Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing one subject in the leaving cert

• 19-05-2011 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Although I am planning on doing Science in college next year I have this idea in my head that I would love to do higher level Irish. I'm doing ordinary level this year havibg choosen to do so to focus on higher level maths.

I have heard of people doing just one subject but I'm jsut wondering where I could find information. If anyone could enlighten me or send me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Apolgies if I am not very active on here as I'm knuckling down these days.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just apply as an external candidate through http://www.examinations.ie
    The closing date for entries is usually end of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

One question - why do you want to do higher level Irish?

Is it that you need the qualification for something, say teaching, or is it just that you'd like to 'have' Irish?
    If it's the latter then I wouldn't bother with a Leaving Cert. exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hkeane

I'm plannig to keep up my Irish and need something to aim for to start me on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

hkeane wrote: »
    I'm plannig to keep up my Irish and need something to aim for to start me on the road.

Some colleges offer a diploma in Irish that you can do alongside your own course. It lasts 2 years, and is usually made up of evening classes and exams once per semester. I'm not sure of the standard of Irish you need to do it, but this is the link for the NUIG one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

With all due respect, LC Irish isn't going to improve or require you to improve your Irish any great deal. Reading crappy novels and learning off questions and phrases to write set answers about poetry and essays isn't going to increase your gra for the language.

Re: the diploma in NUIG, I've done it, and was thoroughly unimpressed. Granted, I enrolled the first year it came in, so perhaps it has changed, but it seemed to me to be almost entirely grammar-focused, which is not the way to learn a language.

And no, I don't have any positive suggestions :)
    Other than perhaps to speak the language to people - I am always surprised at how many people actually have the cupla focal, including those who claim to have no Irish whatsoever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement