Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

To those intending to apply for this, it might not be the worst idea to keep a low profile in forums such as this and PPrUNE, you dont know who might be reading them and you dont want to impede your chances of being selected.

Also to those who are speculating over age categories, how much to pay etc... the reality is you know as much as anyone else so giving people advice on whether or not someone is eligible is pointless and will just piss people off!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    To those intending to apply for this, it might not be the worst idea to keep a low profile in forums such as this and PPrUNE, you dont know who might be reading them and you dont want to impede your chances of being selected.

Also to those who are speculating over age categories, how much to pay etc... the reality is you know as much as anyone else so giving people advice on whether or not someone is eligible is pointless and will just piss people off!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest!

Couldn't have put it better myself, it was getting to a pprune-esque level of completely unsubstantiated claims and rumours.

Best of luck to all applying, hopefully it will be the re-beginning of a bright future for everyone in the country who wants to follow their dreams of flying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LoopyLaur

I have no idea of my leaving cert results! Did it 4 years ago I am 100% that I have sufficient grades as I needed similar to get the course I did in college. May just fish around my house and see if I can locate the cert! :) Very excited about this but dont want to get my hopes up I have a slight lazy eye I will just have bite the bullet and go to an optomitrist and find out. Also fingers crossed the fee isnt too astonomical :) I also have no flying experience which may not go in my favour.
    Good Luck everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

In recent times when such a situation has arisen EI have put the cadet overflow in a hold pool and picked people out as needed. Classic example are the 2000/2001 class who were mothballed after 9/11 having completed training but were taken back on round 2004/2005. In any case you will have a fATPL you didnt have before you started and it will have most likely costed you less that the usual integrated route!

Just to clarify on the above point....My understanding was that it was IALPA (the pilots union) who insisted on the company entering into an agreement to rehire the cadets first before any new hires were taken on. AL were happy to furlough the cadets. They were rehired at the start of the recruitment drive around 06/07 I think and retained seniority etc.

Having said the above, it is not really in ALs interest not to employ any of the new cadets, assuming they are to standard, as it would do little for PR being the first course.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Why is everybody going on about the age?? It was never mentioned in the Entry Requirements. Another guesstimation:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dystophia

If for example someone didn't achieve a C on his mathematics on his leaving cert (5 years ago for example). Perhaps the person may have had additional courses afterwards, self study etc. Obviously this won't make a C appear on his leaving cert, but the grades no longer have anything to do with the person in question his mathematical skills. Perhaps the grades were just a result of "childhood laziness"?

What happens to such cases? Grades can date from many years ago. Perhaps the same ones with a B aren't worthy of it anymore either up on this date. Just wondering, no self experience or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lifehacker

Dystophia wrote: »
    If for example someone didn't achieve a C on his mathematics on his leaving cert (5 years ago for example). Perhaps the person may have had additional courses afterwards, self study etc. Obviously this won't make a C appear on his leaving cert, but the grades no longer have anything to do with the person in question his mathematical skills. Perhaps the grades were just a result of "childhood laziness"?

What happens to such cases? Grades can date from many years ago. Perhaps the same ones with a B aren't worthy of it anymore either up on this date. Just wondering, no self experience or anything.

Very interesting point Dystophia, was wondering this exact point myself. It does seem to put alot of people in one bracket if they simply did not achieve two higher level C's, although they may have achieved a good LC regardless. Hopefully AL take college courses/ further education and experience into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Best of luck to all applying, hopefully it will be the re-beginning of a bright future for everyone in the country who wants to follow their dreams of flying
    Cadetships were always for the lucky few, actually not lucky but those who most suited Aer Lingus' view of what makes a potential airline pilot.

Everyone else will have to do it the hard way. If you are really serious about becoming a pilot you WILL find a way. Aer Lingus is not the be all and end all.

There's always Ryanair which is were most of us end up eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hi 5

xflyer wrote: »
    Cadetships were always for the lucky few, actually not lucky but those who most suited Aer Lingus' view of what makes a potential airline pilot.

Everyone else will have to do it the hard way. If you are really serious about becoming a pilot you WILL find a way. Aer Lingus is not the be all and end all.

There's always Ryanair which is were most of us end up eventually.

