Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

boeingboy wrote: »
    they were at FL38 over the Atlantic

Thats very low XWB. :D:D:D

I seem to have neglected my 0.

Although climbing out of Shannon you could manage that I suppose! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

boeingboy wrote: »

The Stall/Spin training was excellent part of my training I did it all in Ireland. Good excercise was the power on stall in a turn in a ould 152. Guess the syllabus has changed.

spins are not a required training anymore, but i did about 7 or 8 spins with my instructor, even tho i didnt want he said it has to be done.
    Little bit lost and confused in my first spin but i defo enjoyed it afterwards. I should be a mandatory part, atleast if it ever happend you have some chance of recovering the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

Xpro wrote: »
    spins are not a required training anymore, but i did about 7 or 8 spins with my instructor, even tho i didnt want he said it has to be done.
    Little bit lost and confused in my first spin but i defo enjoyed it afterwards. I should be a mandatory part, atleast if it ever happend you have some chance of recovering the plane

+1 on that. I had to ask my instructor to do them with me but defo great fun and I feel a lot more confident recovering from them than if I had to try remember text book info whilst hurtling towards the earth! Nothing like learning by doing.

Practicing spins is only a requirement for the instructor rating AFAIK.

I'd say it would be better not only teach spin recovery in VFR weather but to stick the foggles on and practice recovery in simulated IFR. You're prob more likely to get yourself into a spin when you're in cloud and disorientated.

I've noticed in some cadetships they seem to include about 5hrs of aerobatics into the course, wise move.

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    I've noticed in some cadetships they seem to include about 5hrs of aerobatics into the course, wise move.

We logged about 50h aerobatics when I was training! :D We had games of "Battle of Britain". We switched our transponders to standby and chased the BA cadets around and had dog fights. Great craic altogether.

NOTE: If any aviation authority officials are reading this the above statement never happened!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannye92

A yes or no email would be nice at this stage, doubt I've gotten it, but I'd like to be sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 787Dreamliner

dannye92 wrote: »
    A yes or no email would be nice at this stage, doubt I've gotten it, but I'd like to be sure...

same ere danny a yes or no e-mail would be nice just to put us out of our miserey, but i dont think the rejection e-mails will be sent out till after the next phase is complete, as it was said in earlyer posts that we may get a call yet:cool:

lets just hope that some of the people that are through to the next stage are not what EI are looking for, And give us a call:D

same ere danny a yes or no e-mail would be nice just to put us out of our miserey, but i dont think the rejection e-mails will be sent out till after the next phase is complete, as it was said in earlyer posts that we may get a call yet:cool:

lets just hope that some of the people that are through to the next stage are not what EI are looking for, And give us a call:D

in that case an email to say we're on a waiting list or something I hate not hearing anything from them

dannye92 wrote: »
    in that case an email to say we're on a waiting list or something I hate not hearing anything from them

I know how you feel, at lest your not the only one waiting. There's not much we can do except keep checking our e-mail, everytime a fecking e-mail has come to me in the last few days i think it could be EI:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 richgeezer

Be positive chaps.I didnt get one either.:)

Im just after winning the Euromillions anyway, so I will pay for your training for both of you. :D

however if you'se are culchies I will retract the offer:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sly2000

Well i know for sure sure that at least one slot will be open for someone as i neglected to check email until now. And guess what i found? you've guessed it (the golden ticket). i had until tuesday the 13th to acknowledge the email and i only got the email on Saturday morning.......i'm literally sick to the stomach with this, 3 days not checking your email and you're out! Your dream crushed by this internet email system. Damn

richgeezer wrote: »

Im just after winning the Euromillions anyway, so I will pay for your training for both of you. :D

I'll hold you to that :P

Ah no Sly thats unlucky :(

you might aswell buy the shares in AL that the goverment are thinking of selling:D

No way m8.Sorry to hear about that.I'd be spewing:eek:

sly2000 wrote: »
    Well i know for sure sure that at least one slot will be open for someone as i neglected to check email until now. And guess what i found? you've guessed it (the golden ticket). i had until tuesday the 13th to acknowledge the email and i only got the email on Saturday morning.......i'm literally sick to the stomach with this, 3 days not checking your email and you're out! Your dream crushed by this internet email system. Damn

