Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

NewSigGuy wrote: »
    XWB wrote: »
    I got a chill down my spine when I saw this was off again......

Bluffer..

+1

XWB I get a chill down my spine when I read your ridiculous guff.
    You are either trolling or suffer some sort of Walter Mitty like delusions of grandeur regarding your knowledge of irish aviation.

Find some other forum where you can make things up & fill people's heads with crap ( might i suggest the investments forum ? ) This is the aircraft and aviation forum, bluffers like you can't survive here. The industry is too detailed.

My Apologies to the Mods , but disinformation is of no benefit to those interested in a career in aviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Suits

Could people who claim to be experienced pilots stop bringing their petty ego battles into threads that are meant for those wanting to get into the industry and can the mods please do something to make posters direct their posting more toward the topic and less toward attacking eachother and all other posters who disagree with them.

There are a number of posters who clearly have an off board relationship with eachother and only post when riding to the rescue of those other posters. I've noticed a pattern of posts from certain posters who either all know eachother or are the same person! XWB may be a crock but other posters who attack him and claim to be EI staff etc have a way of conducting themselves that stinks to high heaven! If is a troll then do what adults who fly heavy jets do and ignore him, dont fill a thread with 100+ pages of childish tit for tat like you have here.

The irony is in exposing him a lot of people have exposed themselves as bluffers or well below the maturity/ adult conduct level expected of a pilot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

How hard is it for people to just hit "Report Post" and let us do the moderation if you don't lke the content of someone's post?

I want no further discussion or speculation about people's credentials in this thread, send me a PM to discuss youre feelings if you wish but please stop dragging threads off into slagging matches. Report post or send us a PM to discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

A320 wrote: »
    I cant wait until Bearcat reads this,the popcorn is on!!!!!

I've just read half this muck with a glance as I'm rushing out to work. WalterMitty(s).com at work again I'm afraid.....will report back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

@pclancy: I appreciate where you're coming from, but when literally thousands of people were pinning their dreams on the offer of a cadet programme, and some people spread misinformation (to the point where credibility was unchallengable) it is important to correct the misinformation in the thread where possible. I must say I was very dismayed that some people were basing their choices on this programme on the basis of some the stuff that came up in this thread, clearly to their unnecessary detriment. It's a shame that this thread lost a lot of its quality.

@suits: The reaction of people is quite understandable as in fairness the desire to get the right info out there reflects a passion for the job rather than a lack of professionalism.

In any case, no confirmation on any DE or cadet scheme for next year as yet. Any speculation on the chief pilot job is purely that, speculation.

• Advertisement

MoeJay wrote: »
    @suits: The reaction of people is quite understandable as in fairness the desire to get the right info out there reflects a passion for the job rather than a lack of professionalism.

The issue I have is that some guys who claim to be "real" Aer Lingus pilots(or any other airline) behave like a shower of 6 year olds sometimes and actually contribute very little information to the topic at hand. They concentrate more on telling you how wrong you are and not actually providing correction to your statement. I have not read all of this thread as I have a feeling much of it is crap with no relation to the topic.
    For what it's worth a lot of XWB's comment throughout was well in line with what I have heard from older Aer Lingus guys recently. Posters like basill actually give us info about Aer Lingus, while xflyer gives info and experience of his career. Others just focus on attacking other posters who seek to ad their bit. There are a lot of posters who claim seniority here yet when they disagree they do not reply with: "You are mistaken this is in fact how I believe it is", they reply with lines like "You are a half witted moron" and the likes.
    Take XWB as you will but he displayed a level or maturity and eloquence that those who seek to put him down lack. I have not read all his posts but I do believe that he was never rude or crass toward any posters and he replied politely to a number of PMs I sent him. I do not feel I could approach some other airline guys here in such a way. So let he who is without sin cast the 1st stone.

Oh and PS: I believe that anyone who didnt apply based on what they read on an internet forum written by faceless strangers most likely saved Aer Lingus some time and lacked any real passion for the job. Passion would see you run through fire for your chance. Anyone who cant just fire off an application due to something they read written by someone they dont know.....well need I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

As the thread starter I am requesting the thread now to be closed.

Some one else start off an AL Cadet 2 thread.

Bearcat wrote: »
    As the thread starter I am requesting the thread now to be closed.

Some one else start off an AL Cadet 2 thread.

I agree with the closure but dont think another thread should be started until there is official confirmation that atleast there is a chance of a cadetship. Given how this panned out starting a thread to speculate about speculation will just be more of the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

The way some people handle this thread if i was a passenger i really wouldnt want fly with them.Totally unprofessional and not what you would want from a pilot. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Xpro wrote: »
    The way some people handle this thread if i was a passenger i really wouldnt want fly with them.Totally unprofessional and not what you would want from a pilot. :(
    :DIt's the internet not real life. Plus not everyone commenting here is actually pilot. As for pilots, don't have any illusions. There's nothing special about them. They're just like everyone else if not worse.

• Advertisement

xflyer wrote: »
    :DIt's the internet not real life. Plus not everyone commenting here is actually pilot. As for pilots, don't have any illusions. There's nothing special about them. They're just like everyone else if not worse.

The manner and conduct of those who claim to be full bird pilots is fishy and doesnt give the impression that some people are all they say they are. I think some people reach an age where they smile and just move on. Before that they dive in with 2 feet....not a good trait in any profession, nevermind aviation and some guys here display that immaturity openly and in some cases ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Correct this is the Internet and its a public, privately owned Internet forum where anyone can register and as long as they dont break the forum charter, Boards.ie rules or deflame anybody or any company they can say pretty much what they like.

