Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to fishing,which rod?.

• 19-05-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭

Fishing newbie here I have a trout rod and reel.
    Am looking for a good rod and reel for spinning and dead bate for pike/salmon.
    Any places in Ireland or online where I could get a good deal?,any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi,

Had you a budget in mind. As you can imagine if I said good rod and reel I might mean 500 euro, the guy next to me might mean a 100 euro!!

You will get a very nice spinning rod 10ft or 11ft with a lietime warranty for less than 100 euro and you could pay 50 - 100 for a good reel. But as I say it all depends. The next jump up would be 150 - 200 and the reel seat would be better, more than likely aluminium and the cork a higher quality.

So if you can try and pin yourself to a budget cause there are literally hundreds of rods and reels to choose from. I can give you info on what I stock personally and these would be available in loads of tackle shops all over the country. Ill give what ever info I can without it meaning Im advertising as its against board rules.

Regards,

Eoghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Hi eoghan thanks for the reply,I suppose as a newbie to fishing I would be going for sumthing along the line of €100 for reel and rod.
    can you pm me some info on your fishing gear cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

bassy wrote: »
    Hi eoghan thanks for the reply,I suppose as a newbie to fishing I would be going for sumthing along the line of €100 for reel and rod.

I guess you will have problems finding rod for dead bait (rather strong carp type) and spinning (i mean it depends on spinning type as 2 different things are using small spinner and dead roach). Some sort of balance will be strong spinning ( max casting weight around 60-80g) and 4000 reel.
    I would rather go for good rod and cheap reel than compromise both.
    I have penn 2XS spinn (bought for around 75e in Cork Dublin prices over 100e) 30-60g and it works fairly ok even for short range dead baiting.
    From cheapier ones you could try to use a mitchell universe ( i had it only for couple of days - won it somewhere, but guess it should do and they were around 50e AFAIR). Most of spinning reels in 50e budget should do the job for at least 1-2 years. (i had 2 reels from lidl - cheap plastic ones were 7e or so and it took mi 2 years sea use to destroy them).

another option may be to look at sales in some internet shops (with little research i just found few good looking abu garcia spinning rods for under 30e + dead bait wychwood combo for 90e - you would be only slightly above budget of 100e.

Advertisement