Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    Apparently it affects about 1 in 20 men and 1 in 200 women!

Correct!

Land on the nose-wheel? I saw an American Eagle ATR do that at JFK!;) It was a hair-raising experiance...the controller even tailed off half way through a communication when he saw it. He slammed the main gear down eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

XWB wrote: »
    Why that is the case I have no idea.

Nitrogen contains no moisture,its an inert gas,saves on tyre wear,It doesnt expand at temp change,it does not readily react with tyre materials,ah theres another few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 high ho

A320 wrote: »
    Why that is the case I have no idea.

Nitrogen contains no moisture,its an inert gas,saves on tyre wear,It doesnt expand at temp change,it does not readily react with tyre materials,ah theres another few

Number 1 reason, it's non-combustable..

A320 wrote: »

I didnt mean that!;)

I mean the "it's unfair to people who are not aviators"

• Registered Users Posts: 35 antonov225

If you have low white cell counts or low red cell counts or protein deficiency etc you can be caught. Lung capacity should be ok if you exercise. Heart shluld be healthy. Medical history can be an issue for people too.

You will have to present reports from your Drs on any hospital admissions or head injuries.

Interesting, I appreciate your input. For now I'm not going to worry too much about it and concentrate on the next round. If and when it comes time for a medical and I fail, then c'est la vie, it was never meant to be and I'll move on.

Edit: Actually here's a thought: would many of the successful cadets from your course have already acquired a Class 1 on application? I can't imagine it would get you any bonus points. Enthusiasm's important but surely merit and company 'fit' are more important?

• Advertisement

antonov225 wrote: »
    Interesting, I appreciate your input. For now I'm not going to worry too much about it and concentrate on the next round. If and when it comes time for a medical and I fail, then c'est la vie, it was never meant to be and I'll move on.

Edit: Actually here's a thought: would many of the successful cadets from your course have already acquired a Class 1 on application? I can't imagine it would get you any bonus points. Enthusiasm's important but surely merit and company 'fit' are more important?

No it expires after a year and would be a waste of money because you would need a new one for the CPL on the cadetship I'd imagine.

As a pilot it is good to keep fit and keep the body well.

As silly as it sounds the meals you get on the long haul flights have a lot of salt in them and that can be bad for your heart..so always remember to keep it strong a do some cardio work!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

No it expires after a year and would be a waste of money because you would need a new one for the CPL on the cadetship I'd imagine.

As a pilot it is good to keep fit and keep the body well.

As silly as it sounds the meals you get on the long haul flights have a lot of salt in them and that can be bad for your heart..so always remember to keep it strong a do some cardio work!

Push for the burn! Except on fire drills right?

Railjon wrote: »
    Push for the burn! Except on fire drills right?

What I loved was the drills in the sim..and if you were doing well they started piping smoke in and simulating electrical fires and failures and you'd be choking so you had to get the mask on. And the better you were doing the harder they made it. I think I had only 1 engine and an N1 marker on one recurrent check once! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

dubberdo wrote: »
    I highly doubt you are involved and if you are you certainly aren't anywhere near an aircraft. If you are near an aircraft you shouldn't be allowed because in another thread you suggested Ryanair pilots were trained to land on the nosewheel... Just as well you didn't apply for cadetship because you'd be a tough cookie to mould.

Don't forget that he didn't know about the B787 raked wings, one of the major talking points of the airframe. Maybe he works in marketing or admin for an airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gat Dayum!

What I loved was the drills in the sim..and if you were doing well they started piping smoke in and simulating electrical fires and failures and you'd be choking so you had to get the mask on. And the better you were doing the harder they made it. I think I had only 1 engine and an N1 marker on one recurrent check once! :D

I guess being a smoker rules you out totally then?

• Advertisement

Gat Dayum! wrote: »
    I guess being a smoker rules you out totally then?

Nowadays yes...if anyone smokes...I'd pack it in now.

Most people who fail the lung capacity are smokers. They made the requirments tighter after the Swiss Air crash near Nova Scotia and after the Helios too.
    Used to be most pilots smoked. I didnt though haha

Hmm....see the problem is assuming the Class 1 would have to be taken at some stage in November you would be running the risk that lung capacity would actually be worse then if you stopped smoking now cos there's an initial contracting of the stomach cavity during withdrawal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KillianDoyle

I'm guessing at this stage that I didn't make the next round of the programme, as I never received an email since before I took the online assessment, but has anyone gotten an email to say they weren't accepted, or anything? Thought EI might at least put us out of our misery? Haha

Don't think there's been any no emails yet

Reckon they've sent out all the yes emails by now?

