Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigBirdie

Yep second day of interviews today and everyone is keeping nicely quiet :)

The silence is deafening.. I really just want to know how many are in each slot!

So I'm sure some of you may have stumbled upon this before, but I just found this awesome website..
    http://life-as-a-pilot.blogspot.com/
    Really good insight into our prospective future!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ECHO INDIA

BigBirdie wrote: »
    So I'm sure some of you may have stumbled upon this before, but I just found this awesome website..
    Future 'training', perhaps... Future 'career'? Now there's much more to THAT story...
    Was FIT/PTC mentioned as a possible training location?...

nice to see a mix of glass cockpit and steam gauge training...

ECHO INDIA wrote: »
    Future 'training', perhaps... Future 'career'? Now there's much more to THAT story...
    Was FIT/PTC mentioned as a possible training location?...

nice to see a mix of glass cockpit and steam gauge training...

Sorry, should have specified future 'training' :rolleyes:

Nope, don't think it was. Just Jerez and Michigan?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

BigBirdie wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I hadn't come across it before. It's a great read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Aer Lingus recruiters are well aware of any posts and discussions about the process on this website and others. From the info you have posted, it won't be difficult for them to know which of the candidates you are.
    Prepare to be questioned about your commitment at the last stage.

That's not a problem, I would expect questions about that irregardless of any information that may or may not have been pulled from here!
    Anyways as we know the interviews are in progress now so similar to the last stage I won't be discussing my own experiences until they have all been completed, final interviews are scheduled for Tuesday 29th of November.

Personally, I don't recall any names of training companies mentioned by AL folks, so all I know of is what has been speculated here.
    I know Jerez is a likely forerunner in EU. Michigan was where prior AL cadetships were run, but is there a training co there anymore?... Thinking Florida would be the US option and only 3 companies there are JAA/EASA approved.

diego_b wrote: »
    That's not a problem, I would expect questions about that irregardless of any information that may or may not have been pulled from here!
    Anyways as we know the interviews are in progress now so similar to the last stage I won't be discussing my own experiences until they have all been completed, final interviews are scheduled for Tuesday 29th of November.
    Eh, I don't recall seeing options for 29th November. Last date I saw was 23rd.

I can't remember the options myself but I was going on the dates within the invitation to interview mail.
    Which are the three companies in Florida that you referred to above?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

The last date of the interviews is the 23rd Nov. Regarding the training location they said the other possible was Phoenix, Arizona where OAA train their pilots. OAA actually own their own airstrip there and it's called Goodyear - imagine, it's cheaper to buy an airstrip in the US than it is to train people in the UK and Ire! I'm sure AL will be using this at a greatly reduced rate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

Thanks for the nice words above guys, I took all that on board and so had a talk with the missus this evening and I'm going to go ahead and do the interview anyways. I'm off work that day anyways so I had freedom that way at least.

If I'm lucky enough to get through the interviews I can then consider my options again. I'd rather be told no by Aer Lingus that I'm not suitable than cop out at this point.
    Having the financial restriction eased by the amount needed lowered and not having to have approval at this stage has played a key part

Get a 6 or 12 month moratorium on your mortgage payments.
    Rent out the house if possible and Get the wife to move back in with the parents ( yours or hers )

The baby coming is a tougher question.
    It'd be easier to do visits at the weekend if you'd be traing in Oxford.

The last date of the interviews is the 23rd Nov. Regarding the training location they said the other possible was Phoenix, Arizona where OAA train their pilots. OAA actually own their own airstrip there and it's called Goodyear - imagine, it's cheaper to buy an airstrip in the US than it is to train people in the UK and Ire! I'm sure AL will be using this at a greatly reduced rate?
    Airstrips are much more commonplace in the US than in Ire and in AZ flying is a more routine mode of transport where greater distances need to be covered just to get to the nearest town, in some cases! Add to the equation the stable, favorable, year-round climate for flying, the vast, open, flat and sparcely populated landscape and super cheap real estate... Yip! - easy to see how buying an airstrip in AZ is more cost-effective alright!
    Not sure why AL would get a reduced rate?...

