Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 foxtrot hotel

chewits wrote: »
    Sorry Bru.

Just trying to tell you what the want to see in a good pilot. Plenty of Situational Awarness. How to express that in a group and on your own is completley down to yourself.

You need to use good vocabulary, get your points accross quick, clean and with minimal jabber.

Personal Hygene is a must. Imagine having bad breathe at an interview. Or even worse. In the cockpir. [I've been there, longest hour of my life]

Be a team player. But not that much a team player you dont make any points for yourself. Be in control but not controlling.

P.S. I am not in the know.

No bother and sound job. Keep the advice flowing anyone who has it.
    I'll buy you a pint in Jerez yet haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭chewits

XWB wrote: »
    Well that sweep will reduce induced drag. And if you are more stable induced drag is less as you put in less control input when flying by hand.

All very true, but more importantly. Less induced drag is less fuel burn

Sorry thats incorrect.

Less induced drag is less rate of fuel burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Sorry Bru.

Just trying to tell you what the want to see in a good pilot. Plenty of Situational Awarness. How to express that in a group and on your own is completley down to yourself.

You need to use good vocabulary, get your points accross quick, clean and with minimal jabber.

Personal Hygene is a must. Imagine having bad breathe at an interview. Or even worse. In the cockpir. [I've been there, longest hour of my life]

Be a team player. But not that much a team player you dont make any points for yourself. Be in control but not controlling.

P.S. I am not in the know.

You'd also need to spell correctly.... ;) :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

All very true, but more importantly. Less induced drag is less fuel burn

Sorry thats incorrect.

Less induced drag is less rate of fuel burn.

Well that was implied in what I said haha

P.S.

If you talk like a bog man or at 100mph you probably wont be picked.

PPS

I have nothing against bog men.

• Advertisement

You'd also need to spell correctly.... ;) :rolleyes: :D

I was well known for getting both 10/10 in my spelling test and times tables on a Friday afternoon.

:cool:

P.S.

If you talk like a bog man or at 100mph you probably wont be picked.

PPS

I have nothing against bog men.

Excuse me! You can forget about that pint now altogether!!

Can you explain to me and the rest of us reading this thread what a bog man is?

Excuse me! You can forget about that pint now altogether!!

Can you explain to me and the rest of us reading this thread what a bog man is?
    Bogmen;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCiaAvd5fc8&feature=related

Chewits.. A.K.A Ivor !!

Now, back on thread topic......

I'd rather be Ivor than the other guy given the chance at the interview....:D

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Didnt captains stay in hotels different to the rest of the crew. I believe BA were first to recognise the problem occuring and made all crew stay together. And got them to use first names in cockpit. No more Sir.

The ex military problem is becoming increasingly problematic in eastern countries now particular china, korea and turkey.
    It is called CRM (crew resource management) Look it up.

Facts and references for the info on the 3 named countries?
    Fact and references for captains stating in a different hotel to the other crew?

In relation to all the speculation on costs: until EI tell you how much you don't know. The original advert said 'partly funded by EI' So far that is all the concrete info applicants have to go on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Does anyone want to have a discussion about something else aviation related.
    Oh God!
    Start another thread on whatever aviation topic you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NxtBigThing

No offence to anyone in the previous posts, but i would really appreciate if this thread got back on track and would let people ask questions and get advice of experienced members such as XWB??? It would be much appreciated as i am trying to get as much knowledge going into this interview as possible.

Also everyone should stop speculating on the terms of funding, keep a level head and go with the flow... you cant change the outcome so just try your best!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Mods???

This thread has gone completely off the topic, and havent kept up to date with it in the last 24hrs (the longest period off this topic since it started) it seems as if most of the comments have no advantgaeous reason for being here. For the sake of people GENUINELY interested in this thread, can we PLEASE get back on topic and maybe delete the last two irrelevant pages of posts relating to winglets since it has nothing to do with this topic.
    Rant over! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Im just curious if anyone else has been put through to satge three since the last batch of emails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 J21finn

Did anyone get any emails this morning / last nite ???

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

J21finn wrote: »
    Did anyone get any emails this morning / last nite ???

Nothing yet, the deadline to confirm dates for the first batch of emails sent is today at noon so I'd imagine if there is a second batch of emails it would be today after noon at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Please folks can we stay on the topic of the thread title only "AL Cadet Programme

If you want to discuss other stuff just start a new thread.

Chewits-I don't get you are at, are you actually for real or just trying to wind people up? If you're trying to offer advice and an insight you're going about it in a strange way.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

I tried not to get roped in to this thread but sure here it goes. There is an overwhelming sense of negativity around this cadetship being especially echoed from the comments of some on this forum. I'm sorry but XWB writes like someone in his 20's with the mental maturity of someone in his late teens. After reading his completely insensitive and at times downright derogatory comments with reference in particular to his callous comments about mentally handicapped people and his whole "shagging rant" I would say he is far from the retired captain he has made himself out to be!
    Now back to the point of this whole forum: If you have not made it to the next stage that is too bad and if you have, well done. It's important to stop speculating about what may or not be as it is all based on hearsay. What is important is to start focusing on the next stage of the process and coming across as the best person you can be. If it is for you this should not be too much of a problem. Have an answer ready for why you want to be a pilot. They don't call them airBUSES for no reason - at the end of it all you're a glorified bus driver ferrying people from A to B, nothing more and nothing less - in fact there are probably bus drivers getting paid more than pilots are today. All I'm saying is that make sure you have a good and sound reason for pursuing your dreams for when they ask.
    Stay positive and stay away from this particular topic on this forum as I've yet to hear anything positive on it.
    Best of luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pamsym

This may sound a little bitter on my behalf as I did not receive an invite to stage 3. In no way do I mean to disrespect anyone who did, I'm sure it was well deserved.

However, some of you may have seen on another thread that there is an applicant who has been called to stge 3 who basically said that on his application he stated he did not have a legal right to work in the E.U., and that he "didn't really fill up" the results part of the education section.

A little disappointing to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

pamsym wrote: »
    This may sound a little bitter on my behalf as I did not receive an invite to stage 3. In no way do I mean to disrespect anyone who did, I'm sure it was well deserved.

However, some of you may have seen on another thread that there is an applicant who has been called to stge 3 who basically said that on his application he stated he did not have a legal right to work in the E.U., and that he "didn't really fill up" the results part of the education section.

I wouldn't worry too much, possibly someone trying to wind lads up, plenty of that goes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

pamsym wrote: »

You'd be silly to believe all you read, especially on web forums. There's clearly going to be bitterness on some people's behalf because they have been turned down. But, if you let hearsay get you down further that is your own doing. You've got to put it all down to experience and be positive whatever the outcome.

Here's a useful definition... I think it applies to a bitter lemon here by the name of Chewits. His name is indicative of his age alone... It wouldn't surprise me if he's an afficionado that got turned down at the first hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pamsym

Ah yeah I realise that it could be a wind up but at the same time his english seemed genuinely "dodgy" and also, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

@dubberdo

I agree with ya, bitterness won't help anything progress. Time to move on.

I tried not to get roped in to this thread but sure here it goes. There is an overwhelming sense of negativity around this cadetship being especially echoed from the comments of some on this forum. I'm sorry but XWB writes like someone in his 20's with the mental maturity of someone in his late teens. After reading his completely insensitive and at times downright derogatory comments with reference in particular to his callous comments about mentally handicapped people and his whole "shagging rant" I would say he is far from the retired captain he has made himself out to be!

Right I stepped back when Bearcat did it, and have not risen to other people's jibes, but I have to just say that this above is a gross misrepresentation of what I said!
    This process is insensitive and Aer Lingus will show much less mercy and compassion than I have here! If you dont like what I am saying that is fine, but it is the way things are within Aer Lingus!

I made no derogatory comments about anyone and anybody with a decent grasp of the English language will not see the word "handicapped" and jump on the PC wagon. Let me tell you the word "shag" has been in use since well into the last century and was a corner stone of the Aer Lingus pilot's vocab book!

I seem to be coming under attack from some "accounts"(I have a suspicion they may be the same poster) of late and it all started when the emails were sent. So if people have a problem with what I tell them about the inner workings dont just have a go at me...go tell Aer Lingus! Dont shoot the messenger!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

XWB wrote: »
    Right I stepped back when Bearcat did it, and have not risen to other people's jibes, but I have to just say that this above is a gross misrepresentation of what I said!
    This process is insensitive and Aer Lingus will show much less mercy and compassion than I have here! If you dont like what I am saying that is fine, but it is the way things are within Aer Lingus!

I made no derogatory comments about anyone and anybody with a decent grasp of the English language will not see the word "handicapped" and jump on the PC wagon. Let me tell you the word "shag" has been in use since well into the last century and was a corner stone of the Aer Lingus pilot's vocab book!

I seem to be coming under attack from some "accounts"(I have a suspicion they may be the same poster) of late and it all started when the emails were sent. So if people have a problem with what I tell them about the inner workings dont just have a go at me...go tell Aer Lingus! Dont shoot the messenger!

Theres a ignore function on boards so you dont have to read the ****e some people post. Some people cant grasp everyday conversation without trying to be PC and forcing themselves on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Weissbier

I agree with XWB on many of his posts and most especially his comments on how Aer Lingus and their HR have handled this whole process. People should count themselves really lucky that they even got the opportunity to apply!! The whole process from the outset was poorly handled, 1000 applicants!!! Did HR not ask themselves, why such so low a number? I've heard that a firebrigade in a regional city a few months ago attracted circa 6500 applicants.

I believe the main reason for such a low number has been to it's choice of dates it advertised, short application time and for how long it was advertise. In the past a hugh advertising drive was put in place to alert everyone interested in flying, one weekend in a broadsheet and magazine is not enough.

So in a nutshell count yourselves lucky you got to apply and to also have a reduced pool of applicants (competition). And for those through to the next round best of luck, the cream always comes to the top so just ignore the bitter few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

In fairness to EI everybody who had a look at this part of boards knew weeks before that they were running the cadetship.
    Id imagine most people who actually have a interest in aviation in ireland have flicked through this part of boards.
    I find it very hard to believe that if your genuinely interested in flight, you didnt know about this. Even after they advertised it was in the paper, you had a few weeks to complete the application and aptitude tests.
    I also remember a spar in town claiming the had thousands applying for breakfast roll maker, I wouldnt believe anything I read, there are plenty of jobs out there, the problem is people dont get off their hole and apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

All I can say is thank god the internet and fora were either not so well developed or completely unknown to me back in 1996-1997 because the amount of **** talked would have turned my head.

This thread has become a fúckwits' charter and if I were to use a blocked list I'd only see posts from a handful of people. Some people have come across as genuine, sensible and respectful and others as immature suckers falling for the nonsense.

Some people have asked specific questions of me and I will respond to them via PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paulmcgrath

Dear All,

I had been following the thread on Pprune Re: EI's Cadetship, albeit dead now a while, had i known about this place i wouldn't have wasted my precious time.

Well i have been called for an assessment/interview.

Firstly, i would like to wish all my fellow competitor's the very best of luck, sincerley :).

Secondly i would like to say how much I enjoyed reading through this thread, even though it has strayed off course a little in the last few pages, :(.

Thirdly i would like to ask is does anyone know what the dress code is? It hasn't been mentioned in my invitation and it would be nice not to turn up in a suit while everyone else is casual.

Thanks for all the help guys.

paulmcgrath

Advertisement