Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomato disease help!!!

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I hope someone here might be able to help me with a problem I have with my tomato plants. I currently have 15 plants which I started off in early February. I have been growing these in a polytunnel tunnel and they seemed to be doing really well until two weeks ago. The lower leaves of the plants have curled upwards and are very brittle and easy to tear little paper. The new growth on the plant is dropping. They seem to have stopped growing any higher and I am really worried they are going to die after all the work I put in.When I first noticed the problem I taught large temperature fluctuations from day to day inside the polytunnel might be to blame but now I am worried it is something much worse. I have attached some pics so you might get a better idea what I am talking about.Any ideas what the problem might me? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

the reason the new growth is curling down is due to a lack of drainage and feed/too much nitrogen in the soil...the curling will ocrrect itself over the coming weeks as you add more water..you may have over watered in recent days. the plants look healthy it has to be said..leaf roll is quite normal..as for brittle leaves im not sure..

have a look on this website..there are some very experienced people here that will help you out.

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Sedum and Sage

The plants look healthy to me too, lower leaves always seem to curl and go yellow, they should be cut off anyway to allow more air to circulate. And check to make sure the compost isn't too wet, tomatoes like to be watered regularly, not too much, not too little!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The plants look healthy to me too, lower leaves always seem to curl and go yellow, they should be cut off anyway to allow more air to circulate. And check to make sure the compost isn't too wet, tomatoes like to be watered regularly, not too much, not too little!

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

You don't cut off tomato leaves, they break when pressure is applied by hand to where the leave connects to the main stem. Usually you would only start deleafing from the seed leaves to just under the first truss when the plant has reached 5 feet in height or just remove a diseased leaf before it can spread to the main stem.

The plants in the photos look pretty healthy and the OP seems to know how to shoot a plant pretty decently. I would look at replacing the cane support with something more firm like twine connecting to a stronger support above which will then support a heavier crop.

Advertisement