Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

A320 wrote: »
    I thought maybe contacts were frowned upon as if you lose one on the deck floor you could lose it and contamination etc,glasses much easier to find!!!!

I know if you wear glasses, you need a second pair with you in case they break. With contacts I'm not too sure but I'd say having a back-up pair of glasses with you as well would be advised.
    Putting in contacts in turbulence and on final approach would be quite awkward to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EI-A330

colour blindness is what causes alot of trouble for people i am a slight bit colour blind but i did the lantern test and passed it which means you are fit to fly,as for contacts i wear contacts and had my class one not so long ago and it was not and issue once you carry a pair of glasses incase anything happens your lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 directPEPOD

I'm sure for lots of people this feels like Christmas Eve - tomorrow morning there'll be a shiny new cadetship under the tree! :P

pepod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Details are up now: http://www.aerlingus.com/pilot/

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Jim236 wrote: »

Drats you beat me to it. I'm knees deep in the application so far. Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fadgest

The details still appear quite vague. No definites regarding how much it will cost the cadet, how long the bond will be, where the training will take place etc...Nevertheless it seems to be a great opportunity. Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Well there's one less person who will be competing with you guys. I miss out by 6 days. I was 18 on the 7th of January this year. I needed to be 18 on/before the 1st of January. Oh well. Good luck to the rest of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JPkelly

I noticed that the closing application is on the 14th of August, does anyone know if EI did this with LC results in mind? In an attempt to lessen the applicants. (They come out on the 17th)

It says you need a LC, but as I've said, I don't get my results until 2 days after the application closes! :/

I should easily get the results they listed

What can I do?

Can I say results pending and quote my Mocks results? (which fit the bill)

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

I can't remember my results and can't find my leaving cert anyone know where to go to get a copy of my leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

one4one wrote: »
    I can't remember my results and can't find my leaving cert anyone know where to go to get a copy of my leaving cert?

Only place I can think of is Dept of Education or your old school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

It says you need a LC, but as I've said, I don't get my results until 2 days after the application closes! :/
    Apply anyway, they allow for that on the form. If you are confident you will achieve the results say yes to meeting the requirements because by the time anyone processes the application it will be true.

Least of your worries.
    Can I say results pending and quote my Mocks results? (which fit the bill)
    No they're irrelevant as if they never happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

I though anyway you had to be 21 to hold an ATPL???

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Like every other trainee pilot I presume the idea is to be issued with a frozen ATPL - you also need 1500 hours for an ATPL so it will be a couple of years at least before you can unfreeze it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

That's for the actual ATPL (1500 hours). The one you'd have after the cadetship is 'frozen' or restricted for which you can be younger, AFAIK...

You don't need an ATPL to fly copilot on larger aircraft. So it will be what is inaccurately described as a 'frozen' ATPL but in fact a CPL with the ATPL writtens done. That's standard now, virtually no one does the CPL exams. When you have the 1500 hours and meet the other requirements then the ATPL follows.

Besides, I don't know of many 21 year old Captains. You certainly won't find any in Aer Lingus.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Ah i see,sound lads :D not that im under 21!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

there's no option for technical drawing in the leavin cert subject boxes..i'll just stick in the other six subjects I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GKJK

Well I meet all the requirements I'm 20 and have a LC and am above all the LC requirements. However they asked for referees. "who were not related" to me. I put down an associate of my family who knows me and has his own business, and then as I have a PPL i put down my flight school(namely my instructor). Is that acceptable? Are they just checking to make sure you are who and what you say you are and are not lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 directPEPOD

Here's me thinking you were already a pilot GKJK..

Here's me thinking you were already a pilot GKJK..

Well I believe having a pilot's Licence qualifies one to be a pilot....:D

If you refer to my above speculations they have infact in the most come through. The fact EI have drawn the line before the LC results role out and restricted applications to those who were 18 before Jan 2011 suggests as I said above they are not keen on a deluge of schoolsboys. It looks as if they are pitching for an older gentleman in his 20s. Now by no means am I suggesting that is 100% the case. It just seems that's how it is. It seems they want cadet grads to be close to 21 when they finish the course. The application form states both at the start and suggests in the nature of the questions and info asked for that EI are looking for applicants who have some "life experiance" and something ontop of the LC. Closing applications before the LC results and "regular" CAO rush is surprising however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dystophia

Educational criteria:

You must hold a Leaving Certificate or equivalent

You must have completed a minimum of 6 subjects;
    English and Mathematics minimum grade C in ordinary level
    Plus
    2 Higher level subjects, minimum grade C

What does minimum grade C mean? In my country's educational system there is no such grade system. I suppose just my secondary education degree won't be enough?

Dystophia wrote: »

Educational criteria:
    You must hold a Leaving Certificate or equivalent

You must have completed a minimum of 6 subjects;
    English and Mathematics minimum grade C in ordinary level
    Plus
    2 Higher level subjects, minimum grade C
    What does minimum grade C mean? In my country's educational system there is no such grade system. I suppose just my secondary education degree won't be enough?

