Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Just got this email from Aer Lingus

Hello,

Thank you for booking your place at one of the Aer Lingus Cadet interviews.

You should find three attachments with this email:

The first attachment is a road map to the Aer Lingus Head Office Building at Dublin Airport. This is where your interview will be held so please keep a copy of the map.

The second attachment is a reference details form. This must be filled out and you must bring it with you to your interview.

The third attachment is a 5 year employment record form complete with guidelines. This must also be filled out and you must bring it with you to your interview.

Best of luck with your interview.

Kind Regards

Aer Lingus Recruitment Support Team

Unfortunately no information at all in regards the financial commitment so I've mailed them myself to see if they can give us any information. I'd suggest other candidates here do the same so they understand we really need this information before we can approach banks or even family members for assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

I wouldn't stress too much over the finances. Just go to the bank and let them know the situation - stating that should you be successful that Aer Lingus will provide the necessary letters to back up the loan. At this stage you only need approval so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

I'd agree with silverfield. I'm going to speak to a bank today about the approval, if they need me to provide any evidence or proofs they'll tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

I am going to email them too to see if there's anything else to bring to the bank. A 50k loan is a lot to pay off especially since you might only be earning 30k a year to start with, and have a bond to pay back also!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

There used to be a programme on RTE before about starting your own business. It was hosted by Harry Crosbie (Point Depot) and Niall Quinn. Crosbie used to stress that it was important that you go to your bank manager and introduce yourself and explain that you will be asking for a loan in the near future and what information he would require to enable him to make a decision.
    Hope this is of use.

• Advertisement

I get what you're saying guys but I think Aer Lingus are being a little bit too cagey with the details at this stage of the process. Surely they can give us some more specifics so that people can work out if they can realistically continue with this process as depending on what your financial circumstances are and will be for the next few years it could be unsustainable for many with mortgages and families.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Aero Kid

I emailed them on Saturday asking about the finances and what sort of documentation they would be looking for, not expecting an email until Monday at the earliest but no reply so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Aero Kid wrote: »
    I emailed them on Saturday asking about the finances and what sort of documentation they would be looking for, not expecting an email until Monday at the earliest but no reply so far....

I'm just wondering if EI are beginning to realise that finances are going to be a problem for people, and basicly are waiting themselves to find out at the interview stage how people are fareing out financially.
    It was stated on the rte news@1 that 50% business are still having problems acessing credit from the banks, surely EI must be aware of this, that's why they are being so coy about giving answer's to your questions.

My theory is we know it's 25 places they have available but maybe they won't fill them all if people don't get to the required standard so then what funding they have already guaranteed they can spread that across the say 20 or cadets they take on and reduce the upfront costs for the candidate which is fair enough I think.
    But for now they should be able to say based on 25 candidates exactly how much you need to have behind you going into training and where exactly the training is going to be located. For people with families and mortgages this is crucial information.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gat Dayum!

Have everyone who hasn't gotten to the next round received PFO emails yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gat Dayum! wrote: »
    Have everyone who hasn't gotten to the next round received PFO emails yet?

I think a more appropriate question would be has anyone at all here received an email that doesn't invite them to the next round?

I've had nothing whatsoever and am kinda resigned to the fact I'm not through. That said however, I was offered the apprenticeship after a withdrawal (starting to regret turning that down now) so there's always hope I suppose. When I get an email, I get an email. HR departments are funny things :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gat Dayum!

Pretty sure that's cos the only people bothered posting here anymore would be people who are through to the next round no? Is that a no PFO mails received yet by everyone who hasn't gotten an invitation to the next round then?

Can I ask why did you turn down the apprenticeship before knowing how far you would get with the cadetship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ECHO INDIA

diego_b wrote: »
    My theory is we know it's 25 places they have available but maybe they won't fill them all if people don't get to the required standard so then what funding they have already guaranteed they can spread that across the say 20 or cadets they take on and reduce the upfront costs for the candidate which is fair enough I think.
    But for now they should be able to say based on 25 candidates exactly how much you need to have behind you going into training and where exactly the training is going to be located. For people with families and mortgages this is crucial information.
    25??...
    We were told 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

NO PFO yet

ECHO INDIA wrote: »
    25??...
    We were told 20.

Sorry 20 I meant but my theory still applies that I don't think there's any guarantee they'll allocate all the places so possibly the funding then will be divided amongst the number of candidates they go with so the costs for the candidates would then be reduced.
    This is just my theory and I have no evidence to back it up of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 high ho

ECHO INDIA wrote: »
    25??...
    We were told 20.

20, 25, 5, who cares, it doesn't really matter. fact of the matter is you are not competing against each other, you are against yourself, to be the best you can be and if your good enough you get the right hand seat and if your not, your not....
    the number of seats available is an unknown variable.
    get ready to be ripped to pieces at this round. its not how you start, its how you recover and how you finish.
    good luck to all, put your name on a rhs. :pac: ********:eek:********

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I reckon Aer Lingus will pay the training on your behalf at intervals through the training, you only having to pay back once finished and VIA a bond or other contract.

el tel wrote: »
    I reckon Aer Lingus will pay the training on your behalf at intervals through the training, you only having to pay back once finished and VIA a bond or other contract.

