Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

Just got the PFO from Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I just got the PFO as well, ah sure it was a nice dream while it lasted even if completely and likely utterly unrealistic and probably undoable for me. It was a good boost to get that far into the process, down to the interview stage of 60-70 people out of an initial application of over 2000 people.
    I'll keep an eye out for the cadetship if it comes up again but I think I'm unlikely to reapply.

Good to luck to all those who got through and good luck to everyone who contributed to the thread whatever you end up doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

PFO here too. Very disappointed but glad to get a confirmation either way. See ya all back here soon hopefully :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Welcome to the club, I could paper the walls with PFO letters at one stage. Remember Aer Lingus is full of pilots who got a PFO letter when they applied for a cadetship. Quite a few probably never even applied because the wouldn't have met the requirements or even had a chance to apply because there were none. But made it in later when they had experience.

Now is the time to think about a medium term plan to find a way of getting into the pilot's seat AND get paid for it.

If you really want it, you'll find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Aero Kid

Anyone not received their unsuccessful email?

I got to the panel interview but haven't been called for the medical/interview. People on here got their email today and my mate got his today but I haven't received anything....strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Queenie_123

Aero Kid wrote: »
    Anyone not received their unsuccessful email?

I got to the panel interview but haven't been called for the medical/interview. People on here got their email today and my mate got his today but I haven't received anything....strange.

Nothing from them yet either. God was i that bad,they cant even be bothered to send me a PFO...:(

Nothing from them yet either. God was i that bad,they cant even be bothered to send me a PFO...:(

Haha! I hope not! :o

I thought it might be some technical reason for not having it yet but with someone else not having got theirs maybe not. I don't know. Impossible to say as I have no idea how they are running things....

I dropped them an email explaining the situation. Will wait and see what that says unless the PFO makes an appearance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Pure guess you two but there are two likely reasons you didn't get a PFO yet. One is that they haven't got around to it. The other is that you're on a shortlist of potential candidates in case some of the others don't work out. Remember there's bound to more suitable candidates than places.

For some people that might almost be worse, so near so far. On the other hand, next year:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Queenie_123

Well I'd resigned myself to the fact I hadnt got it about a month ago so they can only meet my expectations or improve upon them :)

I am the exact same. Around mid December when word was spreading that people had been called for medicals etc I was convinced that I hadn't made the cut. A month on I'm still thinking the same. They either finally get around to sending the PFO and it confirms what I have been thinking for the past month or I get a call for the next stage and in that case I'd be extremely happy!

I did think at the possibility of there being a shortlist but like I said in an earlier post, I have no idea how they are running things. Hopefully they get back to my email explaining the situation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 EI2012

Hi Folks,

Watching my e-mails like a hawk and nothing yet from EI, completed the panel interview mid December and haven't heard back yet.............

Tense times these and chat is cheap but trust me, we all did extremely well to get to the final stages, competition was fierce and we all really did do very well, I am sure that the panel commended all of you and they are right to do so, keep up this level of ability and your career will go fine whatever it turns out to be.

At least I now know how to power an island should I ever get the opportunity to run one, wind, or was it sea, no solar, or was it just batteries..............

• Registered Users Posts: 25 funhouse18

all i know for sure is...

*PFOs to panel interview stage have gone out.

*1 person here claims 2 hav gotten it (via pm) nd 1 other says they know of a person who got a job offer on or around da 4th Jan. Would make sense from a planning-to-move-abroad perspective but is incredibly close 2 medical/psychologist stage. i don't know what to think...

*no announcement by FTE (wher da person here dat said he got it claims training will be undertaken) or EI themselves. nd, no firm dates of course commencement or a view 2 when a contract wil b sent out.

*no further news of any others getting it.

*chance of EI havin backup candidates.

Anybody else have any news? Right bak 2 work! Anyways, New Years Resolution: Stop partaking in speculation... starting 4rm now! :-) Soz 4 txt talk, on mobile...

Something I have been told might help with regards to EI offers. I was speaking to someone who went for their medical/interview on what have been the fourth of January and he got only so much notice.

There was a group of us at another cadet selection day and we were talking about other cadet programs that we had applied for....we were discussing this on the 10th of January. One of guys I was talking to said he got called for a medical/interview and attended that on the Wednesday before, which would make that the 4th of January? He was still to hear back from EI....so how could they made final offers if he (and others) had only just gone for the medical/interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If cadets are only going to be trained in small groups of 4 or 5 at a time it perhaps makes some sense that final offers are only being made in batches or dribs and drabs so-to-speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

To answer another posters question from a while back. The FTO is FTE in Jerez. There was an article in our latest flight ops newsletter with a few details of the cadet scheme.

basill wrote: »
    To answer another posters question from a while back. The FTO is FTE in Jerez. There was an article in our latest flight ops newsletter with a few details of the cadet scheme.

