Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

upgrading a buddies bike

• 19-05-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

well lads and ladies im looking for a bit of advice on a bike for a friend, the bike in question is a felt q220, wouldnt have been my first choice in cycling equipment but what is done is done, anyway he is looking at upgrading the bike.

He has already bought avid juicy three disk brakes but the problem is that the shifter and brake lever that are on the bike right now are a single unit so no new disk brakes until he gets new shifters,
    i think he is going to buy a 10 speed chainset (slx) to replace the current crappy one on the bike but i dont think his current hub will support a 10 speed so any ideas there? also will the rear triangle support a 10 speed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

From what it says in your link the short answer is no,unless he wants to replace the rear wheel as well,the wheel on the felt has a screw on freewheel and not a freehub body to take a cassette,if would have to replace both mechs as well it seems a bit silly to me!would he not just trade his bike in and get something nice instead of throwing money at a cheap bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Your not helping him to upgrade this are you?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why does he need a 10spd compatible chainset anyways?

The first things to upgrade on a bike are the wheels, then the drive train, nothing wrong with 2010, Slx 9spd and it ill be a lot cheaper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Your not helping him to upgrade this are you?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why does he need a 10spd compatible chainset anyways?

The first things to upgrade on a bike are the wheels, then the drive train, nothing wrong with 2010, Slx 9spd and it ill be a lot cheaper..

In fairness it depends on what the bikes spec is, some bikes have good wheels and a not so good groupset.

Id totally agree with holyboy, your mate is mental upgrading that bike. Sell it and buy a decent frame or bike.

Advertisement