I can't remember the options myself but I was going on the dates within the invitation to interview mail.
    Which are the three companies in Florida that you referred to above?
    Actually, there's more to that... there are only 3 that are approved/certified by the CAA which, the FTO's will tell you, are regarded as amongst the more stringent of the JAA countries. Further to this, I believe, is the loophole regarding whether the training abroad is carried out by instructors from a JAA state (like England), how much of the training is carried out abroad (e.g. All IR's need to be completed in a JAA state) and also where are the licenses actually issued from.... Issuing a JAA CPL, for example, requires different certification of that foreign FTO by a JAA state body, like the CAA, versus if 'some' of training was completed abroad by an FTO operating in and certified by a JAA member state, like OAA, and the licenses were issued within the JAA state... Clear as mud?
    Some changes do come in to play, also... with the advent of EASA, from April, all FCL's will be issued by EASA directly and not by the member states. The change means you won't be able to tell, from looking at your license, where you were trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 foxtrot hotel

ECHO INDIA, there are far more than just 3 JAA/CAA/EASA schools in America. Plus lots of other EU/EASA approved schools. In florida, I know of 10 UK CAA approved schools alone and 1 IAA in the state of Florida.
    Google is your freind.

My money is with Jerez for the aerlingus cadets !

I wonder how many females have made it this far? I would bet 1 place is reserved for a girl ;) so count yourself lucky who ever you are reading this!

FH, google will certainly tell you who is out there looking for for your cash! Just be clear about who is qualified to Train, test for and then issue licenses... And WHAT licenses! For future reference, anyone who considers the US should be certain of who will issue your licenses all the way through to fATPL and FCL.

Looking at the other major EU airlines and what they are doing, it seems Jerez and OAA are the likely candidates. Being familiar with the OAA approach to things, I'm more inclined to believe Jerez is the one. Who knows! .... Maybe some of the 10+ folks who have been to interview these passed few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 three_leaf

Hi all, was wondering if anyone else was in a similar boat...had my group exercise at the Raddison's a while ago but yet to hear back from HR. Fingers crossed no news is good news and we'll at least get a chance to interview for a dream opportunity.

bladeruner wrote: »
    Get a 6 or 12 month moratorium on your mortgage payments.
    Rent out the house if possible and Get the wife to move back in with the parents ( yours or hers )

The baby coming is a tougher question.
    It'd be easier to do visits at the weekend if you'd be traing in Oxford.

Thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

three_leaf wrote: »
    Hi all, was wondering if anyone else was in a similar boat...had my group exercise at the Raddison's a while ago but yet to hear back from HR. Fingers crossed no news is good news and we'll at least get a chance to interview for a dream opportunity.

From reading the other messages on this thread, and going by what we were told at the Radisson, it seems Aer Lingus called people last week for a series of interviews and assessments which were held this week. Unfortunately, it looks like those of us who haven't heard anything yet didn't get through.

I thought I did pretty well at the Radisson, and was quite hopeful of getting further, but, alas, it was not to be! Sincere best wishes to those who do get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

ECHO INDIA

......Being familiar with the OAA approach to things, I'm more inclined to believe Jerez is the one. Who knows! ....

Looking at the newly updated FTE website I noticed that they now have Aer Lingus down as a partner airline.

Looks like you guys may be heading to Jerez!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Railjon

To be fair, FTE have always been partners with Aer Lingus and they were listed on the previous site as partners. Lots of Jerez graduates go to them so it's not a recent thing.

• Advertisement

True.
    I didn't see a reference to AL on the previous version of their site, but it is interesting how the write-up for AL is blank on the new site, versus that of the other airlines referenced... was it this way on the pervious version?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Can I ask, how were people contacted by Aer Lingus last week? Email, phone, or post?

zulutango wrote: »
    Can I ask, how were people contacted by Aer Lingus last week? Email, phone, or post?

All email far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dubberdo

I wonder could Atlantic in Cork be a contender?

It has a new fully integrated course. It also has the addition of two new instructors & Irish aviation heavy hitters being Jerry Humphries (known for his Cow RV) and Cap. Angelo Cunningham (instructor from Abbeyshrule and ex-A330).

AL said the Europe and The USA were the locations being considered.
    Unless 'Europe' means including Atlantic...
    Look into the FTO's mentioned in this thread a little more and make your own guesses. Me - I don't believe for a second that this portion of training will be done in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

Im not saying how i know, but i know for a fact it's Jerez and i would put my house on it.

happy_head wrote: »
    Im not saying how i know, but i know for a fact it's Jerez and i would put my house on it.
    Did you hear that recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

happy_head wrote: »

I think Jerez would be the best place for the training. Great facilities and weather. Plus all the training could take place in the one location instead of being moved around like with OAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shamrock421

kiwster wrote: »
    I think Jerez would be the best place for the training. Great facilities and weather. Plus all the training could take place in the one location instead of being moved around like with OAA.

You forgot to mention aswell Jerez has cheap beer! ;)
    On the piss for a year it will be more like lol

• Advertisement

You forgot to mention aswell Jerez has cheap beer! ;)
    On the piss for a year it will be more like lol

I have an inkling that we would be worked too hard to consider it a year of a piss-up, however I did just have a brilliant mental imagine of being breathalized by a flying Gárda.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement