Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 colmdiniho

What kind of questions were asked in the actual interview?
    And was there an aptitude test?

Hoping to apply once I finish the leaving cert this year. Fingers crossed they'll be holding another programme like this in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

Did anyone get a PFO after the assessment day?

I haven’t received an e-mail form Aer Lingus since going to the assessment day? It would be nice to get closure on this and maybe even feedback. Should I expect an e-mail saying "no thanks"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tirty_3

Tightwad, you mean the initial group stage assessment day?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tightwad

Yes, the the group assessment in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Johnny Foxtrot

Yeah it was tough alright. Got some some questions on the Airbus fleet, fly by wire, jet engine operation, etc. among plenty of other technical questions.
    Really drilled into the answers given and looked for more detail again. Tough is the word!

• Advertisement

Tightwad wrote: »
    Yes, the the group assessment in October.

I would suggest getting in touch with them in that case, and would be surprised if you hadn't already done so. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

Yeah it was tough alright. Got some some questions on the Airbus fleet, fly by wire, jet engine operation, etc. among plenty of other technical questions.
    Really drilled into the answers given and looked for more detail again. Tough is the word!

I got all those questions too. I have some flying experience so I was wondering if they's why I was asked all those questions. I hadn't anticipated such in depth questioning but I was happy with how I answered them. How did everyone else feel about the technical questions? Did anyone with no flying experience get asked all those questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Charlie Sierra

kiwster wrote: »
    I got all those questions too. I have some flying experience so I was wondering if they's why I was asked all those questions. I hadn't anticipated such in depth questioning but I was happy with how I answered them. How did everyone else feel about the technical questions? Did anyone with no flying experience get asked all those questions?

I have no flying experience and got asked all those questions, fly by wire, jet engines, navigation, hydraulics, how to pressurise the cabin to name but a few. I'd say I knew the answer to about half of the technical questions although I think i answered the ones I didn't know rationally.
    Was happy with how it went in general. But as was said by others, trying to not get my hopes up (and trying to not check my emails every 5 minutes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 silverfield

I didn't really see the point in the technical questions as it's all stuff your going to learn anyway in the future. All it shows is that you can answer the basics and must have some sort of interest in aviation but again in my opinion it could have been time better spent. I think the interview should have been more HR led as it really is a very particular personality type that will thrive in the cockpit and they are trying to find those personality types - everything else as proven by aptitude can be learned. Anyway I reckon we'll find out next week either way. They kept drilling me on why I wanted to be a pilot - a pretty basic one but they kept coming back to it!

Also at this stage of the game I would be expecting a phone call rather than an email. Also for those not selected we are at the stage where we can ask for feedback as to why they made that decision.
    Good luck all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Going on past form I'll be checking my emails regularly at around 2000 tonight

guerito wrote: »
    Going on past form I'll be checking my emails regularly at around 2000 tonight

...Good point! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Aero Kid

The invite to the group stages arrived about 2000 on a friday night, the invite for the interview arrived by 2000 on a friday night.

So tonight then?! :P

I agree with the above, sometime next week will be the likely time we hear back.

I didn't really see the point in the technical questions as it's all stuff your going to learn anyway in the future...

it could have been time better spent. I think the interview should have been more HR led...

I've no flying experience but I was asked the basic technical points as well. The questions were extremely basic, at least compared to the level of detail you would learn during training. The objective of the questions is not to see what you know, but rather how much research you've done. If someone claims to want to be a pilot (and is looking for EI to pay €75K for them to do so), but hasn't bothered to read up on even the most basic technical points, then that's a pretty good indicator for the interviewer.

I didn't really see the point in the technical questions as it's all stuff your going to learn anyway in the future...

it could have been time better spent. I think the interview should have been more HR led...

I've no flying experience but I was asked the basic technical points as well. The questions were extremely basic, at least compared to the level of detail you would learn during training. The objective of the questions is not to see what you know, but rather how much research you've done. If someone claims to want to be a pilot (and is looking for EI to pay €75K for them to do so), but hasn't bothered to read up on even the most basic technical points, then that's a pretty good indicator for the interviewer.

But who in their right mind would have gone into the interview and not known the basics of flying? That was my point - I'm sure 100% of the people interviewed knew everything there was to know about the technical side of flying an aircraft; therefore the technical side of the interview, although it had to be asked, I would imagine will prove fruitless when it comes to deciding who goes forward as I'm sure we all answered pretty much at the same level?

Time will tell....

But who in their right mind would have gone into the interview and not known the basics of flying? That was my point - I'm sure 100% of the people interviewed knew everything there was to know about the technical side of flying an aircraft; therefore the technical side of the interview, although it had to be asked, I would imagine will prove fruitless when it comes to deciding who goes forward as I'm sure we all answered pretty much at the same level?

Time will tell....

I agree with both of the above posts.

Perhaps this is where the final stage comes into its own. They may use this final interview to really get to know you as a person before making that final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I've no flying experience at all but I was asked a nice bit on the technical side of things.
    I had done a bit of research but did feel I wished I knew more on some concepts but felt I was able to explain what I had been asked and showed that I can understand technical aspects of most things very quickly.
    The captain asked mostly the types of stuff that have already been mentioned by posters above. Glass cockpits, sidesticks, fly-by-wire, how do planes fly, how does a plane take off, how can pilots fly efficiently as fuel costs etc are key factors for airlines.

The HR side of things was quite tough probably moreso than the technical side really as that was more black and white. The HR lady was very friendly in fairness to her but she was probing a lot around aspects of what makes you want to be a pilot, what is your driving force and so on. She also was very quick on follow up questions on information I had given in a previous answer. I don't mind that as I've done tough interviews in the past but it keeps you on your toes and makes you wary of the answers you're giving.

Found it interesting as well that as I was asking questions at the end of interview, the HR rep was writing them down!

Information I was given through questions I asked etc.

Told was that the cadets may be based in two different locations, some in Florida and some in Spain, most likely Jerez but they wouldn't confirm that one as the contract had not been finalized.

Pay will be a starting salary of approximately 45,000 euro for the first 3 years after the training and type rating is completed. After that you are free from any bond with the company and could leave if you so wished, but if you are continuing with the company you will move onto a first officer's salary band of approx 55,000 euro.

Really enjoyed the experience overall as it's the first time I've done a proper interview for something outside the field I'm currently working in and felt I did pretty well in it.

I disagree, I'm currently in employment and would need to know that I'm not wasting my time or Aer Lingus's time with continuing with my application that the salary I would receive after 14 months that are unpaid would someway get me back on track financially and also would be enough to sustain my family, my mortage and the 25K loan I need to take. When you're dealing with reasonable people and proper organisations you should be comfortable to ask about pay and conditions at the appropriate time and in every interview I've ever done salary expectations has either been raised by the prospective employer or by myself.

As for moving Airline, you've possibly misunderstood the way I asked that question....I asked in relation to a potential bond. My intention and what I said to the interviewers was that if I was successful in this process and all going well with Aer Lingus that both parties would be happy to continue with my employment indefinitely so it's good to know what the potential liabilites from both sides are.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Have to say that the response from both the interviewers to my questions was quite open and not at all guarded. Anything I asked they answered and if they could tell me something they did, I mentioned Jerez but the captain said that the contract had not been signed so whilst it was likely he wouldn't confirm it.

With salary stuff, confirmation of that is obviously further down the track but above was the current indication and that's how it was phrased. But I figure that would likely be different if you were based in the UK or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

They know you won't know the answers to the questions they ask. Getting it right is not the point. The idea is to see how you react under pressure in a situation where time and options are against you.
    If you get the answer correct, they'll move onto something else or go back to a topic that you stumbled on. It's all about seeing if you can cope in a pressured environment.

• Advertisement

They know you won't know the answers to the questions they ask. Getting it right is not the point. The idea is to see how you react under pressure in a situation where time and options are against you.
    If you get the answer correct, they'll move onto something else or go back to a topic that you stumbled on. It's all about seeing if you can cope in a pressured environment.

Ah yeah of course, I actually enjoy it really as whilst it is serious business it's a good challenge to get through interviews when you're getting picked up on things you say. Shows they're actually listening to you I feel as well instead of a going through the motions interview...did one of those once when for the only time ever in my life I was late for an interview. I shouldn't have bothered turned up but I just couldn't for the life of me find one particular industrial estate/business park of the 7 or so in Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

I take it no one got an email last night then.

I was scrolling down the page and "got" and "email" caught my eyes. Got me worried until I read the sentence fully haha!

I was scrolling down the page and "got" and "email" caught my eyes. Got me worried until I read the sentence fully haha!

I didn't get anything no....I'd say start or next week at the earliest.

Oops, apologies for the double post.

I'd say the references will be contacted first? So if you get them to let you know when/if they are contacted you would be on to a winner.

Is that how it works? I thought that they'd make offers which would be subject to satisfactory references.

Is that how it works? I thought that they'd make offers which would be subject to satisfactory references.

Yeah maybe you're right - it probably would make more sense your way but who knows? Maybe tomorrow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Just Dandy

The waiting is killing me... If I get offered a place and I'm dead what good is that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Just Dandy

Apologies to anyone who logged on, saw the new page and got their hopes up/down! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Charlie Sierra

Just Dandy wrote: »
    Apologies to anyone who logged on, saw the new page and got their hopes up/down! :D

Yep, the next page just got me worried that I had missed out on an acceptance to the next round!

Although at least then there'd be news..this waiting is killing me too!

Advertisement