I can't ask for people's ID badges or licences when they claim to be a current or former employee of any airline or company, nor do I have access to personal email addresses or IP numbers to know who people really are. So we have to take most people at their word.

If someone claims to have inside knowladge and information and choses to share it on here there's not much I can do to refute it unless a company or person complains specifically to Boards.ie that what they have stated is unfactual or potentially liable.

There are several Aer Lingus pilots on Boards who have chosen to let me know who they are. There are also several ex employees who know a lot of EI procedures and processes that might have been the case when they worked there but since have changed etc. I As I say, I have no real way of proving their identity so the onus is on you to take what you read here with a pinch of salt and make up your own mind. I wouldnt base any one part of my life on what I read on the Internet, you need to use a number of sources to make your decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

In the middle of the thread,there's a post about a rumour suggesting the Aer Lingus Cadet Programme might run for another 5 years.Is this at all true because it would be, pardon my language, F###### class if it did.
    Thanks,
    Geekness1234.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

In the middle of the thread,there's a post about a rumour suggesting the Aer Lingus Cadet Programme might run for another 5 years.Is this at all true because it would be, pardon my language, F###### class if it did.
    Thanks,
    Geekness1234.

Nobody knows. It will depend on market issues and crew demand(and if Ryanair or someone else buys them). In any case if the last selection is anything to go by and actual want to be a pilot is not the major factor.

LeftBase wrote: »
    Nobody knows. It will depend on market issues and crew demand(and if Ryanair or someone else buys them). In any case if the last selection is anything to go by and actual want to be a pilot is not the major factor.
    Thanks for the quick reply,it would be great if it was an annual programme.

How many years do you sign on for usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

When I joined you signed up to a 3 year reducing bond. This was an ROI contract. No idea if things have changed or if there are differing bond terms in the other bases or for the cadets.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Be great if ryanair buys them, we`d all have jobs then:D

Thanks for the quick reply,it would be great if it was an annual programme.

The small issue I had last year was the full page ad in the Indo. I thought it should have been in Flying in Ireland or somewhere only those committed to aviation would see it. The sad reality was that many people who had trooped the hard miles were pushed aside by Aer Lingus for college graduates who saw the "$$$$$" side of flying. Although that ship sailed long ago. There were a fair few called on the strength of a CV who had very little interest in the job at all until they saw the ad.(I know one guy personally...I'm a little peeved that he got it)

The small issue I had last year was the full page ad in the Indo. I thought it should have been in Flying in Ireland or somewhere only those committed to aviation would see it. The sad reality was that many people who had trooped the hard miles were pushed aside by Aer Lingus for college graduates who saw the "$$$$$" side of flying. Although that ship sailed long ago. There were a fair few called on the strength of a CV who had very little interest in the job at all until they saw the ad.(I know one guy personally...I'm a little peeved that he got it)

Wholeheartedly agree with you on how they advertise it,I find it incredibly annoying how some are only financially motivated (know a few myself).

Do they only except college graduates?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Xpro wrote: »
    Be great if ryanair buys them, we`d all have jobs then:D

Jobs; yes, but not with FR, you would be contracted to FR while employed by Brookfield.
    training debts to FR: yes,
    reasonable job security: No

Do they only except college graduates?

No they will entertain people without degrees, but it seems to be something they like. Personally if I had a guy with a masters in accounting and a guy with a PPL or hours and I was a HR guy, I'd take the PPL guys and give the accountant my tax returns.
    I would view it more as a case of "you wanted to be an accountant, now you want to be a pilot....will you want to be a fireman next year?"

When will we find out if there is a 2013 cadet training programme?

When will we find out if there is a 2013 cadet training programme?

I'd imagine the Spring but that's just a guess

basill wrote: »
    When I joined you signed up to a 3 year reducing bond. This was an ROI contract. No idea if things have changed or if there are differing bond terms in the other bases or for the cadets.

What exactly is a 3 year reducing bond?

What exactly is a 3 year reducing bond?

You are bonded for 3 years to the airline(usually your TR cost). Say that is 30k. You may pay 13k out of your wages in year one, 10k in the 2nd year and 7k in year 3.

You are bonded for 3 years to the airline(usually your TR cost). Say that is 30k. You may pay 13k out of your wages in year one, 10k in the 2nd year and 7k in year 3.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

I know one of the cadets who alot think is a complete joke that this person got the cadetship at all due to previous misconduct in the general aviation scene in Ireland, but I'm sure HR never where told this! but all the flying clubs in the country where certainly told under no circumstance to let this person become a member of your club.

God help the passengers in the future.

A huge amount of lads from Irish Flying Clubs who are great, great guys did not get this and that really is the sad part.

It proves the system of recruitment needs to be seriously looked at. We need to bring back the 1940's era attitude to Pilot recruiment.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭saspeir

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    I know one of the cadets who alot think is a complete joke that this person got the cadetship at all due to previous misconduct in the general aviation scene in Ireland, but I'm sure HR never where told this! but all the flying clubs in the country where certainly told under no circumstance to let this person become a member of your club.

What happened? Sounds like s/he must have done something very dangerous?

• Advertisement

Jesus Nut wrote: »

A huge amount of lads from Irish Flying Clubs who are great, great guys did not get this and that really is the sad part.

It proves the system of recruitment needs to be seriously looked at. We need to bring back the 1940's era attitude to Pilot recruiment.
    Out of interest,what was the 1940's era attitude to pilot recruitment like?

Advertisement