Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Fixed Line Broadband

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere but I got a call to the door this evening (in Cork if that matters) from Vodafone reps. They're offering half price on their fixed price bundles for 12 months, but apparently it can only be processed by the reps themselves, I'd imagine if you ring Vodafone and tell them that you want the deal you'd be sorted out too.

Disclaimer: I don't know for certain that it's half price on all of their bundles but the two I was quoted were half price. For €31 a month for the first 12 months you'd get 300GB download allowance, 24Mb download speed, free off-peak landline calls and 200 Vodafone mobile minutes. This increased to €62 after 12 months. Not a bad deal I have to admit. I was also told there was no installation fees and no obligation beyond the 12 months. I can't see the catch yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Where in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the only thing is to get the reps name and him to sign the deal so there is comeback afterwards. Friend had a rep who told him a few fibs and when they turned out with a large bill, they had the evidence which made VF change the bill. Otherwise, sounds like a great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 29 goalposts

I'm in Grange and they're between here and Donnybrook for the next couple of days I think.

I got the name of the person I was dealing with (haven't signed up yet...want to see if UPC will match it) so I'll definitely keep a record of everything I'm promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

goalposts wrote: »
    I haven't seen this posted elsewhere but I got a call to the door this evening (in Cork if that matters) from Vodafone reps. They're offering half price on their fixed price bundles for 12 months, but apparently it can only be processed by the reps themselves, I'd imagine if you ring Vodafone and tell them that you want the deal you'd be sorted out too.

Disclaimer: I don't know for certain that it's half price on all of their bundles but the two I was quoted were half price. For €31 a month for the first 12 months you'd get 300GB download allowance, 24Mb download speed, free off-peak landline calls and 200 Vodafone mobile minutes. This increased to €62 after 12 months. Not a bad deal I have to admit. I was also told there was no installation fees and no obligation beyond the 12 months. I can't see the catch yet!

Only that they are the worst Broadband providers!!!

Check out the vodafone forum

• Registered Users Posts: 29 goalposts

dave1982 wrote: »
    Only that they are the worst Broadband providers!!!

Check out the vodafone forum

Ay there's the rub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

never mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Elisabeth Blanctorche

I would run a mile rather than take up that offer. My broadband with them was dropping almost every day for the best part of 6 months (Which was costing me €40/month with the phone) so with the calls too I forked over the best part of €300 in that time, the refund they gave me for 6 months of crap broadband? €5.41 , yes I thought it was a mistake but apparently not. €5 for dealing with months of lies, bad service, promises it will be fixed that day, etc. An insult. I am moving to UPC the second my contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

goalposts wrote: »

I went through their site and the figures you quoted above are correct to a point. They have 4 packages to choose from ranging from €40 to €67 per month but the half price is for 1 month only.
    Save up to €99.99 in May / June

Order any of these broadband packages online before 30th June and get:

* €20 off your first bill; and
    * your first month at half price OR a free wireless modem

On a different part of the site they have this offer for reconnection:
    Reconnection Promotion up to July 2011

For selected landlines, where a reconnection order for a landline and fixed broadband bundle is placed and accepted before the 9th July 2011, a promotional discount of 50% will be applied to the monthly bundle price for the first 12 months of service. The standard monthly rental will apply thereafter. This promotion is available on selected landlines only.

I am a Vodafone customer and was logged in while viewing those offers but Id think they apply to new or returning customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Im in grange also OP. I have vodafone 24mb broadband. Im getting 10mb out of it but its stable and has NEVER failed on me in 2years.

I dont get what all the complaints are about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

No problems with vodafone here.

In fact I have always had an engineer out immediately when needed since switching to vodafone a few years ago. With eircom they came 30% of the time the rest of the time when I checked the fault status it was listed as repaired within minutes.

I am about 500m further from the exchange than the thoretical limit so *any* line issue and my dsl is down. I had 3mb profile with vodafone for two years which was pretty reliable though it had a good few crc errors. I have a 2mb connection with vodafone now which is rock solid.

Eircom called trying to entice me back a couple few months ago I said 'run a line test and tell me what profile I'd get' the reply was 1MB

So if I changed back to eircom they'd give me 1MB less for about €5 more and from experience when I reported a line fault they wouldn't bother fixing it just list it as repaired in their cosy office without bothering to call out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm an ex-Vodafone broadband customer, was with BT for years before that and only switched because Vodafone took over BTs broadband customers. As soon as I was switched over from BT to Vodafone the service went downhill, I used to be hours without broadband, poor connection speeds and anytime I rang up Vodafone they said that they were "upgrading the line" or that it was a "router problem", it was neither. The straw that broke the camels back was when I was promised a callback from a techie and a month later, after several further calls from me the call back still hadn't happened.

I moved over to UPC last December and their service has been fantastic, have a 20mb, and free calls and line rental for the same price that I was paying Vodafone for an 8mb line.

Avoid Vodafone for broadband, seriously, you don't need the grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭iwhelan

Avoid Vodafone like the plague. They messed up my connection and left me without broadband for over two months. They have the worst customer service I have ever encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I switched from Eircom about 6 months ago and I'm between minds about it. I like the cost saving and getting 3MB/s instead of 1 from Eircom, and I don't get the ultra slow clogging up at weekends. On the other hand I have to reset the modem pretty much every day as it loses internet connection or loses contact with one or both of my printers.

My advice if you are switching from Eircom is to hang on to the Eircom Netopia modem - the VF modem (HG556) looks cool but may well be the cause of my problems - the Netopia one will work fine and may be more reliable. (when you are switched over it will probably happen BEFORE their modem is delivered to you - all you do is change some settings (VF tell you what to do) on your Eircom modem.

I'm in Crosshaven and AFAIK the VF connection is via Eircom gear at the exchange - maybe VF are rolling out their own gear into exchanges which might improve matters.

PS: watch the cost of using the VF home for phone calls - their costs to Europe are steep - herself's Vodafone mobile is cheaper, and my Tesvo mobile is way way cheaper for calls to Europe or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

I heard something about there being an issue with Vodafone and downloading torrents..... not to mention I also heard that they too block pirate bay. Perhaps someone who uses Torrents and has Vodafone here can confirm or deny same.

Of course all the torrents Id download are legal and in no way violate copyright law :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

TechFreak wrote: »
    I heard something about there being an issue with Vodafone and downloading torrents..... not to mention I also heard that they too block pirate bay. Perhaps someone who uses Torrents and has Vodafone here can confirm or deny same.

Of course all the torrents Id download are legal and in no way violate copyright law :cool:

Youre thinking of Eircom. Vodafone dont block Piratebay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Wouldn't wish Vodafone on my worst enemy. UPC make up for the ****e tv service (Vs Sky) by offering staggering broadband services. I was getting 19.96mb wifi download on speedtest with their 20mb standard cisco router they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Jaysus I have Vodafone as I was an existing BT customer and they took over the business and I have never had any trouble with their service (Touch Wood)

TheZohan wrote: »
    anytime I rang up Vodafone they said that they were "upgrading the line" or that it was a "router problem", it was neither.

lol the router, it was always a "router problem". I have 3 different brand adsl modems (including vodafones) and was having the exact same problem with all of them. The amount of bs they give you on the phone is crazy, "restart your router", "reset your router", "upgrade your routers firmware", "leave your router off for 20 mins", etc. When it was clearly a server-side problem they had.

While vodafone do have an excellent mobile phone network, for home broadband - AVOID AVOID AVOID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

i use torrents and piratebay with vodafone and couldnt be happier, get a full movie in half an hour, and i only have 3mb speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

i use torrents and piratebay with vodafone and couldnt be happier, get a full movie in half an hour, and i only have 3mb speed

Thats very crafty, Paddy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Moanin wrote: »
    Jaysus I have Vodafone as I was an existing BT customer and they took over the business and I have never had any trouble with their service (Touch Wood)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Lawdie wrote: »
    +1

+2.

But I think I'll switch to UPC as their 50mb is now cheaper with phone included.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread guys. I'm with Perlico, took over by Vodafone a while ago. I get constant DSL errors. Wifi drops couple of times a day from anything from a minute to 10+

Are you saying that it's the service? I had thought it was the channel on the router being affected by other wifi in the area but have switched and still get the same problem.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread guys. I'm with Perlico, took over by Vodafone a while ago. I get constant DSL errors. Wifi drops couple of times a day from anything from a minute to 10+

Are you saying that it's the service? I had thought it was the channel on the router being affected by other wifi in the area but have switched and still get the same problem.

You have 2 options:

1) Put up with lies, bad service, promises it will be fixed, your connection to continue dropping for 6 months, etc.

2) Switch provider (provided you aren't locked into a contract)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Vodafone issues are down to the router, no?

I have my own router and have never had a problem with service...

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

But I think I'll switch to UPC as their 50mb is now cheaper with phone included.

I'd be gone also if UPC internet was in the area. So will stick as is, for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BTW fatcheese.ie gives €40 cashback when signing up to VF BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What people don't realise is that outside the Pale, UPC is not an option and Eircom or their resellers are about the best solution. Unless they mess up the paperwork or Eircom do some dirt, you get the same product except VF is cheaper. I get rock solid 8Mb here on a NGB exchange through VF and never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Been with VF for nearly 2 years now. For me they are by far the cheapest in this area. I renewed the contract last year and ordered the "free" modem because it had USB slot for memory stick. I have to say that the modem was useless as it kept on losing connections etc.

The speed fluctuates quite a bit sometimes but that’s down to the old technology they have here. But that would not change if I went to another provider. They are just renting the line from Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

I used to have the same problems with Vodafone. :(:(

But then I changed my (very cheap) landline BT cordless DECT phone manufactured by Binatone and bought in ALDI (got my money back ;) ) with a better one - Panasonic from Amazon - PROBLEM SOLVED! :D:D:D

No problem with Vodafone, good speed (5Mb), good download limit (120GB), free calls to Ireland & UK - all for €52! :D:D:D

Advertisement