Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

XWB wrote: »
    Telling the truth of the situation I think you mean.

And if that scares you then there isnt much more to be told!

Truth=Gossip mongering in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

• Registered Users Posts: 35 eoinmorris

Hey Folks,

I was lucky enough to be invited to the group interview stage. To XWB, I'm not sure why the people he has spoken to are tearing their hair out, I'm not sure anyone had any real opportunity to "shine" in the process as it was quite straightforward. Group discussion and problem solving followed by individual problem solving and presentation. I really hope I'm called to the next stage but who knows!

Flight Ops gave us a talk afterwards and I'm even more excited about the programme now. AL are looking for a group of cadets that they can see develop into quality pilots with a view to retaining them for the entirety of their careers. In their words, they are looking for the Captains and management for 10/15 years time. They are looking for lifers. Which, to me, is quite appealing.

With regard to a comment that this is just a "job" and not the x-factor or a dream, dreams are simply goals with deadlines. True, nobody is going to become a millionaire as a pilot. But I really don't think people are motivated that much by money. I think people are just hoping that the figures add up and the "dream" is financially viable. On that note, the following youtube clip is worrying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJucTcuh-w

Anyway, best of luck to the remaining candidates. And thanks to all who have contributed to the thread in a meaningful way.

EM

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

eoinmorris wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

I was lucky enough to be invited to the group interview stage. To XWB, I'm not sure why the people he has spoken to are tearing their hair out, I'm not sure anyone had any real opportunity to "shine" in the process as it was quite straightforward. Group discussion and problem solving followed by individual problem solving and presentation. I really hope I'm called to the next stage but who knows!

Flight Ops gave us a talk afterwards and I'm even more excited about the programme now. AL are looking for a group of cadets that they can see develop into quality pilots with a view to retaining them for the entirety of their careers. In their words, they are looking for the Captains and management for 10/15 years time. They are looking for lifers. Which, to me, is quite appealing.

With regard to a comment that this is just a "job" and not the x-factor or a dream, dreams are simply goals with deadlines. True, nobody is going to become a millionaire as a pilot. But I really don't think people are motivated that much by money. I think people are just hoping that the figures add up and the "dream" is financially viable. On that note, the following youtube clip is worrying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJucTcuh-w

Anyway, best of luck to the remaining candidates. And thanks to all who have contributed to the thread in a meaningful way.

EM

Did they happen to give you any more info on the conditions of the cadetship? How much will it cost, number of spaces, which FTO, terms & conditions for cadets etc? Or is there still plenty of speculating to be done?

A bit more information alright. Nothing shocking. What you'd imagine, I'd rather not go into it in case I've gotten something wrong. Last thing I want to do is add more bad information to this thread!

Suffice it to say that finance will be required. 14 months training. No info on terms of employment (i.e. wages) as employment won't commence until well into 2013 and who knows what the lay of the land will be at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

eoinmorris wrote: »
    A bit more information alright. Nothing shocking. What you'd imagine, I'd rather not go into it in case I've gotten something wrong. Last thing I want to do is add more bad information to this thread!

Suffice it to say that finance will be required. 14 months training. No info on terms of employment (i.e. wages) as employment won't commence until well into 2013 and who knows what the lay of the land will be at this stage.

Thanks for the info. How many people were in the assessment group? Did they say anything about where the pilots would be based or say that they would definitely be hired at the end of the training.

Two groups of ten. Funny, everyone got on really well with one another. By the end of it we were all chatting openly with each other as if we were all old friends.

Again, no info on employment post cadetship. I think, to be fair, they can't give any info when they don't know what 2013 employment requirements will be.

That said, if they need people, I'm pretty sure they'll be taking the cadets first and foremost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Isn't the saying 'Goals are dreams with deadlines'?

To say 'Dreams are simply goals with deadlines' makes little sense.

A good one for a verbal reasoning test though...

Yes, that's the saying. And yes, what I said makes little sense.

Unless your goal is to realise your dreams by a deadline. Then dreams become goals with deadlines. But that's not really what I meant. Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Interesting video eoin, the situation in the US is pretty bad for younger pilots now. That's what you get when too many dreamers want a certain job. It's not that bad here yet for the most part. But then again we have likes of Manx2. Aer Lingus may always provide a comfortable, if reduced income but many others like Ryanair, most of whose pilots are self employed contractors paid by the flight hour with zero job security.