A C grade in Ireland is from 55% upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dystophia

Cheers, I've read so on Wikipedia but wasn't one hundred percent sure.

Wikipedia Quote: The Leaving Certificate Examinations, commonly referred to as the Leaving Cert is the final examination in the Irish secondary school system.

If I don't misinterpret anything, I have to prove having over 55% on my final exam for either Maths and English, i.e. the grades on my last report card? We get 5 report cards a year. 3 on 'daily work' and 2 on exams. The most recent one being my final exams, on which I score B3 for both subjects.

Cheers, I've read so on Wikipedia but wasn't one hundred percent sure.

Wikipedia Quote: The Leaving Certificate Examinations, commonly referred to as the Leaving Cert is the final examination in the Irish secondary school system.

If I don't misinterpret anything, I have to prove having over 55% on my final exam for either Maths and English, i.e. the grades on my last report card? We get 5 report cards a year. 3 on 'daily work' and 2 on exams. The most recent one being my final exams, on which I score B3 for both subjects.

Well I suppose the exact details would have to be explained and discussed with the airline but I would say you're grand with that. Tbh they just want to see that you have a decent academic standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

I'd appreciate some honest opinions from those in 'the know' about my prospects if applying for the cadetship scheme.

I am mid 30's, in full time employment as a frontline public servant, for the past 9 years, married with children. In 2009 I graduated from NUI with a first class honours degree in the life sciences.

I have minimal flying experience, less than 10 hours, ad last flew under instruction approx. 10 years ago. Family/work/life circumstances since then meant it has just not been possible.

Yes, I am one of the many who have always wished for a career such as this, and now I am in a position to take it on, financially and otherwise.

If it doesn't happen I will resume PPL training as it is what I want to do.

So, opinions appreciated. Age is my main question here, has there been recruitment of people in my age group to cadetships in the past, in any airline? or is it unheard of?

Thanks in advance,
    Scienceless.

(Generally speaking, any advice about pursuing a career as a pilot for someone in my situation would be welcome).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Right lads, time go get those piggy banks in good order, oh and stay off the wacky baccy in case you are called for a medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

I'd appreciate some honest opinions from those in 'the know' about my prospects if applying for the cadetship scheme.

I am mid 30's, in full time employment as a frontline public servant, for the past 9 years, married with children. In 2009 I graduated from NUI with a first class honours degree in the life sciences.

I have minimal flying experience, less than 10 hours, ad last flew under instruction approx. 10 years ago. Family/work/life circumstances since then meant it has just not been possible.

Yes, I am one of the many who have always wished for a career such as this, and now I am in a position to take it on, financially and otherwise.

If it doesn't happen I will resume PPL training as it is what I want to do.

So, opinions appreciated. Age is my main question here, has there been recruitment of people in my age group to cadetships in the past, in any airline? or is it unheard of?

Thanks in advance,
    Scienceless.

(Generally speaking, any advice about pursuing a career as a pilot for someone in my situation would be welcome).

Just my tuppence worth but as regards the cadetship I'd say you're on the wrong side of the age curve.
    More to the point, how do feel about not seeing your family for nearly a year and a half?
    You will have time for nothing except study and flying throughout the course.
    I doubt the course will be based in Ireland ,
    I reckon it'll be Spain, Uk or states.

Good luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

bladeruner wrote: »
    Just my tuppence worth but as regards the cadetship I'd say you're on the wrong side of the age curve.
    More to the point, how do feel about not seeing your family for nearly a year and a half?
    You will have time for nothing except study and flying throughout the course.
    I doubt the course will be based in Ireland ,
    I reckon it'll be Spain, Uk or states.

Good luck though.

That's what I'm thinking. And yes it would be a big impact on family life. But, no pain no gain too. Either way I'm sure I will be facing an uphill struggle in the selection process. We'll see....

Anyone else having difficulties finding non-related "referees"?

I'm also wondering what sort of contact they'll make

I had to have a long think too!

It will most likely be along the lines of "Do you know Dystophia? What is he like as a person etc." and they may check a few details with them in relation to your qualifications etc just to make sure that you are being truthful. It's just to be sure you are who you say you are

• Advertisement

Referees? I remember having the same problem. When you're quite young not long out of school the only people you deal with are the same age as you and you wouldn't any of those jokers near a potential employer.

In the past it was often a school teacher or the local priest who provided the reference. I think the priest option is gone but a teacher is still a strong candidate assuming you weren't a little brat in school.

But my suggestion is to explore the possibility of a family friend of your parents being put forward. My Father was friends with a former army Commandant who of course knew me. Sadly he was never required to provide the reference. Do a bit of lateral thinking you would be surprised who you can unearth.

Incidentally, I'm available and open to bribery;) The last person I gave a reference to got into Ryanair. Hmmm, maybe not something you want to mention!:P

Scienceless, you might as well apply and indeed you may very well get through some stages. Aer Lingus cannot discriminate on age. But I really think you chances are about the same as getting onto the Space Shuttle program. If you had a PPL the chances might have been better.

Advertisement