For What? I'd imagine they're getting more then enough off the cadets to keep them afloat airbourne:D
    you might aswell buy the shares in AL that the goverment are thinking of selling:D

For What? I'd imagine they're getting more then enough off the cadets to keep them afloat airbourne:D

You ever seen their books?:rolleyes: Burn through that in a day!:pac:

XWB,what was the best aircraft you ever flew for EI.Did you get a pop at some of the leased in aircraft 767 or L1011 or DC10.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

XWB- if the time came to change type from the A320 to the A330, what are the financial implications on the pilot at this point? Another loan, more expense. Or is it a relatively simple conversion that EI would pay for? Or when changing from Boeing to Airbus and vice versa within other airlines, is this paid for by the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

XWB,what was the best aircraft you ever flew for EI.Did you get a pop at some of the leased in aircraft 767 or L1011 or DC10.

AFAIK The DC10's and L1011's were wet leased and as such were not operated by Aer Lingus flight crew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

sly2000 wrote: »
    I'd get onto the HR about it and appeal it. You have nothing to loose.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

Show off, pullin wheelies when he landed.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

delete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Ah nostalgia, never saw that before despite being around in 1975 and 2006. On youtube someone says the Captain was Aiden Quigley. But who was the FO and FE?

I remember seeing the first EI 747 in those colours, overfly the St Patrick's Day parade in Dublin when it was delivered. I was amazed at how large it was. At the time it was said that in crossing the Atlantic a 747 used enough kerosene to heat a house a for 30 years. At take off power each JT9D burns 4 US gallons a second!

I was a 737 FO when this was filmed I think and was only wet behind the ears haha.

I was picked up in '74(I think I mentioned the wrong year earlier in the thread) and was on the line in late '75..so I may actually have been in TR when this was filmed. Still reminds me of my days in the 747 however.

Tightwad -
    XWB- if the time came to change type from the A320 to the A330, what are the financial implications on the pilot at this point? Another loan, more expense. Or is it a relatively simple conversion that EI would pay for? Or when changing from Boeing to Airbus and vice versa within other airlines, is this paid for by the company?

Aer Lingus paid all the cost for TR when I did it and still do to the best of my knowledge.

The change from 320 to 330 is painless enough. To be honest you could take a 320 pilot who had say 5 years on type and teach him to fly the 330 in a day or 2 realistically. They are fairly similer in many respects. However that would not be great from a safety point of view...but it could be done!

Boeing to Airbus is harder. They fly-by-wire takes a while to get used to and when you have decades on Boeing as I did when I did my 330 TR the dominant nature of the autopilot can be unsettling. Boeing aircraft let the autopilot aid the pilot..Airbus let the pilot watch the autopilot. When I switched to the Airbus I felt a little out of the loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JOHNEO

concerning the often tricky subject of pay, there has already been some figures quoted/estimated for starting Cadet salaries (perhaps understandable) and then starting FO salaries (still surprising), but can someone clarify, with reference to some of the figures already quoted, whether they are refering to basic pay and then define basic pay, as opposed to additional flying pay, sector pay etc. (and define each of these please and how they may vary in any one year).
    In addition, are company pension contributions included in any of the figures quoted by EI relative to those quoted by others in this thread. I am wondering if any of these elements explains the difference between 40k & 60k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigBirdie

I have my interview on Wednesday, starting to get really excited now. Just a question though. I don't know a huge amount about different types of airplanes or the physics of flying. Is that likely to come into question?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

BigBirdie wrote: »
    I have my interview on Wednesday, starting to get really excited now. Just a question though. I don't know a huge amount about different types of airplanes or the physics of flying. Is that likely to come into question?

Probably. If not on the first interview but defintiely at some point. At a basic level knowing about aircraft and the physics of flying shows you have an interest in the aviation sector. You don't have to be a complete anorak but you do need to knew something.

I'm sure the pilots here can recommend a few books...."Flying the Big Jets" by Stanley Stewart perhaps?

Also know the EI fleet, current and future as well as any changes happening over the next 19 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 antonov225

We've all been watching the news regarding the likelyhood of the Government selling and potential buyers including IAG/Lufthansa.

