Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to HL maths?

• 19-05-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So im in 4th year now doing ordianry level maths but i've been looking at college courses and a lot of them require higher level maths. How plausible would it be for me to switch to higher level at the beginning of fifth year and get at least a HC3?. Im doing well in ordinary maths usualy getting A's or B's in tests' and I also usually get around the same grades in higher level physics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I take it by 4th year you mean the first year of the Leaving Cert course and not TY?

It would depend on the topics that the Higher Level Class have covered, and how much of them overlap with what you have done. It will take a lot of hard work but if you got a good A or B in the Junior Cert you should be capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nbrady95

Yeah im in the first year of the leaving cert course and i got an A in the junior cert.

I'd say go for it..!

Did you drop from Higher or start out in Ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nbrady95

I started out in ordinary level which i regret now :(. I'm gonna go for it hopefully the teacher will at least let me try :D

Sort it out before the summer so you can get a good hold on what the Higher class has already covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Of Course you can. You have 2 full years to begin with.

Just be prepared to put in a lot of extra work. Ordinary level maths is nothing compared to Higher level. Ordinary Level means simply doing the exam papers (Which never change) and then doing the questions in the Leaving Cert.

Higher Level maths not only requires you to do questions but also to understand them.

Best of luck, but look forward to quite a bit of hard work.

Advertisement