Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jrt's & digging!!

• 19-05-2011 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi have two jrt's with me at the moment -one is a foster. Now the little feckers have seemed over the past week to have taken a fondness to digging craters in the back yard,i mean i think they're trying to escape down to austrailia the holes are so deep:rolleyes:

I've caught them in the act,and told them off several times just seems like they cant help themselves.

So, i was thinking of getting a dog run on the patio area of the garden to try save the grass!! and maybe getting a sand pit or something to allow them dig in this.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

they get destructive through boredom and they have lots of energy,if you could take them on a long walk ,at least an hour long every day(i know its not always possible) it should help.i know what its like i have two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

They are Terriers, its in their genetics. Terrier comes from the word terra which means earth(soil) and they where originally used to catch rodents, its like saying "help, my retriever keeps bringing his ball back to me" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Sandpit is a great idea. You can hide toys and tasty treats in it. Should keep them occupied. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sand pit is a great idea, make sure they see you burying stuff so they know where to dig.

As said, digging is in the JRT's nature. They dig to uncover rodents. If they're exercised enough and not hungry, they'll likely do it less, but it's part of their hunting behaviour and they do it for fun, so they'll always do it to some degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

hi thanks for replies. I know terriers love digging but was just looking to see have any one used the sand pitt idea?!

they get two walks a day both 40min power walks plus play time and regular doggie play dates so they're not bored just as many of you say they just love digging!

I dont really mind only the garden is getting dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What I found when my dogs were pup's and started digging is put some of their poo's in the hole and back fill it with clay. They will do it to a new spot but keep repeating it and they will learn.

With the sand pit, maybe buy some kong's, put their breakfast into them and bury it in the sand. They will dig to get the reward. Maybe go and buy some postman legs or bones from butcher and bury them in the pit.

Advertisement