Having said that, the few non airline pilot jobs are very low paid indeed. There are a couple of survey aircraft flying around Ireland this year. Those guys would spend six to eight hours in C172 in a single flight every flying day. I don't what they're paid but it won't be much. I too have put in sixteen hour days, eight hours in the left seat on occasion. You can get quite numb in certain regions:(

But I'm living the dream:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

hi just a quick 1, Im 32 and ive no flying experience, im not getting my hopes up but im going to give it my best shot. Anyway im trying to find out on the web but to no avail,
    Im wondering would i fail the medical?, I had heart valve replacement surgery 7 yrs ago but im not on any medication(just an annual checkup) and im reasonably fit and play competitive sport.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

hi just a quick 1, Im 32 and ive no flying experience, im not getting my hopes up but im going to give it my best shot. Anyway im trying to find out on the web but to no avail,
    Im wondering would i fail the medical?, I had heart valve replacement surgery 7 yrs ago but im not on any medication(just an annual checkup) and im reasonably fit and play competitive sport.thanks

The only test regarding the heart from Class 1 I remember was an ECG, probably blood pressure too. I know of others that have previous medical history. It was a case of being referred to a consultant by the IAA to make sure all was O.K. I'd say that's the most likely scenario...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NxtBigThing

eoinmorris

Thanks for your information in recent posts, Helpsthe nerves in a way to know what your getting yourself into. If you don't mind sharing, i was wondering what kind of topic of conversation the 'Group Discussion' would be based on, e.g, Current Affairs, Aviation or even the last x-factor auditions?? Preferably one of the first two??? :eek: Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

NxtBigThing let's not forget that this is a competition so any help for you could be potentially costly to me and may cost me my place... Let me just say that the day itself was grand and the group was great fun and it was all quite relaxed. There is really no topic in the world that could prepare you for the day in question and what you will talk about during the group exercise.

Best of luck to all. They did say well over 3000 applied so well done to all for getting this far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jimjop

NxtBigThing let's not forget that this is a competition so any help for you could be potentially costly to me and may cost me my place... Let me just say that the day itself was grand and the group was great fun and it was all quite relaxed. There is really no topic in the world that could prepare you for the day in question and what you will talk about during the group exercise.

Best of luck to all. They did say well over 3000 applied so well done to all for getting this far.

over 3000? a large number alright.did they say how many are left at stage 3? or how many will be asked to stage 4 or anything to that extent?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

Yeah they said over 3000 applied. If there are 15 test days available and they are doing two groups of ten each day well then that's 300 people through. That's pretty much accurate I'd say. Other than that we know there are 20 positions to fill and I'd say (I'm guessing) they will interview between 50-60 max so from this point on you have a one in five shot of getting through to the final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Given there is now feedback from the interviews I feel it inappropriate to quote any people I speak to on the other end as it is not fair on the applicants concerned and benifits nobody.

So there is not much more I can say to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ROGFOR10

happy_head wrote: »
    Rogfor10, its clear you just a bitter and jealous man that clearly was not good enough in the assessments and/or personality test...Although, one read of your posts shows enough of your personality.

Your not what EI wants, get over it. There are 100's more in the same boat as you but you dont hear them putting successful candidates down. Get over yourself.

By reading back on your former posts, you hold nothing more than an "intro flight". Im not going to listen to someone with as much flight experience as you. Sorry.

Can you not read the warning i posted about getting back on track and no more personal stuff?????

Do i have to write it in bold to grab your attention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

First post on this thread so excuse me if I bring up a pertinent point mentioned before.

I've also done the second stage assessment in the last couple of weeks, and while it would be dramatically unfair to some people not reading this to reveal any details, suffice to say it's worthwhile being prepared to engage the brain completely for an hour or two. That said, I found it good fun, and great to chat to everyone especially with them all being so like-minded (in more than one sense of the word, after that aptitude test :P )

pclancy wrote: »
    Can you not read the warning i posted about getting back on track and no more personal stuff?????

Do i have to write it in bold to grab your attention?

What do you expect me to say back?

Nothing, When you're asked earlier in the thread to get back on topic then several posts later you ignore that its pretty frustrating for us.

So I want you to get on with the topic of the thread and not waste pixels trading these insults with people and causing contention.

Nothing, When you're asked earlier in the thread to get back on topic then several posts later you ignore that its pretty frustrating for us.

So I want you to get on with the topic of the thread and not waste pixels trading these insults with people and causing contention.

Im not just going to let it run by me. He should be getting banned for his behavior I'm just sticking up for myself.

If you want to "stick up for yourself" then do it over PM directly to the person concerned.

Pruned some of the more pointless posts from the last few pages.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 richgeezer

I agree with the Mod.Now back on topic with EI Cadetship.........
    Lads... where any of the chicks that went for the next stage tasty:D
    Pruned some of the more pointless posts from the last few pages.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 raxor

Well lads, it seems like it's gonna fall to me to be the first of the grim newsbearers....i finally got put out of my misery and received a nice shiny PFO in the email today.

It might be some consolation if people haven't heard anything yet, as it seems to still be the case that no news is good news.

Best of luck to everyone still involved in the process and a sincere thanks to (most of) the contributers to this thread, notably XWB....it's been an utter wealth of knowledge for the last few weeks and a very interesting read to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

PFO as well /o\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Another one here. Best of luck to everyone still in. It's back to worrying about passing ATPLs for me!

Advertisement