Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing passport?

Options
  • 19-05-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's somehow possible to renew a Swedish passport while in Ireland? Surely it must be possible somehow, i.e. if your passport expires while you live here (mine is expiring very soon and I can't afford the travel back to Sweden).

Anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Now that the embassy is gone, maybe not so easy? But I know the Norwegian embassy issues passports in Dublin.

Contact the Swedish Consulate?

Irland, Dublin
    Hon. generalkonsul:
    Paul Keane
    Assistent:
    Maeve Walsh
    Konsulat:
    Sveriges generalkonsulat
    Postadress:
    Reddy Charlton McKnight, Solicitors
    12 Fitzwilliam Place
    Dublin 2
    Ireland
    Adress:
    Reddy Charlton McKnight, Solicitors
    12 Fitzwilliam Place
    Dublin 2
    Telefon:
    +353 (0)1-265 08 88
    Fax:
    +353 (0)1-678 91 92
    E-post:
    consul.sweden.dublin@rcmck.com , mwalsh@rcmck.com
    Övrig information
    Expeditionstider: Vardagar 11.00-13.00

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Cheers, just sent them an email!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Let us know how you get on, it would be useful to know the outcome.

This is what they said:
    Dear Mathias

Unfortunately, you cannot apply for a full Swedish Passport in Ireland. If your passport has not expired you need to travel to the Swedish Embassy in London or to Sweden to apply for a full passport. If the passport is not ready before you leave London or Sweden you can have it delivered to the Swedish Consulate Dublin, Cork, Galway or Limerick. Please insert your email address in the Application Form and the Foreign Ministry (KSS) in Stockholm will send you an email to see which Consulate you want it delivered to.

If your passport has already expired or been lost or stolen you may require an emergency passport to travel to apply for a full passport. You can make such an application at this Consulate. Once you confirm by email that you need an emergency passport I will send you a checklist of your requirements to make the application.

Yours sincerely
    Another reply:
    You make the application at the Embassy or Police station in person and fill out the form while you are there. You should contact whichever one you are going to in advance to see what they require and, if going to London, you definitely need to make an appointment as they are hectic at the moment.
    So I've sent an email to the Swedish passport place, explaining that I can go there to renew the passport, but will have to travel back and pick up the passport in Dublin. So far no reponse from .se .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So in short, you can get an emergency passport issued by Dublin and use this to travel to London or Sweden to renew it.
    If I was you I'd get over to UK pronto and renew it. It'll be more expensive in London but at least it saves you time and money on Sweden flights.

The emergency passport is pink :D

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    So in short, you can get an emergency passport issued by Dublin and use this to travel to London or Sweden to renew it.
    If I was you I'd get over to UK pronto and renew it. It'll be more expensive in London but at least it saves you time and money on Sweden flights.

The emergency passport is pink :D

I just got back from Sweden actually (tiny vacation) and renewed the passport there for 400 SEK or €44.50 . I told them to ship it to Dublin, gave them my email address, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great let us know how you get on in case someone else needs to renew as well.

Advertisement