Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C#

Options
  • 19-05-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi,

As evidenced by my previous thread, I am having difficulty with libraries. I am trying to use an implementation of the MODBUS protocol. Ive now come across nModbus, witten in C# and I was thinking of using this instead of the C/C++ freeModbus library.

Could anyone tell me, is C# suitable for running programs as a windows service? Google suggests so, I am not very familiar with the concept yet.

Is it propritary? The primary IDE seems to be visual studio, not free of course. Would something like this suit my needs or is VS way ahead of everything else? Recommendations? Is VSexpress bad?

Do I need .NET for it? does this depend on the library I am using? or does that simply increase functionality?

Will programs developed in C# run on/can be compiled for linux?

Thanks for any help you can provide, much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Yes you can use C# to write Windows services. There's a great library called Topshelf that will help you with that too.

Visual Studio Express is grand. Less features, but none of them will matter when you start out, if ever.

You need the .Net framework, yes. Everything written in C# will need the .Net framework.

You can use Mono to compile and run C# .Net apps on Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Thanks fasty, extremely helpful! :)

Advertisement