That's what I'd be hoping but it would be nice to know and I don't understand why we don't at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gat Dayum! wrote: »
    Can I ask why did you turn down the apprenticeship before knowing how far you would get with the cadetship?

It had been more than a month since the interview, and I had been thinking long and hard about my future.

On mature reflection it wasn't really what I wanted to spend the next 20 years doing. I would have loved it, but the pay over the first 4 years was much less than I had imagined (something we only found out at the group assessment) and I would have been tied into a 4-year commitment without being 101% sure it was where I wanted to be. On that basis I thought it fairer to let someone else in - I had a shot at the pilot cadetship, I'm in the middle of a degree and I have a job. Most applying for these things aren't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sly2000

Only found out here that emails have been sent out to candidates, would really like EI hr sent out emails confirming there positions on everyone and not having to find out here!!!

• Advertisement

Has anyone here emailed AL with regards to the financial approval and had a reply? I'm still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 antonov225

I'm right with you Aero Kid, also waiting on a response.

For the record I have approached several banks, with surprisingly positive results. I've been told by a few that they would certainly be interested and there's a very good chance of approval. What each one has said though, is that there is absolutely no point in proceeding with a loan application without further details from Aer Lingus. They can not even provide a letter stating that approval will be given on condition of an offer, since such a letter requires an application, which itself requires a letter from Aer Lingus.

Round and round we go.

Here's hoping HR are reading this thread and see our (well, at least my) predicament.

antonov225 wrote: »

For the record I have approached several banks, with surprisingly positive results. I've been told by a few that they would certainly be interested and there's a very good chance of approval. What each one has said though, is that there is absolutely no point in proceeding with a loan application without further details from Aer Lingus. They can not even provide a letter stating that approval will be given on condition of an offer, since such a letter requires an application, which itself requires a letter from Aer Lingus.

Round and round we go.

Here's hoping HR are reading this thread and see our (well, at least my) predicament.

Just as I posted that comment I checked my email and a reply was sitting in my spam folder.

With reference to providing details of financial approval, we require a letter from your bank or financial institution to state that financial approval can be obtained for this programme.

Regarding the Police Letter, this can be obtained from www.disclosurescotland.co.uk. You will need to obtain a basic disclosure form. Please click on the individual option and follow the no answers option to obtain this form.

I asked about the Police due to living outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Round and round we go.

Are you providing security for the loan?

You see the banks have said that I cannot apply without more information such as starting salary, when I'd be in a position to begin repayments etc. as well as how the loan would have to be drawn, whether in a high risk manner (50k up front) or a lower risk manner (for example pay-as-you-go training, or 25k immediately and another 25k after 6 months) in which case they could assess your performance and get further affirmation from AL that you're doing ok.

details, details... without them the bank cannot process an application, and it is only during the application that they will be able to tell me what kind of security is required. They did say however that because AL is a large and well known company, that with the right details and letter of support from AL then they may not even require security at all!

However it's looking like without info to bring to the bank then I'm out. Such a shame because if I had been successful in the interview and offered a place then the bank would most likely be happy to help.

You see the banks have said that I cannot apply without more information such as starting salary, when I'd be in a position to begin repayments etc. as well as how the loan would have to be drawn, whether in a high risk manner (50k up front) or a lower risk manner (for example pay-as-you-go training, or 25k immediately and another 25k after 6 months) in which case they could assess your performance and get further affirmation from AL that you're doing ok.

details, details... without them the bank cannot process an application, and it is only during the application that they will be able to tell me what kind of security is required. They did say however that because AL is a large and well known company, that with the right details and letter of support from AL then they may not even require security at all!

However it's looking like without info to bring to the bank then I'm out. Such a shame because if I had been successful in the interview and offered a place then the bank would most likely be happy to help.

It's a bit of a crazy situation really! I have not got a mail back from Aer Lingus yet which really disappoints me.

May I ask if the banks asked much about your personal circumstances? In my case myself and my wife have a mortgage together and about 100K worth of negative equity with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

It is frustrating going to the bank asking for that money and then saying you don't know when asked about start date,salary,exact cost/school etc.

Well that's it. The banks have basically said that yes they are interested and may well be able to approve a loan. The gist of what they've said can be summed up as: 'That sounds great, just come back to us when you know more and we can talk'.

They asked all the usual questions such as what I'm earning now, what I have regards savings/assets/debts/commitments etc. General financial circumstances stuff.

So it seems the bank require a letter from Aer Lingus and Aer Lingus require a letter from the bank. Such is the situation.

EDIT: Diego have you checked your spambox, where Aero Kid found his reply?

So it seems the bank require a letter from Aer Lingus and Aer Lingus require a letter from the bank. Such is the situation.

This reminds me of Joesph Heller's Catch-22!

• Advertisement

Yes I've checked my spam folder just in case and nothing there.

Advertisement