Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stateside in Letterkenny

Options
  • 19-05-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Anyone been?

Thinking of trying this next week sometime, heard mixed reports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I heard nothing but good things so far and they constantly booked out so seem to be doing very well.Plan on going some time soon myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I've heard its like eddie rockets, in every way but name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Tried going one sunday, told by staff that there was a half an hour waiting time for seat, told by someone leaving that they'd been waiting for food for 45 mins.. decided I was too hungry an left.
    From talking to ppl who've been there since, it's not all that impressive, cold, an kids hot dog was a sausage in a bap...

On plus side Free refills of coke etc

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

I was there yesterday evening.

Food was ok, nothing special that you wouldnt have got elewhere.
    Portion size was ok.

Was it expensive... well 11.50 for a burger - you tell me ? :rolleyes:
    I didnt like the basket the food came it.

Atmosphere - it would have deafened you with the noise, lots of kids in the place. Decor was nice enough, a bit like an American Sports bar feel to it.
    Service was also fine.

Would I go back ? Good Question.. I will have a think about that one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Been there once, daytime during the week so it wasn't too busy. Got burger and chips, didn't like the burger and the chips are th really skinny ones :mad: I hate paying good money for crappy mcdonalds chips. On the upside the free refills are great, service was good, quick and plesent but not sure if I'll be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

4 of us went for a meal there last Saturday evening. Had 3 courses each and the bill came to 105. The quality of the food definitely did not match up to the bill. It is a nice cafe, but they are pricing themselves as a classier restaurant. I dont think I'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

went there on saturday with my mam, had a main course each (philly cheese steak sandwich - yum!!!), a coffee and a diet coke, bill was less than 25euro, i thought it was quite a good price!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Where's is this place?

In the Riverside?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

The staff were efficient and the food did not take long to be cooked. However, the menu seems to have been drastically cut in comparison to the one available on the internet. I ordered a Philly steak sandwich which was very reasonably priced at €7+ although the presentation was disappointing and the food could only be described at best as adequate but tasteless. The handful of 'skinny fries' along with it smelled and tasted of cheap cooking oil that needed to be changed. My lunch companion ordered a burger which while it looked nice, tasted unremarkable and at €10.75 was grossly overpriced considering it was served on a red plastic basket-type container which looked like a mini clothes-peg holder. It also came with a handful of the nasty oil smelling fries. Along with the food we had one lemon tea, one milkshake (unremarkable) and one coffee. Price €25.30

I think that I will stick to the Station House/Ramada in future for the pepper steak sandwich! The food is of a much higher standard and always beautifully presented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bellarose

Have been there twice in recents weeks and the menu choice has definitely shrunk. The service was hit and miss, all over us the first visit, which I hate and just so so the second as they forgot part of the order. Took ages for the food to arrive and was it did, it was just ok nothing amazing. Portion sizes are small for the prices they are charging. I expect proper tableware not plastic baskets and glasses. We were offered the bill in the middle of dessert and were nor encouraged to linger once the meal was finished. It felt like a conveyor belt , get them in and out as fast as possible. Not sure what level they are pitched at...fancy fast food outlet or restaurant? Don't think they know themselves.

Would I go back .....no!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Went today around 3.30pm and wasn't packed, ordered buffalo wings for starters to share with my wife, they were delicious. Wife ordered a Rib-eye steak and sweet potato fries, I ordered the Texas burger with skinny fries (there was a choice, skinny,chunky or sweet potato)( choice of burger size, 1/4lb or 1/2lb for €1.50 extra) and a chocolate milkshake
    I found the food fantastic for what it was, the portions were ample, and couldn't fault the length of time or the staff.
    It all came to €36.50 and was very impressed with that, left a tip, and went on our ways, stuffed to the gills
    I say fair dues for someone to open this type of restaurant, it makes a great change to the run of the mill, boring 'chips with everything, piled high' type restaurant, and will most definitely be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Either the menu changed or I'm blind as a bat, skinny fries were the only option when I was there, seriously need rid of the plastic baskets aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

We ate there a few days after it opened, it was jam packed but we got a table straight away, numerous people arrived after us and were told 30-40minutes wait for a table (we were seated right at front door so could hear)

Both myself and my wife had burger/chips and a drink. I was not impressed with the plastic baskets nor the small portion of skinny chips. I didnt realise that drinks top ups were free, however the 36euro bill ensured that we wouldnt be going back again. The food was fine, perfectly cooked and tasted good, but at the end of the day it was a €3 burger and €1 portion of chips we were served in plastic baskets.

One thing that i did notice they didnt have was malt shakes...i assumed an american diner would most definitely sell them...obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Was in there one Saturday evening a few weeks ago. It was relatively busy, but we were seated right away.

Service was quick and polite.

