Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

Tightwad wrote: »
    I am going to take a sit back, watch and chuckle approach to this thread for a wee while. That’s just too much speculation for me to entertain.

I will be going to stage 3 to find out the hard facts, nothing said on this forum will change that! Even though financially i am not in a position to pay the entire training costs.

Absolutely, way too much speculation. I am in the same boat. I am probably 200k in negative equity at the minute so no real chance of saving the money to do the integrated training, but I have the advantage of not being married, no kids, experience from a few years working in s/w industry which I believe could be very relevant. I am quite the aviation nerd and being a pilot would be a dream come true. However, I also have to be a realist. I am going to go to the next phase with a sound head on my shoulders, do the best I can and if I don't get through at least I'll know I gave it my best shot and lost nothing in the process. If I do get through then I'll figure the financials out somehow, (and I don't have rich parents).

What I'm not going to do is give up now because I don't have 100k available to me and base it on what some people on this forum are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 787Dreamliner

kiwster wrote: »
    Absolutely, way too much speculation. I am in the same boat. I am probably 200k in negative equity at the minute so no real chance of saving the money to do the integrated training, but I have the advantage of not being married, no kids, experience from a few years working in s/w industry which I believe could be very relevant. I am quite the aviation nerd and being a pilot would be a dream come true. However, I also have to be a realist. I am going to go to the next phase with a sound head on my shoulders, do the best I can and if I don't get through at least I'll know I gave it my best shot and lost nothing in the process. If I do get through then I'll figure the financials out somehow, (and I don't have rich parents).

What I'm not going to do is give up now because I don't have 100k available to me and base it on what some people on this forum are saying.

Thats the kinda attitude im talking about Kiwster i hope you do really well best of luck:)

chewits wrote: »
    Demanding i would have thought.

And its one thing that every airline or anyone who operates an aircraft looks out for. is that the pilot should not be demanding. Demanding pilots lead to accidents.

Demanding pilots lead to accidents? Where did you read this? Do you have anything to back this up? There's a time and place where a candidate asks what terms and conditions are during an employment selection process. To continue blindly would, in my mind, just be foolish.

In the US, pilots have let their terms and conditions slip so badly that a lot of them earn the same salary as someone flipping burgers in McDonalds. By no means would I say I'm a money grabber but I wouldn't be willing to settle for a life on the bread line so I could "fly the flag" for my country.

Thats the kinda attitude im talking about Kiwster i hope you do really well best of luck:)

Thanks Dreamliner. I wish you the best of luck too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭chewits

Demanding pilots lead to accidents? Where did you read this? Do you have anything to back this up? There's a time and place where a candidate asks what terms and conditions are during an employment selection process. To continue blindly would, in my mind, just be foolish.

In the US, pilots have let their terms and conditions slip so badly that a lot of them earn the same salary as someone flipping burgers in McDonalds. By no means would I say I'm a money grabber but I wouldn't be willing to settle for a life on the bread line so I could "fly the flag" for my country.

Perhaps demanding is the wrong word i was after. Authoritative would be more fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Perhaps demanding is the wrong word i was after. Authoritative would be more fitting.

Captain is always in authority..a good captain anyway

XWB wrote: »

Absolutely!

In authority. But never authoritative. Hence the reasons it is becoming less popular to take in ex military pilots now.

In authority. But never authoritative. Hence the reasons it is becoming less popular to take in ex military pilots now.

Captain must be able to make decisions and enforce them. Must always remember the FO no matter what his ability is less experianced and will look to the captain for guidance in a crisis..so the captain must always be in authority and in control and lay down the course of action. In a crisis the captain's word is final, the FO can offer his opinion but the captain makes the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

I suspect this is some people at the moment:

computer_grief.gif

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

Or.......

wrong.jpg

Captain must be able to make decisions and enforce them. Must always remember the FO no matter what his ability is less experianced and will look to the captain for guidance in a crisis..so the captain must always be in authority and in control and lay down the course of action. In a crisis the captain's word is final, the FO can offer his opinion but the captain makes the call.

As im sure your aware sometimes the captain reserves that much authority the first officer can be afraid to put in a call.

Didnt captains stay in hotels different to the rest of the crew. I believe BA were first to recognise the problem occuring and made all crew stay together. And got them to use first names in cockpit. No more Sir.

The ex military problem is becoming increasingly problematic in eastern countries now particular china, korea and turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 foxtrot hotel

Railjon wrote: »
    I suspect this is some people at the moment:

computer_grief.gif

:pac::pac::pac:

This made me laugh so hard. :D

Chewits,

Out of curiousity are you applying for the cadetship or a pilot yourself?

Chewits,

Out of curiousity are you applying for the cadetship or a pilot yourself?

No i am not.

I am involved in another branch of Aviation. But i have a PPL.

