Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegally obtaining contact numbers?

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone would have any knowledge in this area........

My credit card company recently contacted my mothers mobile number to try and get in contact with me. They were quite rude down the phone and obviously left my mother quite upset.
    The only reason I knew it was them was due to a voicemail that they left me soon after calling her.

Anyway, I was obviously incredibly pee'd off that they had contacted my mother... and more to the point... how they even got her number. I had already been in regular contact with them via email and and they had NO no business calling my mother looking for me.

When I called them, their response was that I obviously had called them previously from my mothers mobile.. and then went on to say that they keep a record of all numbers that people contact them from for a certain length of time.... I asked them when I had contacted them from that number only for them to tell me March............2009:eek::eek::eek: WTF?!?!?!?!?!

So,...... this brings me to my question...... Is it legal for a company to store contact numbers that you have not given them authorization to contact you on and use them to try and "track" you down when it suits them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Had they tried to contact you before they called your Mum?

I wouldn't think its uncommon,particularly for credit card companies to retain any contact numbers.

I also wouldn't think its in anyway illegal,unless you specifically told them not to contact you other than on your own mobile number.

I guess its just a sign of the times what with the amount of people falling behind on their repayments and all that for companies to keep things such as telephone numbers.

Its still not very nice to have them do something like that though.

Have you asked them what is their data protection practice or if they have something official?

Id ask them this and if they do,request they forward it to you in writing and advise them to delete all contact numbers they have aside from your own personal number.At least if you do this then you have some comeback should they pull that kind of crap again.

Advertisement