I would 'find a way' to get my IR done today if Ryanair was that "easy"!!!! :cool:
    Am I looking (or NOT looking) at the selection process "properly"...canvasing, TRI's on your side, MOL's cousin etc etc?????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roar83

Quick question,

In the university education section it states
    Qualifications obtained with dates and results
    Do i just put in what degree i got and at what level and the date i got it, i.e Engineering, 2.2 honors degree obtained in september 2005

or do i also put in my actual exam results of each of the subjects i did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 murraymp

The university section is below that. I think you're looking at the additional education section... skip that and the university section is much more straightforward

No one said anything is easy, Hi 5, the point is that there are at best 20 places available with Aer Lingus. Ryanair probably takes that many every few months. All of them found a way of getting their IR and the rest.

Ryanair have been criticised for making people pay for their training. Well what is Aer Lingus doing now?

My point is that if you want to be pilot you have make sacrifices and put in a hell of a lot of work to get there. Plus you need to find the money.

Whenever I hear someone say they 'really' wanted to be a pilot but it was too expensive. Then I don't think they wanted it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

Ryanair have been criticised for making people pay for their training. Well what is Aer Lingus doing now?

We have to compare apples with apples here.
    Once you have your basic license Ryanair will charge you £30K + for the -800 rating, making a big profit out of that , whilst you have no guarantee of a job afterwards and if you do get offered a job , you get paid a pittance for the first few months.

If you apply with the same license to Aer lingus and get offered a course , you don't pay for the rating and subject to passing the training , have a proper well paid job immediately.

Ryanair dont pay for any portion of ones basic license so we can't really say that is the equivalent of Aer lingus charging for training.
    However I don't understand why Aer lingus can't find what they need already out there, just about every other airline in the world can.
    It does strike me as being a bit OTT.

No one said anything is easy, Hi 5, the point is that there are at best 20 places available with Aer Lingus. Ryanair probably takes that many every few months. All of them found a way of getting their IR and the rest.

My point is that if you want to be pilot you have make sacrifices and put in a hell of a lot of work to get there. Plus you need to find the money.

Whenever I hear someone say they 'really' wanted to be a pilot but it was too expensive. Then I don't think they wanted it enough.

Patronising and then stating the Obvious!?!?!
    Not ALL OF US have 30K to finish off OUR DREAMS & HARD WORK!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Nonsense, most people aren't mad enough or have commitments to gamble €100,000 or thereabouts on training for a job when they have no idea if they'll be able to get a job.

It has nothing to do with no wanting it enough.

glad to see someone else agrees with me....have a few choice words for 'him' but could do without a slap on the wrist from a MODERATOR!!!!!

some people.....hmmmm!!!!

Not ALL OF US have 30K to finish off OUR DREAMS & HARD WORK!!!! mad.gif
    Sorry if the truth annoys. It's clear from reading this thread that it's not so obvious. I found the money as did most of my friends now working as pilots. To a man and woman, none of them had it handed to them. They did what they could to find the money. That includes several in Aer Lingus. If the only thing between I needed was €30k. I would find it. Not only that I did.

John_Mc wrote: »
    Nonsense, most people aren't mad enough or have commitments to gamble €100,000 or thereabouts on training for a job when they have no idea if they'll be able to get a job.

It has nothing to do with not wanting it enough.
    You do have to be mad, but you don't need €100k up front. It can be done in stages over a number of years. But you do need absolute committment.
    Hi 5 wrote: »
    glad to see someone else agrees with me....have a few choice words for 'him' but could do without a slap on the wrist from a MODERATOR!!!!!

some people.....hmmmm!!!!
    Why don't you report me then. I'm only telling it like it is. I've been through it. I know how it works. If you don't like what I say put me on your ignore list.

There is a lot of excitement about this whole cadet thing. But the truth is there's only 20 places and those who get through will have to pay for their own training, just like everyone else. Not upfront but they have to pay anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Still a nice office.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

There is a lot of excitement about this whole cadet thing. But the truth is there's only 20 places and those who get through will have to pay for their own training, just like everyone else. Not upfront but they have to pay anyway.

Where are you getting the number of 20 from??

I should have said 'supposedly 20'. But I heard from an Aer Lingus Captain. It might be less actually, 20 would be on the high side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They will take 20 if there are 20 up to the standard, nothing stopping them taking 5.

Id listen to Xflyer, hes a pilot, arguing with somebody who has the T-shirt (or stripes) is retarded IMO, hes just giving you advice and very good advice at that.

If you want to be a pilot youl be a pilot, there was a lad 3 years below me in secondary, said hed be a pilot, we all laughed. Jokes on us hes 19 going on 20 and is a FO in Ryanair. Hes balls deep in debt, but he wanted it, he had the commitment and now hes probably chillin in a apartment in Milan or somewhere after a flight.

If you want something go and ****ing do it, TBH they aint gunna take people who are just applying because its their childhood dream, they are gunna take people who will be 100% committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

kona wrote: »
    They will take 20 if there are 20 up to the standard, nothing stopping them taking 5.

Id listen to Xflyer, hes a pilot, arguing with somebody who has the T-shirt (or stripes) is retarded IMO, hes just giving you advice and very good advice at that.

If you want to be a pilot youl be a pilot, there was a lad 3 years below me in secondary, said hed be a pilot, we all laughed. Jokes on us hes 19 going on 20 and is a FO in Ryanair. Hes balls deep in debt, but he wanted it, he had the commitment and now hes probably chillin in a apartment in Milan or somewhere after a flight.

If you want something go and ****ing do it, TBH they aint gunna take people who are just applying because its their childhood dream, they are gunna take people who will be 100% committed.

Counldnt agree more kona and 20 is the number being batted around from what Ive been told. But as you said, only if they find the right applicants!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kona wrote: »
    ...TBH they aint gunna take people who are just applying because its their childhood dream, they are gunna take people who will be 100% committed.

Maybe its not representative. But of all the pilots I know, (most of whom are all Captains) very few of them have any great passion for flying. It was simply a smart career move at the time. All of them would be high achievers, and markedly ambitious to the point of arrogance. I only know very few for whom flying was/is their passion and made a career of it in an airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

BostonB wrote: »
    Maybe its not representative. But of all the pilots I know, (most of whom are all Captains) very few of them have any great passion for flying. It was simply a smart career move at the time. All of them would be high achievers, and markedly ambitious to the point of arrogance. I only know very few for whom flying was/is their passion and made a career of it in an airline.

I totally agree with you on that, alot of pilots that Ive talked to have degrees, and they are degrees in random stuff , one was even a heart surgeon. The FO Im talking about was a arrogant prick too, but he seemed to know what he wanted and went and got it mayeb hes a acception. Fair play to him, he didnt wait around hoping for a cadetship.

Im just saying that theres a awful lot of jizzing in this thread and people should listen to Xflyers advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Folks the language in this thread is not to the standard we usually expect...please keep it clean and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Hi 5 wrote: »
    Not ALL OF US have 30K to finish off OUR DREAMS & HARD WORK!!!! :mad:

He's just offering plain and simple advice, I wouldnt take it so badly, nobody here doubts the financial or mental hardship that goes into getting your wings because many of us have been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I've had quite a few PMs asking for advice and/or some of the material I mentioned earlier. Thanks for the messages but unfortunately i cant reply personally to everyone however I will provide general advice on the thread as things progress.

There really is not much point in talking about assessment centres, first and second interviews, group exercises, further written assessments, psychological assessments, company and JAA and medicals if no one manages to get through the online application!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MightyDucks

i agree with xflyer to a certain extent. I do believe that if you want it bad enough you will do it, however when you consider that some people have families to take care of it changes things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 M.O.L.

Just got an e-mail back from the service team today, after I outlined to AL the problem of entering your LC results for this years candidates (which won't receive them until the 17th of this month) .

They replied stating " Dear Robert, Unfortunately this year's leaving certificates will not be applicable for
    the programme. "

Now I'm fully aware when Willie Walsh applied years ago, that he got it just after his LC. Same goes for an EI skipper I know that got in at the age of 19 back in the 80's.

I'd say they just won't accept 2011 candidates because they advertised it too early. Set the deadline for 14th of August, having known this years LC results will be released on the 17th.

E-mail they sent also says "Aer Lingus have yet to make any decision on whether or not this
    programme will be run again in the future."

Looks like this will be the last cadetship until there is until economic recovery. Sucks knowing I can't even apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

M.O.L. wrote: »
    Just got an e-mail back from the service team today....

I wouldnt be too worried Robert.

You may not be able to apply for this but it is by no means the end of the world.

When I finished my leaving cert I too felt ready to move into something like this, the idea of college didnt overly appeal to me.

However now almost finished college, it is amazing the difference a few short years can make. You will develop new life experience, gain more skills and become a more rounded individual in a couple of years after college - plus you will have the time of your life.

There will always be opportunities in the future to follow your dream career path, it just may not be with Aer Lingus. As previously posted, many have done so and off their own backs too!

Plus, being just out of school, being 100k in the red is not very desireable! In a few years you will be in a much better position to go down the pilot road, give yourself time and dont beat yourself up over it.

Advertisement