I do not mean to shoot anyone down. But many don't have the correct idea of what is going on right now.

I wish the best to all that go for that interview. If anything it will be experience they will benefit from in the future.

P.S.

Does anyone want to have a discussion about something else aviation related.

Does anyone know why the new 787 doesn't have winglets? It really is bugging me and i don't know anyone in Seattle to find out why? It had winglets in the promo pictures but not on the test aircraft.

So you do have to pay ? Is that the case or people just guessing ?
    cause it said like in website that they pay sum of the money for the training so its hard to know.
    Im still waiting for email aswell, fingers and toes crsssed it will come tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have PPL also like many others it seems.
    I too wont be able get a loan id say but sure il give it a go anyways and see what the craic is.

XWB, what in your view will a hopefull have to display at interview in order to be in with a real chance? Any hints, tips?
    Thanks in advance

P.S.

Does anyone want to have a discussion about something else aviation related.

Does anyone know why the new 787 doesn't have winglets? It really is bugging me and i don't know anyone in Seattle to find out why? It had winglets in the promo pictures but not on the test aircraft.

Maybe you should start another thread related to that? I doesn't have winglets because it doesn't need them. Its wings have been designed in such a way as it doesn't need them. Winglets tend to be retro-fitted to older aircraft's wings to give them better lift/reduce drag thus better fuel efficiency.

So you do have to pay ? Is that the case or people just guessing ?
    cause it said like in website that they pay sum of the money for the training so its hard to know.
    Im still waiting for email aswell, fingers and toes crsssed it will come tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have PPL also like many others it seems.
    I too wont be able get a loan id say but sure il give it a go anyways and see what the craic is.

XWB, what in your view will a hopefull have to display at interview in order to be in with a real chance? Any hints, tips?
    Thanks in advance

Situational Awarness :cool:

• Advertisement

As im sure your aware sometimes the captain reserves that much authority the first officer can be afraid to put in a call.

Didnt captains stay in hotels different to the rest of the crew. I believe BA were first to recognise the problem occuring and made all crew stay together. And got them to use first names in cockpit. No more Sir.

The ex military problem is becoming increasingly problematic in eastern countries now particular china, korea and turkey.

Well thats the skill..to balance control and awareness and also good team management.....*cough* *cough* ;)

Maybe you should start another thread related to that? I doesn't have winglets because it doesn't need them. Its wings have been designed in such a way as it doesn't need them. Winglets tend to be retro-fitted to older aircraft's wings to give them better lift/reduce drag thus better fuel efficiency.
    Old aircraft like the A380?

Cheers Jon. Railjon.

They seem to be boasting quite high performance figures. I would take those with a pinch of salt.

Will be good to see what they continue with in future.

As far as I know the aspect ratio and dihedral are such that it reduces induced drag enough from the tip vortices. May also angle up toward the ends too

I said the "tend" to be retro-fitted to older aircraft, not always the case.

I said the "tend" to be retro-fitted to older aircraft, not always the case.

I know but Bombardiers new C series has winglets. And the A380 the most sophisticated design ever on this planet.

What im trying to say is that this seems like a publicity stunt from Boeing showing that those 3 years late was because they were busy making the aircraft more efficient. When we all know the actual case is that they ****ed up depending on parts from every corner of the globe.

As far as I know the aspect ratio and dihedral are such that it reduces induced drag enough from the tip vortices. May also angle up toward the ends too

Yes it does seem to sweep to a point at the tip. That article Jon posted from Wiki was quite good. Although i will take the figures with a pinch of salt.

And im pretty sure dihedral is for stability only.

Situational Awarness :cool:

Chewits, I will situational awarness you where the sun dont shine if you keep up comment's like that.

Cop on like, was just asking for advice from a user in the know.

No need to be an e-ass about it.

Chewits, I will situational awarness you where the sun dont shine if you keep up comment's like that.

Cop on like, was just asking for advice from a user in the know.

No need to be an e-ass about it.

Sorry Bru.

Just trying to tell you what the want to see in a good pilot. Plenty of Situational Awarness. How to express that in a group and on your own is completley down to yourself.

You need to use good vocabulary, get your points accross quick, clean and with minimal jabber.

Personal Hygene is a must. Imagine having bad breathe at an interview. Or even worse. In the cockpir. [I've been there, longest hour of my life]

Be a team player. But not that much a team player you dont make any points for yourself. Be in control but not controlling.

P.S. I am not in the know.

• Advertisement

Yes it does seem to sweep to a point at the tip. That article Jon posted from Wiki was quite good. Although i will take the figures with a pinch of salt.

And im pretty sure dihedral is for stability only.

Well that sweep will reduce induced drag. And if you are more stable induced drag is less as you put in less control input when flying by hand.

Advertisement