Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

kiwster wrote: »
    I think Jerez would be the best place for the training. Great facilities and weather. Plus all the training could take place in the one location instead of being moved around like with OAA.

You forgot to mention aswell Jerez has cheap beer! ;)
    On the piss for a year it will be more like lol

I didn't think pilots drank lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hi folks. Is there much work out there for commercial pilots at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

newmug wrote: »
    Hi folks. Is there much work out there for commercial pilots at the moment?

3000+ applicants with 20 places..... enough said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

zulutango wrote: »
    Can I ask, how were people contacted by Aer Lingus last week? Email, phone, or post?

Email every time so far, I'm at the interview stage myself and everything to arrange my interview was via email.
    I wouldn't give up hope yet....Aer Lingus may have invited all they intend to interview at the moment but there's nothing to suggest that they won't call more people if they don't get the standard they want from the interviews that are being ran on at the moment.
    Similarly I don't think there's any guarantee they will fill all 20 places if they don't get people of the right standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ECHO INDIA

happy_head wrote: »
    Im not saying how i know, but i know for a fact it's Jerez and i would put my house on it.
    HH,
    Would you be willing to place a similar wager on the number of folks in Stage 4?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

ECHO INDIA wrote: »
    HH,
    Would you be willing to place a similar wager on the number of folks in Stage 4?
    :)

Not a hope!! I dont have a clue how many are still left in the competition, all i know is that im not in it anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BigBirdie

Got my eyesight tested yesterday, and luckily enough it's all perfect, but it was the weirdest experience! Anybody else find themselves staring at hot-air balloons and then being almost blinded by flashing lights?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

Tightwad wrote: »

Where did you get the figure of 3000+?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    Where did you get the figure of 3000+?

Aer Lingus Presentation after stage three assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

BigBirdie wrote: »
    Got my eyesight tested yesterday, and luckily enough it's all perfect, but it was the weirdest experience! Anybody else find themselves staring at hot-air balloons and then being almost blinded by flashing lights?? :cool:

Think the balloons machine is to see you have a stigmitism(spelling?) and the strobe job is that you are not subject to epilepsy......from my experience of this and we are going a few decades did they not get you to hyperventilate with the strobes on you?

• Advertisement

Bearcat wrote: »
    Think the balloons machine is to see you have a stigmitism(spelling?) and the strobe job is that you are not subject to epilepsy......from my experience of this and we are going a few decades did they not get you to hyperventilate with the strobes on you?

No they didn't actually.. However she did ask me if I had any problems with flashing lights and I said no so that's probably why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

The hyperventilating bit with strobes from memory was to induce a lack of O2 to the brain while putting the noggin under pressure with the strobes to see if it induced an epileptic attack.....way way over the top IMO.....think I collapsed....glad they've copped on.

Besta luck

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Aero Kid

I had the balloon test too. Passed the colour blindness test also. I had my 2 year check-up anyway so my optician carried that out and so I printed off the Class 1 medical vision standards for him to compare against my eye standards and everything was well within limits. Apprently I have vision better than 20/20 which surprised me considering that I was so close to getting eye surgery done when I was much younger! They did a perifferal (spelling?) test aswel which was pretty straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

I remember doing the strobe/hyperventilating test. Not a comfortable experience!
    The eyesight requirements aren't too stringent. I've been wearing contacts for 12 years to correct my myopia and slight astigmatism. -2.50 and -2.00 correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rowlandrat27

Hey all,

Been following this thread for a while now. Its been good getting the updates and peoples views on how its all going or going to go...

One thing I havent seen anything on is life in AL. Life during the training (from the blog) was very interesting, but that is only 14 months... does anyone have much insight into what its like to work in AL and what the hours/conditions are like? Also, in AL, what is a normal A320 pilots day like?

Anyone care even speculate what the starting salary would be and do you get paid once you finish the 14 months and are completing your training back in Dublin?

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 talktojesus

Hey all,

Been following this thread for a while now. Its been good getting the updates and peoples views on how its all going or going to go...

One thing I havent seen anything on is life in AL. Life during the training (from the blog) was very interesting, but that is only 14 months... does anyone have much insight into what its like to work in AL and what the hours/conditions are like? Also, in AL, what is a normal A320 pilots day like?You show up to the airport, meet the captain in ops. Sort out all your paperwork for the routes you will fly during your shift. ie, you might be on the DUB-LHR run, twice in one day or the DUB-BHX. You show up and you fly the plane, thats about it really. During the year you will have to do reccurrent training in the simulator(OPC every 6 months and LPC every year) and other health and safety courses aswell. That really is it in a nut shell.

