Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

Aero Kid wrote: »
    I got my email at 2010 last night.

Something confused me about the financial side of things. At the group stage, during the Q & A session, it was asked if AL would provide some sort of letter that we can provide to the bank when seeking the required funds. They said they would, but only to the 20 selected cadets. That's understandable. Now, the fact that they are providing that letter tells me that they are well aware that we will need that document to have any good chance of securing the funds but like I said, this will only be provided to the 20 cadets so how do they expect us to get a 'yes' from the banks at this stage when we don't have such a document?
    I'd imagine you could show the email to the bank employee overseeing lending. Explain the situation and if they were agreeable you could ask that they provide a letter saying that 'subject to a letter of acceptance from Aer Lingus' they will give you the money. This letter from the bank could be shown to Aer Lingus on the day then. But, I heard on the radio home buyers having issues with the banks. Basically, they would ask for initial approval for money. They would get that approval, go home hunting and place a bid. Then go back for final approval and be rejected at the last hurdle. So, if I were you I'd be blunt with the bank employee and clarify everything so that if next week you got letter and wanted the money they'd definitely give it to you... Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

As it stands we definitely need more information from Aer Lingus before we can properly approach financial organisations. A bank is not going to look at you unless you can give some cast iron information in regards what you have, how much you need, when you need to draw it down, when you will be in a position to pay it back and how long will it take to clear. In my own case I don't know if I can progress any further than this stage now unfortunately, my aim was to get as far as possible in the process on merit alone before having to worry about the financial requirements.
    Negative equity, lack of savings and my wife expecting means I may have to withdraw my application but I'm certainly waiting until we get the next email from Aer Lingus with the information for what we need to have going in the door to the interview. Delighted to have made it this far given I only heard about the cadetship second hand through friends and thought that it would be an interesting challenge to go for even though I have no private flying experience to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Make that eight boardsies.

Diego I'm feeling your pain...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

guerito wrote: »
    Make that eight boardsies.

Diego I'm feeling your pain...

Thanks, it's a bit annoying alright but what can you do. Entering this process my hope was that the training would be either in Weston or Oxford. Weston is near to where I live and Oxford for outside Ireland in fairness is close enough and possibly cheap enough to fly from Heathrow or Birmingham to get home every few weeks. Jerez has no direct flights to Ireland. Nearest airport with direct flights is Malaga which is 2.5 hours drive away.

Yeah, I read that in the email. I also need a 'Police Letter' as I live outside of Ireland. Need to see how I go about that. Will get the colour blindness test booked soon.

I'll need that too as I used to live abroad. I'm not very optimistic about getting it in time for the interview though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Aero Kid

What exactly is a police letter? Is it some kind of criminal record check or something? I have never heard of that term before. Tried searching it online but didn't find anything. I emailed AL but won't expect a reply until at least tomorrow. It would be good to find asap so I can try and get it sorted for my interview date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ECHO INDIA

I'm guessing that the further communication from AL post the Nov 2nd deadline may shed better light on those items needed: finance, police letter, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

Hi all. Been back at the grindstone of late so have no been here as much.

Just a quick peice of intel. 30 FOs have been let go(some just a few months off TR) due to bad performance on line. Word seems to be that the incoming cadets will fill this gap(although one would assume that leaves us short of crew for the next 18 months). Apparantly there have been near spinal and several other impact/jolting injuries to cabin crew and passengers alike. Some people have even complained to the company.

Training and Standards are doing the nut and rehashing their recurring "stop giving us these rubbish twonks" lecture to HR.
    A general heads up to those who are still in the mix....in your training get your flying skills up to a good standard on approach, flare and touchdown...these I would assume will be focused on given the recent incidents. There is now going to be a zero tolerance of consistant heavy landings and word is anyone who has this problem will be seeing the door!

So just a word to the wise to help you keep the company happy!;)

XWB wrote: »
    Hi all. Been back at the grindstone of late so have no been here as much.

Just a quick peice of intel. 30 FOs have been let go(some just a few months off TR) due to bad performance on line. Word seems to be that the incoming cadets will fill this gap(although one would assume that leaves us short of crew for the next 18 months). Apparantly there have been near spinal and several other impact/jolting injuries to cabin crew and passengers alike. Some people have even complained to the company.

Training and Standards are doing the nut and rehashing their recurring "stop giving us these rubbish twonks" lecture to HR.
    A general heads up to those who are still in the mix....in your training get your flying skills up to a good standard on approach, flare and touchdown...these I would assume will be focused on given the recent incidents. There is now going to be a zero tolerance of consistant heavy landings and word is anyone who has this problem will be seeing the door!

So just a word to the wise to help you keep the company happy!;)

XWB, do you work for AL?

ECHO INDIA wrote: »
    XWB, do you work for AL?

