what EI are looking for are either caressing one's own ego or just snobby. Let EI make the decisions and let's not put anyone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Of course an older candidate can bring more experience to the table. However, in general an older candidate would be less attractive because they are less likely to take direction and apply themselves to the required studies than a young fella/wan straight out of school who is still used to being told what to do. An attitude of "I know it all already" would come more naturally to someone who is more established in life and/or already has a career in a different field, but you have to think that it would be utterly fatal to a cadetship application. You need to wait until you get into the LHS before you can act like that ;)

This is something that will be scrutinised closely in older candidates in the next phase, especially in any group assessment.

• Advertisement

An attitude of "I know it all already" would come more naturally to someone who is more established in life and/or already has a career in a different field, but you have to think that it would be utterly fatal to a cadetship application. You need to wait until you get into the LHS before you can act like that wink.gif

Wasn't CRM meant to get rid of that attitude in skippers? I think your logic may be flawed.

I'm not in my 30's so I have no need to sell the idea somebody older is better or worse. I do think however the opposite to you. Somebody younger will be cockier, over confident and more footloose perhaps. With so many young people having friends emigrating to Oz for the year or two will they ever get that travel itch themselves??? I know I would had I not done my bit of travel... I don't want to prove you wrong, just show that there can numerous perspectives on the same issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

guerito wrote: »
    Of course an older candidate can bring more experience to the table. However, in general an older candidate would be less attractive because they are less likely to take direction and apply themselves to the required studies than a young fella/wan straight out of school who is still used to being told what to do. An attitude of "I know it all already" would come more naturally to someone who is more established in life and/or already has a career in a different field, but you have to think that it would be utterly fatal to a cadetship application. You need to wait until you get into the LHS before you can act like that ;)

This is something that will be scrutinised closely in older candidates in the next phase, especially in any group assessment.

Some of the comment's on this page leave alot to be desired, your opinion that older candiates are less likely to take direction is quite presumptous to be honest.

So by the sounds of it I should'nt even bother turning up for the next stage.

There is an awful lot that someone with life experience can bring to the table and no we dont all have an attitude of "I know it all already". I found that one particularly amusing :rolleyes:

@bombs away: Don't take it personally. I never said that older candidates can bring less to the table. They're more likely to be certain that this is their desired career path, for example. But, whether right or wrong, the ability to learn and take direction is viewed as potentially less in older candidates. This is a generalisation, but it is something that they will be looking out for at interview, the exact same way as they will be looking out for indications of other general "issues" with other types of candidates, such as cockiness in younger or partially qualified candidates, as Dubberdo pointed out. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone - I have a vested interest in how older candidates are viewed myself - and I'm certainly not having a go at you. But it seems to me that the more you know about what they are looking out for (both negative and positive and whether you agree with the issue or not), the better your chances. Just my 2c.

@Dubberdo: That was a joke. No logic required, just stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shamrock421

So far, fridays calling has been a mix. ie, they have invited non-pilots, PPL holders, CPL holders and I know a guy from dublin who has an ATPL(H) but has been out of work since the recession and he has also been invited.
    The only logical thing (because its not been done by name) is they are sending out invations from online assesment scores I would think.

@Dubberdo: That was a joke. No logic required, just stereotypes.

Maybe leave the stand up to the comedians and less of the putting people down... Best of luck to you but people here should fight their corner on their own merits, not other people's perceived lack of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

Hey XWB,

I know a friend who has PPL and 12 Atpls and most of his hour building who got called to phase 3! And i know others with PPL, all Atpls and hours but didn't get called!

I didn't get an email either! I know 2 others with no flying experience who didn't get called! So I'd say it's all on how people performed on the assessment!

Well done to all who got through to the next stage :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flyer2oo8

I have absolutely no flying experience and I am into stage 3 too.

dubberdo wrote: »
    Maybe leave the stand up to the comedians and less of the putting people down... Best of luck to you but people here should fight their corner on their own merits, not other people's perceived lack of...

How was I putting anybody down? Maybe you missed the bit in my post where I said that I have a vested interest in how older candidates are perceived. I'm in my early 30s, so anything that might apply to that category of "older" candidates is relevant to me, and you can be damn sure that I'll be preparing accordingly. So no, I wasn't putting anyone down. I was merely pointing out a potential pitfall in case anyone else in a similar position might have missed it. Like you said though, let everyone fight their corner on their own merits. Best of luck to you too.

nevevix wrote: »
    Hey XWB,

So I'd say it's all on how people performed on the assessment!

It's all speculation. Just sit back and relax and stop worrying about what the procedure is.

At the end of the day, there could be a hundred different reasons as to why a portion of candidates received e-mails on Friday night.

Let everyone fight their corner on their own merits. Best of luck to you too.

What's the point.. What ever you say here to make yourself feel good, has no benefits to the competition.. Their's this board and the competition, two separate entities altogether so stop getting yisser knickers in a twist!

The thread should be kept for constructive comments only and not arguing about who possesses what. Everyone to their own.

• Advertisement

flyer2oo8 wrote: »
    ..so stop getting yisser knickers in a twist!

+1. My point was about recognising concerns that apply to specific kinds of candidates, and it was offered as advice. Point made, moving on.

@Guerito, fair enough. I thought maybe you were a young lad putting down the older guys. Nobody knows what they want apart from the basics; competence, trust worthy, etc, etc. Just go in, get it done and hope for best!