I thought the food was superb...I got a burger with skinny fries, and thought the portion size was perfect. It was a big, packed burger which came in a basket with lots of fries. I couldn't finish it all.

All for €10.95 I think it was.

Go to Dominos, and a small pizza would be €8. Stateside was much more filling + it was comfy with good decor.

Will I be back? Definately.

Great to see another option added to the choice of resturants / chippers / pizza that's in the town already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 loulou777

My 3 friends and I went there a few weeks ago, got seated right away all good the waitress came to take our order, we ordered but we then asked could we get a portion of garlic bread first she said she she wasnt sure and would ask the chef but did not return with an answer we assumed there were none. 45 minutes later she arrived out with 4 portions of garlic bread we told her this is not what we ordered "she said it was fine we would only be charged for one and sure more is always better" we then asked for the bill and she had charged us for 4 portions of garlic bread at a shocking €6.95 EACH we queried it and she said the chef is making her charge us for it and would not listen to us that we didnt order it, it was her mistake it cost us €27.80 for garlic bread that we did not order!
    WE WILL NEVER BE BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I cant believe you paid for it:eek: Its a mistake and mistakes happen everywhere, but its not your fault.
    Always a bad sign when the chef is making the decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

chef = owner?

(Ive never been there btw)

chef = owner?

(Ive never been there btw)

Never thought of that, no idea who owns it. Never been there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would have walked into the kitchen and lamped the chef

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

retalivity wrote: »
    I would have walked into the kitchen and lamped the chef

And then you'd be in court charged with assault :pac:

And then you'd be in court charged with a salt and batter :pac:

FYP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

was in there at the weekend, must say I really enjoyed the meal and everyone in our party did too. Service was excellent and friendly, and the food was excellent. All said they would go back again as would i.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HellieD

I've been once, and wasn't overly impressed, it was early evening there was only two other tables, staff were nice and friendly as we arrived and when taking our order, but after that very unattentive, there may be free refills but nobody once came to the table to ask it we needed anything, we asked for chunky chips instead of skinny fries, but still got skinny fries, told we would have to wait for 10 mins for chunky fries so we stuck with the skinny ones, kids were ravenous, food was nice enough, and probably would be more inclined to go back if they service had have been better, seems to be a very hit and miss establishment from reports from friends too!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Well after almost 6 months since my original post I finally got time to try Stateside.

First impressions were it was styling itself on a cross between Springsteen's in Belfast and TGI Fridays. The setting is similar but the menu is nowhere near as comprehensive as any of the other two.

Down to the nitty gritty,

We had just stuffed ourselves with popcorn and sweets in the cinema so we went for main courses only.

Philli Cheese steak, as mentioned on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71022007 you just dont get a cheesesteak outside of Philli, but I keep trying them everywhere I go.
    This was more than ok, only bad thing I have to say about it was the beef was slightly over done but then again I should have requested it done on the rare side. Full Baguette size stuffed with beef, onions, mushroom and cheese. definitely one of the better imitations that I have tried.

Home made Tacos,
    Amazing, cooked to perfection, not to spicy but had a really great afterkick, served with good sized green salad and a good helping of coleslaw and two dips. Ordered the chunky fries with this and they were delicious.

Kids meals,
    My 14 year old girl does like her steak but she never usually finishes it, she was delighted to find a mini steak on the kids menu, although the kids menu is for 12 and under the nice lady dressed as Supergirl let her have it, she wasn't asked how she wanted it done but it came out as medium, just the way she likes it.
    Brat number two had the kids sausages, two over sized sausages served with choice of chips, all devoured in a matter of minutes.

Three soft drinks and a beer were added, no less than three times were we approached and asked if wanted the soft drinks topped up. I availed the first time of offering and was asked again twice.

The staff were really friendly, there were three girls on the floor and all three asked us if there was anything else they could do for us.

bill
    1x coke 2.50
    1x fanta 2.50
    1 kids fanta no charge
    1x bottle of miller 4.30
    tacos 9.95
    cheesesteak 8.95
    mini steak 6.95
    kids sausages 5.95

total €41.10

On leaving my girls were told to help themselves to sweets and a toffee apple, don't expect this any other day :)

Worth every cent and I will be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It may have been rumour but i heard very recently that Stateside is closing soon??

CJC999 wrote: »
    It may have been rumour but i heard very recently that Stateside is closing soon??

I wouldn't think so as they have just finished an extensive renovation as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Did you drive home after the bottle of Miller taking into account the new lower drink drive limits?!

yourpics wrote: »
    Did you drive home after the bottle of Miller taking into account the new lower drink drive limits?!

And that is your business because?

keep to the topic please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

yourpics wrote: »

I did drive home, if you reread the post again I said where I availed of the free top up of the soft drink,

Mods, sorry for going off topic again

Advertisement