Reckon they've sent out all the yes emails by now?

I don't reckon that at all. The mail says that if people don't take up their slots or miss the date to accept it by that the places may be offered to other applicants....which surely would mean more emails

Oh really? Sweet! That's not all bad then! Thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

Kunny wrote: »
    Happy it is probably fair to give credit where it is due. In this case chewit did mention the topic of pass rates etc. which in turn led to XWBs comments on it. I know chewit has an unusual way of addresssing issues at times, but advice from all people involved in the industry should be welcome. If you go in with the attitude that there is only one man of importance (for example your captain) you will not get past the next stage. Best of luck to you, but take all advice graciously.

Kunny dont get me wrong, ill give credit when credit is due. But he made a statement and spoke it like a fact. Telling people, when you dont know for sure that they will be thrown out if you dont get 90% in the ATPLs or you fail one checkrides, is just scare-mongoring. XWB explained what happened in the past and admitted it may be different this time, chewits TOLD you what was going to happen (even though he doesnt know)

Im not saying he is going to be wrong, he may well be correct but he should wait for confirmation of it before making a statement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FlyFloatplanes

Nowadays yes...if anyone smokes...I'd pack it in now.

Most people who fail the lung capacity are smokers. They made the requirments tighter after the Swiss Air crash near Nova Scotia and after the Helios too.
    Used to be most pilots smoked. I didnt though haha

Read a disturbing report about that Swissair crash today...Chilling http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/09/14/swissair-investigation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Just another quick one for those of you who progress through the stages (I wish you all luck) . If you don't have any flying experience in light aircraft, it's definitely worth doing an hour or two in intro flights before making any big decisions. A lot of people have caught the aviation bug only to go up in a 152/172 and realise it's not for them.

It can do no harm, it's expensive but counts in the logbook if nothing else.

• Advertisement

pilot1087 wrote: »
    Just another quick one for those of you who progress through the stages (I wish you all luck) . If you don't have any flying experience in light aircraft, it's definitely worth doing an hour or two in intro flights before making any big decisions. A lot of people have caught the aviation bug only to go up in a 152/172 and realise it's not for them.

It can do no harm, it's expensive but counts in the logbook if nothing else.

2 lads on my course were passionate about flying but had never been up in a light aircraft.....I'd say they were about...10 feet off the ground maybe?...lunch made an encore...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

2 lads on my course were passionate about flying but had never been up in a light aircraft.....I'd say they were about...10 feet off the ground maybe?...lunch made an encore...

Did they continue flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paulmcgrath

Not long now guys. 4 weeks.

Cant wait to get stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

Nausea while flight training is a big problem. I heard one experienced pilot say as much as up to 50% of training pilots feel ill while flying. It isn't for everyone.

Interestingly I was reading an article from AOPA last Oct that said 70 to 80% of pilots that start flight training drop out!!! That's a staggering figure. It didn't go into figures for those people doing the integrated way but still a sizeable number even if the integrated drop outs are a fraction of that total percentage...
    The future of general aviation depends on a steady flow of new pilots. But with 70 to 80 percent of student pilots dropping out of training before they earn a certificate, it’s clear that attrition is a major contributing factor to the serious decline in the pilot population.....

The research covered four main audiences to ensure a well-rounded perspective of the flight training process—student pilots (current and lapsed), pilots, flight instructors, and flight school managers.

kiwster wrote: »
    Did they continue flying?

One guy left straight away as he had vertigo afterward or something. The other guy stayed a few weeks and really tried to overcome it(more power to him) but he admitted himself that it wasnt for him and he left of his own free will.

dubberdo -
    Nausea while flight training is a big problem. I heard one experienced pilot say as much as up to 50% of training pilots feel ill while flying. It isn't for everyone.

Interestingly I was reading an article from AOPA last Oct that said 70 to 80% of pilots that start flight training drop out!!! That's a staggering figure. It didn't go into figures for those people doing the integrated way but still a sizeable number even if the integrated drop outs are a fraction of that total percentage...