Since 1974. Altho I did retire in 2010...but I'm back now doing 2 atlantic hops a week...plugging the gaps in the roster for them!:D

• Advertisement

Since 1974. Altho I did retire in 2010...but I'm back now doing 2 atlantic hops a week...plugging the gaps in the roster for them!:D
    Im sure you probably mentioned this before - it's easier to ask you rather than search threads to find the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

A police letter is simply proof that weren't in trouble at any point or perhaps to prove you're not wanted for something or other. It neccessary these what with security and all that.
    Just a quick piece of intel. 30 FOs have been let go(some just a few months off TR) due to bad performance on line.
    That's a good heads up. You have to continually meet the standards. You're never really safe in the job. I wonder what the financial implications would be for a cadet that failed during the TR or beyond?

xflyer wrote: »
    A police letter is simply proof that weren't in trouble at any point or perhaps to prove you're not wanted for something or other. It neccessary these what with security and all that.

And it's only serious crimes that you were convicted of....they can let little things slide...like having your name taken as a nipper for those few cheeky cans down the local waste ground! ;)
    xflyer wrote: »
    That's a good heads up. You have to continually meet the standards. You're never really safe in the job. I wonder what the financial implications would be for a cadet that failed during the TR or beyond?

As far as I know these people were warned and retrained a few times but it kept up and it was a health and safety risk.

As for the last bit...I'd imagine if they bumped you during TR you wouldnt lose much...you'd have a fATPL, so you would just lose TR costs up to the point you were bumped. It would be good enough value for money. However given the choice I'd rather be bumped as a DE than a Cadet! As it looks a little better on your record...although still not great!
    Getting the chop while on line may mean you'll find it hard to get airline work again...as they will ask Aer Lingus for a reference and Aer Lingus will be legally obliged to tell them why you were sacked. In that case you would have to show you did some remedial work on the issue at an FTO perhaps....but...to be honest....it would be hard. Its for this reason, airlines rarely bump off pilots in that way! So I was taken by surprise to hear about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Aero Kid

I'm sure it was mentioned to us the our TR training phase would be paid for by the company. I'm sure that was mentioned by one of the Training Captains at the Q&A session.

I'm sure it was mentioned to us the our TR training phase would be paid for by the company. I'm sure that was mentioned by one of the Training Captains at the Q&A session.

it always is...and then you're bonded for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigBirdie

I think you're right in that it was mentioned, but I'm not so sure they guaranteed payment of it.. I have notes lying around somewhere and I think I took down that they said they were planning to pay it. Loose words... I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭aireng

In our Q&A session the captain speaking said AL would cover the costs of TR and we wouldn't be bonded as he believed bonds don't work. Also he said that during the training additional financial help would be available but he didn't go into details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

well your not pluggin the gaps ex DUB as there are no contract a330 Capts or F/O's there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Bearcat wrote: »
    well your not pluggin the gaps ex DUB as there are no contract a330 Capts or F/O's there. ;)

So. If you are losing sleep trying to figure out this persons identity, either get some sleeping pills from the doc or PM them and ask for their Facebook page. You can then become 'friends'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Don't worry, we figured it all out...I enjoy all this "intel" I miss when I am in work....

• Advertisement

Bearcat wrote: »

Well I'm not working contract.;)

I've noticed you only seem to comment on my posts now.

I'd hate to think you wait around for me!

As for MoeJay...if you werent round pre-1990 you wont get the same level of off the record comments the older guys command.

It seems I spent most of my time now fielding attacks from the short trouser brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

its all a puzzle to me tbh, nor am i deprived of sleep over it. Anyway we move on, I could'nt care, just found it interesting.. I've disputed some of your posts for good reason and I have complemented you on others.

All I genuinely care is for those applying that they get the very best shot at it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 high ho

so what are you guys expecting from the interview at the next round?

An absolute grilling

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigBirdie

high ho wrote: »
    so what are you guys expecting from the interview at the next round?

A jolly fat man dressed in red, who will give me a left hand seat for Christmas?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

BigBirdie wrote: »
    A jolly fat man dressed in red, who will give me a left hand seat for Christmas?! :rolleyes:

Yer, in the sleigh. Keep an eye out for the Lapland Direct Entry Captain campaign, lots of guys leaving for Etihad at the moment I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 antonov225

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Another through to next stage. Whats everyones views on the sketchyness of the finances,flight school costs,final salary etc when presenting this to banks. Banks deal in hard facts and how are we to show financial evidence at interview when we have not been told anything solid?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

Another through to next stage. Whats everyones views on the sketchyness of the finances,flight school costs,final salary etc when presenting this to banks. Banks deal in hard facts and how are we to show financial evidence at interview when we have not been told anything solid?:confused:

inkogneetoe did you recieve an e-mailed of your success on friday like everyone else?

TW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Tightwad wrote: »

inkogneetoe did you recieve an e-mailed of your success on friday like everyone else?

TW
    Yes on Friday,sorry if I got anyones hopes up :-(

Advertisement