Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Bearcat wrote: »
    Ah, we might be on the sim together;)

I'll be the one taking over and scaring people! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

How are people finding the assessment day? Or does the silence speak volumes?

Tightwad wrote: »
    How are people finding the assessment day? Or does the silence speak volumes?

I think that AeroMec guy made them all paranoid!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AirMechMan

Oops! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 richgeezer

So whats the giggle everyone.What are all the terms and conditions?Who is through to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

Don't think we'll find out for a few weeks who's through to the next round. As for the assessments, I found them alright. I thought they could have done a bit more during the day as there was a lot of waiting around. All said though it was an enjoyable day and the other contestants candidates were all very sound. Does anyone feel any differently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ryan J

What is the next stage?

Ryan J wrote: »
    What is the next stage?

If I remember correctly the next phase is interviews with flight crew/operations etc.

This thread has died a death. Where's all the enthusiasm gone everyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

Well this is a phase where people can't do anything but go for their assessment and wait to hear back. Most questions have been answered for definite and there's nothing to prepare for hence the quiet thread.

Been a while since I did my assessment but I think I did OK, it's always hard to tell in those kinds of situations. I enjoyed meeting employees and other like-minded people. The sponsorship side of things was very surprising and while I don't recall anything specific being said of terms and conditions I don't recall hearing anything that set off alarm bells. I'm in a situation where anything would be a jump up in T&Cs and don't mind being bonded for a couple of years.

Of note I did meet a foreigner with a CPL - nothing against him but ironically he did seem the most disorganised when dealing with the paperwork etc. I would say to people be careful of this thread now, because as all is 'quiet on the Western Front' while people are busy at the Raddison, it's the perfect breeding ground for more rubbish ;)

Yea the thread has certainly slowed down.

Less people concerned i guess. The thread audience is narrowing stage by stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

I think it has slowed down because the people who want answers have now got them straight from EI, and dont need to have people speculating on this thread anymore. It'll probably get a little busier when people start preparing for interviews. Also among the 20 guys and gals in the assessment, none of them spoke highly of this thread or PPRuNE. So maybe thats why were not seeing people posting stuff.

Apparantly there was a very good questions and answers session with head of training and HR and there was no question they did not have an answer for, barr the training location which has yet to be decided. At the assessment my mate was at, someone asked the question about EI helping you get finance, and to peoples surprise, the HR women informed them that Aer Lingus would Write a letter for the bank/building society to show that if you meet the standards in training you WILL become a FO with them.

Nobody in my mates assessment brought up salary question so i cant say much on that. But they reckon 8 cadets will be starting Feb 2011 and then a couple weeks later two groups of 6 head over.

happy_head wrote: »
    I think it has slowed down because the people who want answers have now got them straight from EI, and dont need to have people speculating on this thread anymore. It'll probably get a little busier when people start preparing for interviews. Also among the 20 guys and gals in the assessment, none of them spoke highly of this thread or PPRuNE. So maybe thats why were not seeing people posting stuff.

Apparantly there was a very good questions and answers session with head of training and HR and there was no question they did not have an answer for, barr the training location which has yet to be decided. At the assessment my mate was at, someone asked the question about EI helping you get finance, and to peoples surprise, the HR women informed them that Aer Lingus would Write a letter for the bank/building society to show that if you meet the standards in training you WILL become a FO with them.

Nobody in my mates assessment brought up salary question so i cant say much on that. But they reckon 8 cadets will be starting Feb 2011 and then a couple weeks later two groups of 6 head over.

The salary question was brought up in my group but the EI staff didn't have and definite answers. Just that it would depend on the business environment at the time or something to that effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shamrock421

question about EI helping you get finance, and to peoples surprise, the HR women informed them that Aer Lingus would Write a letter for the bank/building society to show that if you meet the standards in training you WILL become a FO with them.

LOL
    So, what that really means folks is you have to find the cash yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

LOL
    So, what that really means folks is you have to find the cash yourself!

These were precisely the words used at my assessment, nothing mentioned about AL sending letters to any banks. 'We'll pay the FTO half and you pay the FTO half. Where you get the cash is up to you, through a loan, BBVA or whatever means you like.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

:
    Also among the 20 guys and gals in the assessment, none of them spoke highly of this thread or PPRuNE. So maybe thats why were not seeing people posting stuff.
    You'll find that a lot when pilots or potential pilots get together. PPRuNe always gets slagged off but they all read it. Maybe it's truer for Boards. But it's common sense to read up anything that may help you wheher you want to admit it or not.

Me? Never read or post on PPRuNe or that Boards, both full of Walts, fakes and moaners.:D

Out of interest, how many posters here have 50grand (ish) cash or else know that they can get it of some body if they get offered the cadetship?

Myself, No chance :(

I have saved 34,000Euro,
    I have a PPL + NR that I imagine the chosen FTO will probably value at around 6000Euro (as a wild stab in the dark, could be worth nothing.)
    So I will need approx 10,000euro loan to top that up to the 50K mark.

I don’t fancy my chances getting the 10K loan.... could be me out of the question too.

Ladies and Gents....experiance! Some people who do not advance to the next stage will learn a lesson.

To be honest the T&C issues are a little bit amusing at this stage.

Going forward the advice I would give is that you must avoid being naive and keep your head screwed on!

On the suggestion of a letter...well that may be the case...however Aer Lingus cant guarantee anything about your training...they may not need you on line for 6-8 months or you may wash out...who knows...so they can hardly confirm you will 100% be an FO. You cant be 100% sure you wont die in your sleep tonight...though that may just be an age thing!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

Remember it is possible, and I have heard this mentioned that not all cadets will be going to the same FTO!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

For those who have been to the assessment, Is it true that the earliest successful candiates will hear back from the "elusian government" ;) is the second week of november? It seems like quite a long wait considering the last assessment day is sometime this week... Well at least i think it is, has there being more dates put on or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigBirdie

For those who have been to the assessment, Is it true that the earliest successful candiates will hear back from the "elusian government" ;) is the second week of november? It seems like quite a long wait considering the last assessment day is sometime this week... Well at least i think it is, has there being more dates put on or something?

As far as I can remember they just said early november. Given that the assessments don't end til October 19th that seems reasonable.. :(

Tightwad wrote: »
    I have saved 34,000Euro,
    I have a PPL + NR that I imagine the chosen FTO will probably value at around 6000Euro (as a wild stab in the dark, could be worth nothing.)
    So I will need approx 10,000euro loan to top that up to the 50K mark.

I don’t fancy my chances getting the 10K loan.... could be me out of the question too.

Under JAR rules, you can get 20 hours deducted of an Integrated ATPL course if you already hold a licence but only if the CFI of the school thinks that you will be able complete the Integrated course 20 hours less than normal which you should be able roughly speaking so you would get a 20 hour discount.

Remember, while at the FTO, you are NOT an aer lingus employee. You are unemployed and just a student so the banks will take this into account.

If however you where an employed by aer lingus from day one as cadet pilot on there payroll then the banks might lend you the money on the strenght of that letter!

If however you where an employed by aer lingus from day one as cadet pilot on there payroll then the banks might lend you the money on the strenght of that letter!

I think I covered the "dont be naive thing earlier...":rolleyes:

If Aer Lingus want to take on 100k of dogey debt then that's their business...I highly doubt it will be that cut and dry though!

Besides there have been people with a lot better than a letter from Aer Lingus turned down for a lot less money...so it most likely will be pissing against the wind in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 babar350

Guys ,

I'll be arriving by 11am tomorrow and have a flight back the same day at 18:10. The gate are closing 35min before departure. So I'll have to be in the airport at least at 17:20.
    The assessment is between 13:00 and 17:00 . So my question : Have you been able to leave the radisson hotel at the right time or did it last more than excpected ?

Thank you :)

NB : Yes I know that's tight but couldn't have more day off than 1 ...

