Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castelgarden 16.5hp hydrostatic belt problems

Options
  • 19-05-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

The transmission belt on my 6 month old mower came off its pulley this evening and jammed itself between the pulley and the chassis. I managed to free it and re-seat it but 5 minutes later it came off again, at the rear this time. Obviously, there's too much slack in the belt but isn't there supposed to be some kind of tensioner on it?

Any ideas how to fix it or is a new one required? How do I fit this belt as it appears to run through two metal loops which looks like this would mean the belt has to be cut but that can't be right???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

at 6 months I'd be looking for a warranty fix by the supplier..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My guess is he says its a "wear and tear" item and so I have to pay to get it fixed. Thing is, I'm pretty sure this belt had too much slack in it from day one as I could hear it slipping on a slight incline in my garden. I would have thought there was a tensioner on the belt as these belts all loosen up a little with use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I have a Castlegarden manual mower and there is a tensioner pully on the drive belt, it's spring loaded to keep tight and take up slack..

I know the pulley you're talking about as I manually closed it yesterday to create the slack I needed to reseat the drive belt when it came off last night. It appears to be working ok but then again, why is the belt slipping off????

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lykke

Hi Dave ,

Had a similar problem no power or when the blades were engaged , lot of slippage in the belts , If you take off the inspection plate under your left foot , there is a tension adjustment ,

Hope this helps

Lykke

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for that. Will take a look this evening when I get home.

I fixed the belt back on the pulleys and it lasted about 5 minutes before it came off again. I called the supplier and he called out to collect it and said he'd have it back next day. 5 days later no word from him so we called him and he said he'd drop it back the next day which he did. He assured my wife that he'd fixed it and also that he had run the mower for 30 minues and all was well.

I took it out on Saturday to cut our now long grass and the damn belt came off after one minute of cutting. I rang the supplier and he said he'd call round and collect it but no sign of him. He looks like a lost cause.

The mower was bought new last September and has only been used about 10 - 12 times on our 3/4 acre lawn so its not a case of it suffering from excessive wear and tear. Our neighbours either side have the same model and they have had no problems with theirs. However are these Castelgarden hydrostatics prone to their belts coming off?

Advertisement