Basill, any mention of the stage that they are at with regards to making the final selection of cadets?

PFOs have been sent out to a number of people who got to the panel interview (which I attended) but I'm yet to receive mine, but not been called for the final stage either. Stuck in limbo right now...

The newsletter stated that the selection was complete and the courses due to start shortly. But you need to bear in mind that the newsletter was probably put together before Xmas so flight ops were probably making a few assumptions.

Hi Folks,

I'm still hanging in and waiting for that e-mail telling me of my faith after the panel interview, but not a sausage as they say.......
    Are others still the same, any news update on the status of the programme?

Be cool
    EI2012

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

is it true nepotism was at play for a few of the chosen.sons of captains? or is that BS

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

is it true nepotism was at play for a few of the chosen.sons of captains? or is that BS

Well I have already heard a name mentioned that was unsuccessful, have been told that his dad was a well regarded skipper who retired within the last 5-8 years.

• Advertisement

From what I have seen of nepotism in AL it only gets your CV onto the right desk. Still have to jump through all the hoops and no guarantee of a job if you don't cut it.

Incidentally there seems to be more of a shift towards HR having the final call on recruitment these days so it could well be a thing of the past going forward. Unless of course you know someone in HR:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Nepotism exist's to a certain extent in all careers, always has always will. The fact that it possibly exists in Aer Lingus is not new information and is not unusual either.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

bombs away wrote: »
    Nepotism exist's to a certain extent in all careers, always has always will. The fact that it possibly exists in Aer Lingus is not new information and is not unusual either.

Maybe not unusual, but upsetting all the same, the dredges of ex EI Capt's ensuring young Timothy gets an easy pass to the Gravy Boat, while the Hoi Polloi bring up the rear! Stiff upper lip indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

With the various criteria and tests in the modern era, entry is on merit only. There are people who have followed in a parent's footsteps however they also had merit on their side too. I also know plenty of pilots in various airlines who had to pay for their sons' training as they couldn't get a cadetship.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

They must be out now?

From Limerick Flying Club Facebook page:
    Congrats to club PPL "Name" who has been selected to join Aer Lingus' cadet programme. He starts his advanced flight training in the next couple of weeks. We wish you a long and safe flying career with the big boys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 I have a headache

Well thats my bubble burst.................

Dream was nice while I had it, best of luck to the chosen few

But still haven't got the official rejection from EI but this is as good as

Boo Hoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Moon_Shadow

Can I firstly congratulate the chosen guys. I hope you have a great time in Spain! And the best of luck with your future careers! I mean that!

I, personally, feel very let down by the company. I don't think I'm the only one here. They made zero effort to contact and let you know within a reasonable time frame what the outcome of the process was. Today, they announce the cadetship details officially - that is the cruelest way I could think to say to those that are unsuccessful that you haven't got the position. I think it borders on rude. At least I have a definitive answer now and can plan ahead accordingly. Having a close family relative involved in public service recruitment their opinion is that the manner of Aer Lingus's contact has been very unprofessional and that's the general consensus from anyone that asks how I'm getting on.

British Airways let those that were unsuccessful know the same day as those that were successful. If you were on a panel as a backup why didn't EI have the courtesy to say so rather than dangle the carrot for best part of 2/3 months and then announce it officially without contacting you beforehand to break the bad news? They were obviously preoccupied contacting the media and writing Mueller's speech...

Don't sound the trumpets just yet on this one Aer Lingus! Your on-time elimination emails are appalling!

My overall sentiment: Very happy to have gotten so far. Obviously disappointed not to have gotten it. But I'm bitter about how I was treated at the end. I'd think twice before applying again to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

An Air Corps Cadet (who didnt make it past the curragh training camp bit) is one of the 20 I heard!

Well done to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

@Moon_Shadow,

I couldnt agree more. Having kept up with this discussion and been one of the unlucky ones from a previous round, I think the handling of this final stage by Aer Lingus HR has been down-right dreadful for those last group of recruits. This seriously wasnt handled well by the company and Im sure for those who didnt make it, a bitter pill to swallow. The least that could have been granted to these was a simple telephone call from HR to inform them, not through public media :( I would hope they will learn going forward!! Looks like they are keeping it local too judging by the report, only Irish and UK cadets in the final cut.
    However, one has to congratulate those who did get through and to everyone else whose dream it is to make it into the cockpit, hopefully it will come through for you.

Advertisement