Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Entry Requirements

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I was thinking about possibly going for a career change and would like to do Occupational Therapy in UCC in 2012. I did my leaving Cert in 2000 and got alright results for what I wanted to do. I went on to get a fetac level 6 in advanced culinary arts. Iv been working as a chef for 7 years.
    I dont meet the minimum requirments for the course. This is what they are looking for
    Minimum requirements:
    Applicants must be 23 by January 1st of the year they hope to enter UCC or hold a degree or its equivalent by the
    normal closing date for CAO applications;
    and have achieved a minimum HC3 in a Laboratory Science subject in
    the Leaving Certificate, or equivalent by the time of commencement of the course. (Most students will find that
    having Biology at Leaving Certificate level [or equivalent] will be advantageous in their subsequent Occupational
    Therapy studies.)
    I did pass physics in leaving cert. Anyone have any advice on what to do to make up for this? I saw a course at Portobello for Occupational Therapy assistant, but it is over €4500! I also saw this distance course
    http://www.cmit.ie/courses-psychology-health-distance-learning/fetac-mental-health-distance-learning-certificate-level-6.html
    Anyway I would really appreciate any info/advice Please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Does it have to be in UCC? As TCD offer a course in OT and take on a number of mature students every year.

If you are set on doing it in Cork you could find out about doing Biology as a stand alone subject in the leaving next year?

I found UCC quite strict on applications as a mature student. Maybe contact the college themselves and see if they can offer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Thanks very much Larianne!
    Just had a scout there for LC biology, looks quite daunting!
    I hadnt thought about leaving Cork, but never say never I suppose!
    I think I will ring the admissions and see what they say. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Your leaving cert results shouldnt count if your a mature student. They would only interview you as far as im aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

pieface_ie wrote: »
    Your leaving cert results shouldnt count if your a mature student. They would only interview you as far as im aware.

Unfortunately, for UCC they seem to! I applied for Pharmacy there thinking my Chemistry grade from the access to science course I did would be enough but they wanted Higher chemistry from the L.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

Yes, unfortunately they don't waive the lab science requirement for Mature Students for OT.
    Have you looked into doing LC Biology in College of Comm or anywhere like that? http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/courseday.cfm?d=1&c=17
    Or what about kilroys College? http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course.php?courseid=53
    Personally, I think LC Biology has a lot of irrelevant material for OT purposes such as plant biology and ecology. I'd look more into the EQUIVALENT and maybe consider something like FETAC Anatomy & Physiology and Human Growth & Development or FETAC Biology. Or even consider doing an entire FETAC Cert. There are plenty of PLC colleges around Cork that offer these types of courses both full-time and part-time, morning or evening. You'd be sure to find something, but make sure the college would accept this first.
    Your cmit link would be a good relevant subject for OT but be aware it's just a Component module not a full cert, for that price you could probably do a full cert in a college.
    The Mature Students Officer in UCC can also be of assistance to you.
    Good Luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Oh wonderful! I get so excited when I see maturies interested in OT! Such a perfect career for someone who's lived a little :D

Sounds like UCC is much stricter than TCD! I'm surprised to hear the LC having a bearing on an application, i mean if you did the LC 20 years ago surely that would be irrelevant?

I think Nelly2 offers excellent advice, a more specfic anatomy and biology or anatomy & physiology course would be much more relevant, and helpful for OT, but definitely talk to the course co-ordinator and see if they would look favourably on it. Have you actually talked to someone? This might be "preferrable" rather than essential.

FOr TCD, at least 1 of the matures in my class had not done any form of fetac, continuing education, third level etc, but the other 7 had. TCD viewed it relevant that you have shown a recent ability to learn and study, regardless of what area it was in, e.g. one girl had done an arts degree by night.

If you decide to consider TCD, i'd be happy to talk you through it , or provide any information I can. Good luck with it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

I just wanted to say thanks to all for advice! LC biology sounded like an awful prospect, I remember doing my LC all those years ago and the wait for results and the prospect that i may not get the required grade....eek. The suggestions were brilliant. I am going to write up a list of possibles and bring them to the coordinator and see what happens from there.
    Thanks again everyone!

Advertisement