Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC router gone crazy?

• 19-05-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'd an issue a while back being unable to connect to our UPC Cisco router. Turned out (as correctly diagnosed by the genuises on here :) ) that it was wireless interference.

When I went into the router when connected by network cable and manually set it to channel 7 (tested every channel), everything was fine.

To stop confusion (lots of similar named wireless networks around us) I also renamed the network from the UPC default.

We have an (apparent) issue with our broadband dropping intermittently. And I noticed that when we have a bad night with drop outs, the modem resets itself back to defaults.

ie. I've got to go back into it, manually set the wireless channel and SSID.

Now today there's something new. The router has all the lights on. And I connect no problem via network cable BUT the wireless network isn't visible (either under the new name I chose or the old default name) and I can't log into the bloody thing!

It's not accepting my username or password.

Any suggestions.:confused:
    thanks
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Will it select the default username and password?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

There should be a pin hole around the back this is the reset button.

Stick a pin in to reset the device fully.

If you still having a problem after that you may have a faulty unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I don't think its the router, I have been getting this all day, but only since I "upgraded" from 20 - 25MB package, wondering what it is, and I arrived at this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ranicand wrote: »
    There should be a pin hole around the back this is the reset button.

Stick a pin in to reset the device fully.

If you still having a problem after that you may have a faulty unit.

Hi Ranicand,

That worked. Stuck a pin in and was then able to get into settings.

Only when I changed the router to channel 7 was I then able to 'see' its SSID via airport.

I wonder what's causing this?

Thanks,
    Quad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Mines bad today too. I would only notice really noticed when playing online. Connection was bad.
    1303495338.png

I then reset it and it looks better.

1303512990.png

On 20mb

I have the same problem with the router deleting all the saved setting.

• Advertisement

Jet Black wrote: »
    I have the same problem with the router deleting all the saved setting.

Anyone know why that happens?

Is it a new thing? Is it indicative of a particular fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

quad_red wrote: »
    Anyone know why that happens?

Is it a new thing? Is it indicative of a particular fault?

It's possible the routers just all got a software update that also caused their saved settings to be reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

quad_red wrote: »
    Only when I changed the router to channel 7 was I then able to 'see' its SSID via airport.

I wonder what's causing this?
    it might be that there's extra people in your street getting new broadband and they're causing more wireless interference.

if you download inSSIDer you will be able to see a graphical view of what other wireless networks are around you and which ones are on overlapping channels so you can better avoid ending up with other wifi stopping you accessing your own.

i've had the same thing about 5 or 6 times now since i moved into my current house 6 years ago as more and more people get broadband in and the installers don't bother to check what channels are already in use when they set them up.

i've actually recently got a dual band router and have ordered a dual band wifi card for the one device on my LAN that needs it as i'm fed up of having to constantly change channels to find a stable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fran1978

Mine just went last night.Kept getting signed out of psn the last two nights.Had to go through the network settings on psn to get it to work again.

Then it just went fully,tried reseting my router but no joy,just getting a flashing light now ): Phone wont work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

i have a similar prob,any time i log off my laptop and turn it on again i must manually reset the wireless router in order to get the internet back...any ideas whats wrong??

• Advertisement

I think there are two separate issues here.

1) Wireless interference. This is a pain in the ass but isn't UPCs fault.

2) Modem/router resetting after every outage requiring the router to be reset again and the wireless settings reset.

Why would the router/modem continually lose it's saved settings?

Advertisement