Part of me feels that if EI sends out the invites in two batches it would be quite odd. It would leave a lot of people in limbo and wondering. I say they would have thought it through. So if there are more invites to be sent I would imagine they would be sent on Tues/Wed and would be invites that haven't been taken up by those who received them on Fri/Sat. If that were the case, it would be a minimal amount I imagine...

Maybe they were sent out so late 'cause if they had been sent out over a period of two hours during the day rumours and commentary would be rife about it all...

Will be interesting to see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

Me and my friend applied both of us have only done one of them intoductory flights and have very simular education results, same age etc. My friend got the golden email but i did not. so the only thing i can think of is he did better in the assessments. i'm guessing the reason i haven't got a rejection email yet is beacuse the candidates that got through were told to decide by tuesday what date they wanted or their position could be given to another candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I'v noticed over on ppRune on a similer tread that a lot of the posters that got replys from EI are based oversea's, I think only one was Irish based.

Through the grapewine I heard today that all the selections were made my HR people and that Standards and Training will not come into the process until phase 3.

When I applied they sent out invites and called us all for what was then phase 4(group). There was a 2 week delay after that phase because they were unhappy with the performance of some and felt they could not be called back for final interview..so they sent out more invites to people who were eliminated at phase 3(apptitude tests).

Many of the people I know in Aer Lingus are staying tight lipped about their specific opinion on selection for this cadetship. However I know these guys and I get the sense that they are disheartened and feel this is "more of the same" in relation to hiring policy in the last 10 years.
    Interestingly one guy (who is positioned with influence) said to me "If we go ahead with the cadetship I hope we get a better crop than the last DE". Now I havent heard them say that since they werent sure in March if they were going to run it at all....
    I mentioned above the sense among pilots in Aer Lingus that this cadetship had "failed" and that the volume of applications was lower than anyone thought. In the interest of "keeping it real" as similer to what Basill said above...there is a chance in my opinion that Aer Lingus may can this if they cannot get enough numbers of quality applicants. I dont mean to be negative or put people who have been called down or question their apptitude etc....but the sense I get and the "unofficial word" is HR were hard pushed to meet the standard that the Training Dept laid down...and there is a real sense amongst the ranks that HR dropped the bar to just get numbers in. A lot of the pilots I have spoken to in the last 2 months have said they hoped that this wouldnt be a repeat of the DE schemes of late and that "struggling aviators" would be taken in and given the leg up they need in this recession...the hat heads seem happy...but the ranks are not.

Understand I must be tactful in what I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dublin Reader

Through the grapewine I heard today that all the selections were made my HR people and that Standards and Training will not come into the process until phase 3.

When I applied they sent out invites and called us all for what was then phase 4(group). There was a 2 week delay after that phase because they were unhappy with the performance of some and felt they could not be called back for final interview..so they sent out more invites to people who were eliminated at phase 3(apptitude tests).

Many of the people I know in Aer Lingus are staying tight lipped about their specific opinion on selection for this cadetship. However I know these guys and I get the sense that they are disheartened and feel this is "more of the same" in relation to hiring policy in the last 10 years.
    Interestingly one guy (who is positioned with influence) said to me "If we go ahead with the cadetship I hope we get a better crop than the last DE". Now I havent heard them say that since they werent sure in March if they were going to run it at all....
    I mentioned above the sense among pilots in Aer Lingus that this cadetship had "failed" and that the volume of applications was lower than anyone thought. In the interest of "keeping it real" as similer to what Basill said above...there is a chance in my opinion that Aer Lingus may can this if they cannot get enough numbers of quality applicants. I dont mean to be negative or put people who have been called down or question their apptitude etc....but the sense I get and the "unofficial word" is HR were hard pushed to meet the standard that the Training Dept laid down...and there is a real sense amongst the ranks that HR dropped the bar to just get numbers in. A lot of the pilots I have spoken to in the last 2 months have said they hoped that this wouldnt be a repeat of the DE schemes of late and that "struggling aviators" would be taken in and given the leg up they need in this recession...the hat heads seem happy...but the ranks are not.

Understand I must be tactful in what I say!

"aptitude" is spelt with only one p - I don't mean to be negative or put you down or question your aptitude........just saying!

"aptitude" is spelt with only one p - I don't mean to be negative or put you down or question your aptitude........just saying!

Glad to see your 1st post here containing such stimulating conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 high ho

to bring us back on topic again, does anybody have an idea as to what the short questions and answers session with a hr and flight op's rep will involve? personal, aircraft technical or an analysis of how you performed on the other tests on that day.
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emf e

Hey high ho. Had a de entry interview with them last year, didnt get it though. But anyway it went along the lines of going through your application form. Tell us about yourself, which school you go to, college, interests(eg. sports played). What made you want to become a pilot, or in your case why do you want to be a pilot Why aer lingus. Tells us about aer lingus, share price, latest news. How does oil price effect the industry etc. Just know something about the industry. There was a few tech bits but it wont apply, they will prob ask though about there fleet though what type and how many. thats it really beat of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

Glad to see your 1st post here containing such stimulating conversation.

Ha Ha Ha ~ oh so very true!!! :D

(oh hold on, must do spell check b4 i Submit Reply!!!!!)

Advertisement