Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Hilly Holiday Suggestions

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi all,
    so I've managed to convince the OH that a weeks holiday in the south of France with bikes would be a great way to spend a week, but now I need to come up with more specific details.
    I'd like to do some of the big TdF climbs but the OH wants to spend a day or two by the sea.
    Does anybody have any suggestions on what places might be suitable? We're on a tightish budget but we're fairly open minded provided we can get TdF hills and a bit of sea. We don't mind moving about a bit, camping, cycle touring, car rental etc.
    Any comments, suggestions, experiences greatly appreciated.

M_B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Went to Nice 2 years ago. Didn't do any cycling there although the Madone is nearby.
    Got the train north to Avignon and stayed in a lovely little village here
    Did 4 days there and 4 days relaxing in Nice. Nice mix of a trip.
    Renting a car would open up a lot of options to you. Train limits travel options a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I usually fly out of Nice when I've been in the Alps, usually I climb but I have done a week cycling in Bourg d'Oisans which is a TDF stage mecca. Nice is a great place to chill out and relax after spending time in the mountains if you're willing to endure the journey! Trains and buses are remarkably bike friendly in France though. Going back to Bourg d'Oisans again this year actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Both seem like really good options. I'm particularly taken by Bourg d'Oisans ... will have to investigate further!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Go to the Pyrenees and check out Velopeloton.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Both seem like really good options. I'm particularly taken by Bourg d'Oisans ... will have to investigate further!

Bourg is fantastic, and lovely for cycling, but unless your other half likes driving, there's not a huge amount of beach, or even a lot do do round there (it's a small town and not a lot going on, so she may be a little bored)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

The French basque country. On the foothills by the sea. Looks like Wicklow is more dramatic and you are near enough bigger climbs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Thanks for all the replies.
    Bourg is fantastic, and lovely for cycling, but unless your other half likes driving, there's not a huge amount of beach, or even a lot do do round there (it's a small town and not a lot going on, so she may be a little bored)
    She does a good bit of cycling herself, so she's up for doing some of the climbs ... but alternative stuff for doing is important.
    The French basque country. On the foothills by the sea. Looks like Wicklow is more dramatic and you are near enough bigger climbs too.
    Interesting suggestion, I'll check it out.

Interesting suggestion, I'll check it out.

Biarritz, Saint-Jean de Luz, Hendaye for the towns along the coast, near Spain. A few cols out there along the coast as well as more inland. Quite cycling friendly too.

I go there every year with the bike (mum lives there).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

+1 on Caroline's suggestion. Base yourself around Bidart and St Jean de Luz and lots of interesting hills close to you. Plan a day trip to Argeles Gazost just south of Lourdes and take in the Tourmalet Aubisque and Soulor climbs

Beat me to it Caroline!

sy wrote: »
    +1 on Caroline's suggestion. Base yourself around Bidart and St Jean de Luz and lots of interesting hills close to you. Plan a day trip to Argeles Gazost just south of Lourdes and take in the Tourmalet Aubisque and Soulor climbs
    We did this his year actually and went up the Soulor ( Aubisque was closed), it wasn't too far a drive on the motorway.

• Advertisement

Argeles is only 1.5 hrs from Biarritz so it is no journey.

The best of both worlds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

kilns wrote: »
    Argeles is only 1.5 hrs from Biarritz so it is no journey.

The best of both worlds!

Nice town. Very close to Hautacam also.
    Also there is a spectacular cycle nearby that goes from Argeles to Ger-Juncalas-Ossun. Lumpy as opposed to mountainous. Georgous back roads through a forest.

Cityjet have started to fly to Pau from Dublin now also, which is another alternative to getting to the area. First bag is free (including equipment).

I have booked my flights already for the Tour and its is €103 return all in!

kilns wrote: »
    Cityjet have started to fly to Pau from Dublin now also, which is another alternative to getting to the area. First bag is free (including equipment).

I have booked my flights already for the Tour and its is €103 return all in!

is there a weight limit of equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

is there a weight limit of equipment?

From their website 23kg is the checked baggage limit plus you are also allowed 12kg carry on baggage and referring to bikes
    A bike should be properly packed and is considered as 1 piece of 158 cm regardless the actual size. Bikes are included in the free baggage allowance. When exceeding the free allowance the normal excess baggage charge applies: 55€ per bike as 2nd piece, 200€ per bike as 3rd/4th piece.

Seems like a good deal you should be able to pack bike, shoes, helmet and tools easily for 23kg and carry all cycling clothes in your carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emilymartin

Hi there, my mother has a holiday house in Mons en Provence, she rents it out in the summer. It sleeps 6 people. Loads of Mountain biking and cycling in the area and only 50 mins from the sea. I don't think she rents is out for much, you can contact her via www.holiday-provence.com
    I hope this helps. Have a nice holiday. Emily

Advertisement