Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for a Week?

• 19-05-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

A bit of a problem that I'm hoping the more communications savy of you will be able to shed some light on. We have wireless broadband in the house I live in. Now some of the others in the house have been using torrent clients to download music etc. Normally I'll be honest I wouldn't take any notice of this but it seems Eircom aren't so blaise and are serious about clamping down as we were informed today that our connection is to be suspended for a week. So lesson learned: stay away from the torrent clients! But the serious issue is that essentially two of us do a lot of work from home so it's a more than a slight inconvenience to not have access for said week.

Are there any options out there whereby we could connect another way during the intermittent time that the Eircom connection will be off? I was thinking some sort of mobile broadband but I really wouldn't be sure on how realistic that is viz. having to sign a contract for a certain length of time etc.

It's not the end of the world if we can't as I suppose he and I could use internet cafes and whatnot it's just it's very inconvenient and expensive when we need to be going online at least a couple of times a day!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Those dongles are cheap enough.
    Check adverts.ie for one. Throw €20 into it and you're sorted for a month.
    No contract needed.

I think the Vodafone one does €20 for a month anyway. Not sure about the others.
    I think the usage limit is only 10GB, but that's more than enough to keep you going for work.

As for your housemates, tell them to use youtube and get a free flv to mp3 converter.

Advertisement