Anyone care even speculate what the starting salary would be and do you get paid once you finish the 14 months and are completing your training back in Dublin? I think the starting salary will be in the region of €2,100-€2,600 take home pay after tax per month. You will only get paid once you get a Co-Pilot Employment Contract from Aer Lingus.Hopefully, you will be given this contract soon after you complete your MCC training! You will not be paid as a cadet pilot during your CPL/IR training and you will not be employed by Aer Lingus during your time as a cadet.

Cheers...
    Read Bold.

I seem to love asking stupid questions... On the 5 year background check, it says underlined that they insist there can be no more than a 14 day gap between each period. But see, I'm a student. So I have tonnes of gaps! Think it matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

I seem to love asking stupid questions... On the 5 year background check, it says underlined that they insist there can be no more than a 14 day gap between each period. But see, I'm a student. So I have tonnes of gaps! Think it matters?

Yes, you need to be able to account for EVERY gap in those 5 years. I've done one of these myself, (for a UK records check). I missed out a one week gap and it was an issue. You have to account for each gap, and have a reference who can back it up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 antonov225

Yes I'm the same. I have frequent gaps where I was travelling outside of the country. I've listed these periods as 'unemployed without benefit', with references from traveling partners though I'm concerned that these are references from private individuals and not employers or official bodies, but what else can I do? I've noted that I can provide lots of photos and flight booking references (some regrettably Ryanair) if it helps.
    EDIT: on the student side of things, I'd list the dates for example 'academic year 10th September '06 to 10th June '07' as one continuous period. I doubt you need to explain where you were for Christmas holidays and things as you have your reference as a full time student for the academic year. I'd just account for the summers. Or would I be wrong?

antonov225 wrote: »

EDIT: on the student side of things, I'd list the dates for example 'academic year 10th September '06 to 10th June '07' as one continuous period. I doubt you need to explain where you were for Christmas holidays and things as you have your reference as a full time student for the academic year. I'd just account for the summers. Or would I be wrong?

Well, what I've done is put uni as being from Sep '08 til present and then added in summer work as 3 separate histories..

• Advertisement

Well, what I've done is put uni as being from Sep '08 til present and then added in summer work as 3 separate histories..

I'd say you should fill in the exact dates for your registration for each academic year, and the dates of employment so as to make it as clear as possible. For example, you did not have more than a 14 day gap between the end of your exams and the start of your summer job or the end of your summer job and first week back at college. Of course I may be wrong but I got the impression that that kind of precision would be needed, what with aviation security being necessarily strict these days.

Which leaves me with the problem of unverifiable freelance work I've done over the years. A lot of these companies have dissolved since and never asked me for a PPS no. so the Revenue Commissioner can't help. How exactly does one put down 'unofficial' jobs :confused: Looks like I'll have a lot of 'unemployed without benefit' which was technically true when in actual fact I was working all that time but can't prove it. It won't look very good.

Tightwad wrote: »

Kulabula! I assume though, that since this is an AL thread, that those 20 jobs were with AL? I mean in the industry in Ireland as a whole, whats the commercial job scene like?

(Obviously there's 3000+ unemployed commercial pilots out there, but I'd still rather be in that bracket than be one of the 440,000 unemployed people with relatively common skills!)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭IrishB.ie

newmug wrote: »
    (Obviously there's 3000+ unemployed commercial pilots out there, but I'd still rather be in that bracket than be one of the 440,000 unemployed people with relatively common skills!)

antiTroll_spray.jpg

^^^^^^^^ I'm not trolling. Not everybody is into avaition you know. I'm just asking a simple question.

all the answers you seek have been discussed in the previous 104 pages.

The 3000+ applicants are not (yet) qualified pilots.

http://bit.ly/vhFobe

enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

There might well be 3000 umemployed pilots out there in Europe. They wouldn't be all Irish and most would be too qualified to get an Aer Lingus cadetship.

Actually that's an interesting question. I wonder how many CPL/ATPLs there are in the country working or non working. Of course all Ryanair pilots have Irish licences but most are foreign.

I wouldn't say there's too many unemployed Irish CPLs out there. I think a couple of hundred would be on the high side.

A quick Google reveals no obvious statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 talktojesus

I remember seeing a UK CAA artical in 2009 with an estimated 8,000 unemployed CPL or ATPL holders in the UK alone at that time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

Anyone find it interesting that NO ONE has commented yet on their final interview? I'm not talking about details here - I'm just talking about somebody saying that they have done it and now the wait begins..... wonder what's happening in there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well I'm at the interview stage but like many I think that indicating here that I have or have not done my interview may disclose further information to Aer Lingus as to who I am, prefer my communications with the company to be done through the formal process!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

Yeah I hear what you're saying, I just think it odd that no one has dropped a comment about completing it like when the group interviews were over. I guess there is a lot more at stake this time...

Advertisement