I would imagine that refers to those who start fresh with a view to going the whole hog and that would sound correct in my experiance. 30% is about right for the amount of people who succesfully go 0 hours to TR and line. I think there was apublished figure by Aer Lingus on the drop out rate for cadets in the past. It also took into account the people Aer Lingus booted too. It lingered more or less between 15-20%. That's just from memory I dont know where I coulcd check that but it was the figure being thrown about. I have never heard of a cadetship that ended with a 100% yield..there are always atleast 1 or 2 who dont make it for a range of reasons.

It's been taken off the test now(a disgrace in my opinion) but Spinning is one that caught a lot of people out. A lot could not hold the head together to recover a spin or spiral dive and so it was felt that if they were at FL38 over the Atlantic and the A330 spun or spiral dived for example they would not have the stomach to stay in control.(that is a rough example..nobody start a debate on a330 flight characteristics).
    For those who do not know it is a high G manouver(relative to what you will do) and you must learn to recover from it. It can come about from a stall...or if you just fancy scaring the **** out of your nearest and dearest! ;). But a lot just went to pot when they got into the spin and couldnt recover. That was often an issue. It isnt on the PPL test now...which is a disgrace in my opinion! Students must learn to recognise and recover a spin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

But a lot just went to pot when they got into the spin and couldnt recover. That was often an issue. It isnt on the PPL test now...which is a disgrace in my opinion! Students must learn to recognise and recover a spin!
    100% agree. It's mad to think they'll teach you how to stall (which could potentially develop into a spin) and not teach you how to recover from worst case senario. A lot of instructors don't like the experience of it themselves. Imagine a dutch roll (rolling and yawing a figure 8 at the same time) in the direction to the ground and that's a spin. Very weird the first time...

dubberdo wrote: »
    100% agree. It's mad to think they'll teach you how to stall (which could potentially develop into a spin) and not teach you how to recover from worst case senario. A lot of instructors don't like the experience of it themselves. Imagine a dutch roll (rolling and yawing a figure 8 at the same time) in the direction to the ground and that's a spin. Very weird the first time...

I love a good spin myself!:D

It's silly taking it off the required list. Doing stall recovery but not spin recovery. It's like teaching people to take off but not land!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

they were at FL38 over the Atlantic

Thats very low XWB. :D:D:D
    Did the crossing myself in no time this morning, but a bit higher at FL350 Happy days.

With the spirograph aka Lung capacity. Ive only ever done one when I was doing initial class 1 still love the smokes.

The Stall/Spin training was excellent part of my training I did it all in Ireland. Good excercise was the power on stall in a turn in a ould 152. Guess the syllabus has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Interestingly I was reading an article from AOPA last Oct that said 70 to 80% of pilots that start flight training drop out!!!
    That would probably apply mostly to people getting PPLs at their own expense. Plus there are many reasons to stop training, financial, time, finding out that it isn't as easy as it looks. Plus realising that flying isn't for them.

A lot of people like the idea of being a pilot without considering exactly what it entails. Sitting in a small, noisy aircraft for the first time can be overwhelming. I wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid, thought of nothing else. My first ever flight was out of Dublin airport in a Cessna 150, my first flying lesson. The Instructor took me down low over Fairyhouse and we circulated the chase course. I landed with feeling light headed and dizzy but delighted. Others might be put off by such antics. It didn't put me off, unfortunately. I should never have become a pilot. Daft idea.

As for the spin issue, fully agree. I enjoy spins and am fully comfortable with them. Ever done one inverted from 10k to 4k:cool: But a lot of pilots are terrified of them and stalls and are unfamiliar with them. Hence recent discussion after certain accidents.

Better to find out someone won't cope during training than at night over the South Atlantic.

XWB may be aware of this, but I heard of one FO who completely lost it during a serious incident, not a spin, essentially leaving the Captain to handle it alone. I won't go into further detail as it would be easy to identify the individual.

Not good.

Flight sim X does give a very misleading impression of what flying is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

I remember my first lesson in a 172 out of Newtownards during a cloudy and breezy day. Being quite an advanced flight simmer before that I wanted to make sure that I would enjoy all levels of flying and not just the big shiny jets -as well as make sure I could handle the 'live beast'! If anything, the experience had me to wanting to fly small scale more and while my mum was chundering Lough Neagh in the back I loved every minute without feeling the least bit deterred.

Advertisement