Now, would I be right in assuming that the above potential buyers are more interested in Heathrow slots than the interests of connecting Ireland with the world, and therefore would base their decisions on the needs of shareholders, unlike the Irish government who had a vested interest in the Irish people?

Secondly, according to one article in the Independent (a paper which I am aware almost always consists of lies and slander but for a direct quote I'll acknowledge them), a spokesperson for the gov said:

"Minister Varadkar no longer considers the Government's 25pc stake to be strategic in light of shareholder changes since the initial public offering (in 2006)," said a spokesman for the minister.

"However, any sale would have to realise sufficient value, as recommended by the McCarthy Report. The stake would only be sold to the right buyer, at the right time, at the right price, with the right conditions."

So does this imply that there will be a clause of some sort preventing 'the right buyer' from, say, selling to Ryanair (assuming the EC ruling goes in their favour)???

Ryanair says: "If the Irish government wishes to dispose of its 25% stake in Aer Lingus, and if the government believes any offer from Ryanair for this stake would be unwelcome, then Ryanair is happy to confirm that it will not bid for the government's 25% stake."

Ryanair added that it would welcome another "financially strong" airline or investor to acquire the 25% holding, and "would not rule out" entering into discussions to sell its own stake in Aer Lingus."

But they would say that right? Doesn't mean they won't U-turn later...

Lastly, of course, what does all this mean for the successful cadets? There is no way I'm signing anything that's going to put me in obscene debt within such a volatile company. Who's to say what the new shareholders will want! The independent article states that the Government will not sell until at least the end of the year, which will be after successful cadets have all signed contracts!

Anyone (with knowledge/experience) care to comment?

sources: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/no-decision-on-states-aer-lingus-stake-selloff-until-end-of-year-2878981.html

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/bulletin/dailynews/article/1090102/?DCMP=EMC-BreakingnewsfromMarketing

• Advertisement

antonov225 wrote: »
    Lastly, of course, what does all this mean for the successful cadets? There is no way I'm signing anything that's going to put me in obscene debt within such a volatile company. Who's to say what the new shareholders will want! The independent article states that the Government will not sell until at least the end of the year, which will be after successful cadets have all signed contracts!

Anyone (with knowledge/experience) care to comment?

Well there was always the chance that something like this could happen. If ryanair buy the shares and have a controlling stake then the cadets are "f**ked" and may either have their training abandonned or be forced to renegociate their contract(for 20c a week and a packet of tayto Smokey Bacon..flavour not optional!).
    To be honest if you dreamers get your heads out of the clouds and look at what the experianced lads have said to you, you will see that we have been saying for weeks now that you must take a practical approach and if the conditions they offer you are not good enough then you should consider walking away. I can tell you now that the 1st month of being a pilot is a magical experiance but the realities soon kick in and it becomes yet another job that you have to do! Dont enter in like an ejit thinking "oh i love flying and would be happy on any wage" because that is utter BOLLOCKS and when your kids or gf or wife is asking you for money you dont have you will realise that! You must be well paid and get good conditions or being a pilot is a rubbish job!(and if you dont believe me ask the 100s of Irish FR FOs and even captains who flooded the last Aer Lingus DE campaign)

I've been asked on here and in PMs what Aer Lingus want. And in a sense I can answer now...Aer Lingus would love nothing more than for 20 air heads(in more senses that one) to walk in and sign contracts for rubbish pay and conditions in a backwater base with this baseless idea that things will get better! Because let me tell you, once you sign a contract like that they'll see you as easy money and your pay will always be less if they keep you on!
    Now let me ask you..which would you rather? Get a rubbish offer now and say no thanks...or take a rubbish offer..do your 5 years dangling over the bread line..only to find that after your initial and contract you dont get a payrise and given your mistreatment before you want out...and now must walk away from your livelihood. This is what you must be thinking about above all else in this. When I applied the wages and estimated payscale were openly released...the fact they havent this time would have me cautious.

Remember that you are a resource to them. Like oil and fuel. An company wont sell fuel to Aer Lingus because "omg it's Aer Lingus" they make them pay the going rate and dont undercut themselves...so neither should you!!

Advertisement