You cannot actually be legally employed as a pilot whether cadet or not until you get a CPL. So that's unlikely to happen. Nor does it suit any airline to make a trainee a permanent employee until they're qualified. It makes for difficulty in letting them go should they get washed out at any point in training. That's pretty standard in the business.

So you are effectively on your own when it comes to the loan albeit in a better condition than going solo without a job waiting at the end of it. Essentially both you and the provider of money are gambling that you will get the job at the end. No more than any business loan, I suppose. But realistically a guarantor will be needed and it's unlikely to be Aer Lingus.

xflyer wrote: »
    You cannot actually be legally employed as a pilot whether cadet or not until you get a CPL. So that's unlikely to happen. Nor does it suit any airline to make a trainee a permanent employee until they're qualified. It makes for difficulty in letting them go should they get washed out at any point in training. That's pretty standard in the business.

So you are effectively on your own when it comes to the loan albeit in a better condition than going solo without a job waiting at the end of it. Essentially both you and the provider of money are gambling that you will get the job at the end. No more than any business loan, I suppose. But realistically a guarantor will be needed and it's unlikely to be Aer Lingus.

Also remember that many of the schools like PTC and OAA guarantee employment afterwards too!(albeit it with Flybe or Air Southwest it seems...) A lot of guys quote that to banks and even have letters of acceptance and are told to go take a flying jump.

I was told something interesting last week by an air hostess. She told me her cousin's lad was trying to get a loan for Jerez and AIB, BOI and KBC all turned him down...but interestingly all 3 cited the fact amonst other things that if he was to default or wash out he would be outside the country at the time and would have no real reason drawing him back, and so it would be hard to get their claws into him....food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kapellmeister

I have been following this thread for some time and just cannot believe the amount of unfounded scaremongering going on, so I felt compelled to join. e.g.:
    I was told something interesting last week by an air hostess. She told me her cousin's lad was trying to get a loan for Jerez and AIB, BOI and KBC all turned him down...but interestingly all 3 cited the fact amonst other things that if he was to default or wash out he would be outside the country at the time and would have no real reason drawing him back, and so it would be hard to get their claws into him....food for thought.

KBC do not offer personal loans, only mortgages. So i do not understand the above comment. I also do not understand why everyone must be so negative to those who have been successful and clearly understand what they are getting into.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

babar350 wrote: »
    Guys ,

I'll be arriving by 11am tomorrow and have a flight back the same day at 18:10. The gate are closing 35min before departure. So I'll have to be in the airport at least at 17:20.
    The assessment is between 13:00 and 17:00 . So my question : Have you been able to leave the radisson hotel at the right time or did it last more than excpected ?

Thank you :)

NB : Yes I know that's tight but couldn't have more day off than 1 ...

The way it's structured means there is a bit of hanging around waiting for everyone to finish - the individual assessments are done one at a time by a captain and there were only three captains there when I did mine.

I'd ask the first person you meet who takes your name at the start if you could do your individual assessment first. Explain that you have a flight at 18.10. You will probably have to miss the Questions/Answers section at the end as that didn't finish until about 17.15hrs when I was there - and it will take 10-15 mins at least to walk to T2.

KBC do not offer personal loans, only mortgages. So i do not understand the above comment. I also do not understand why everyone must be so negative to those who have been successful and clearly understand what they are getting into.

K.

....and many people re-morgage as a way of getting the cash....my brother is in the process of doing that for his son. It's quite common actually! If you dont know that I would question your fitness to comment on these matters.

And let me assure you...they have no idea what they're getting into!;)

Stating they all clearly understand what they are getting into shows grave ignorance of the industry and it's mechanics and is the type of attitude that companies trying to exploit wannabes thrive on.

• Advertisement

I would back that up, anyone who loves their kid would want to do that. Remortgage. It looks like a no lose situation......................to the unitiatiated.

I would do it for my sons. Even though I know the reality. I would be prepared to take the risk. My two are very young though, here's hoping they want be to Doctors or Lawyers or Engineers. Anything but pilots.

It's a parent thing.

Advertisement