Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Economic

• 19-05-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what Economics is like for the Leaving Cert? Is it easy going, ok, hard etc. And what's the difference between higher and ordinary level? Is there a big gap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Economics is good :) the course is short, but its a lot of learning :O :) buts its managable :) its split into micro and macro! Micro is all definitions, graphs and learning while macro is government, the economy, trade etc :) its really interesting subject though and i'm delighted i picked it :) Yes there is a huge diference between ordinary and higher level ... ordinary to be honest is very easy !! I would advise you to do honours :)
    Depends on other subjects you've picked, if you've got a few practical ones, economics is brilliant :) but its still very managable nonetheless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

How much does this tie in with Business and Accounting?

I'm going to teach myself Economics for my Leaving Cert because I want 600 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Desire. wrote: »
    I'm going to teach myself Economics for my Leaving Cert because I want 600 points.

Everybody wants 600 points. It's a lot easier said then done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

NotExactly wrote: »
    Everybody wants 600 points. It's a lot easier said then done.

I know, but there's no harm in aiming high.

Desire. wrote: »
    How much does this tie in with Business and Accounting?

it ties in a fair bit with business :) i take both economics and business and i think doing both help :) em i'm not sure about accounting though to be honest :( I think you could do well doing economics but be careful taking on an extra subject puts extra pressure on you :( i know i took an 8th subject and had to give it up :( its your choice though, you really need to be motivated aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I do Economics and Accounting and they have NOTHING familiar yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

Leaving cert economics is a very hard A1. The people I know who sat Economics last year found the exam extraordinarily hard, however 2011 was a particularly tough year.
    I definitely wouldn't count on anything over a B3 self teaching yourself the course. Especially since you're starting so late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm currently sitting economics and Business does help as both are quite identical in some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'm currently sitting economics and Business does help as both are quite identical in some parts.

You think? I'm in fifth year so only really at the beginning, and can't really find any similarities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

David086 wrote:
    You think? I'm in fifth year so only really at the beginning, and can't really find any similarities.
    In Mirco there wouldn't be any similarties but in Marco there will be in some small parts.

• Advertisement

David086 wrote: »
    Yeah in last few units in business, economics comes in a lot :)
    and it really helps you in business because you understand economic terms better and can throw in terms in economics in your business - added bonus like it will bring up your marks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

I did economics, business and accounting for the LC last year (business outside of school). There's not many similarities between business and economics, nothing substantial anyway and tbh accounting has absolutely no similarities with either subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭John Sugrue

I always say Economics is a fairly easy subject to get a very good mark in but an extremely difficult one to get an outstanding mark in (i.e. A1). It's a fantastic subject though. Best kept secret of the LC.

Advertisement