Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on switching TV+Broadband+Telephone (Home Starter bundle - Euro 60) to UPC

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am thinking of switching to UPC - TV+Broadband+Telephone bundle (Home Starter Package - Euro 60). It has 25MB broadband + 82 Channels + Free Off Peak & week end Telephone calls - Local, National & Worldwide + Wireless Modem + 250 Euro PC World Voucher + 250 GB monthly download limit.

Could some one tell me how good is the UPC deal?

What wireless modem comes with the package?

What is the actual download speed I could realistically expect?

How good is the customer service and reliability with service?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

net4hack wrote: »
    I am thinking of switching to UPC - TV+Broadband+Telephone bundle (Home Starter Package - Euro 60). It has 25MB broadband + 82 Channels + Free Off Peak & week end Telephone calls - Local, National & Worldwide + Wireless Modem + 250 Euro PC World Voucher + 250 GB monthly download limit.

Could some one tell me how good is the UPC deal?

What wireless modem comes with the package?

What is the actual download speed I could realistically expect?

How good is the customer service and reliability with service?

There are the channels you getvalue_lineup.png

The box guide a bit sluggish compared to Sky but it is solid enough.

All 3 services for €60 is brilliant value.

It's a great deal the broadband is rock solid 1303693449.png

You get the Cisco wireless modem [IMG][/img]1303693449.png Cisco.png

It's a good bit of kit once you turn off the flood protection which is set to on when you get it.

The phone is excellent.

So you get good TV not as good as Sky but good.
    Excellent phone and broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

Ranicand wrote: »

It's a good bit of kit once you turn off the flood protection which is set to on when you get it.

Thanks Ranicand,

What is flood protection meant for?

Thanks Ranicand,

What is flood protection meant for?

Loads of traffic to try and hack your computer.

However with the flood protection on things like online gaming are ruined along with some internet apps.

You should have a firewall running on your computer anyway along with your antivirus.

Any idea whether I could use the NTL receiver to receiver satellite channels. I have a motorised satellite dish system which I used to receiver channels from various satellites. Any chance i could just one receiver for NTL as well as satellite channels?

Any idea whether I could use the NTL receiver to receiver satellite channels. I have a motorised satellite dish system which I used to receiver channels from various satellites. Any chance i could just one receiver for NTL as well as satellite channels?

No Satellite and cable operate on different bands and are not compatible.

Also a sat box sends a small amount of power to the LNB the block on the end of the dish arm.
    A cable box does not work like this.

There is also no tuning option on a cable box UPC control the EPG guide channel numbers.

Here is the EPG guide at the moment.
    You will get all the channels in green the value pack apart from the HD ones unless you opt for a HD box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_UPC_Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ostrich

are they still giving the 250 euro voucher?:confused:

ostrich wrote: »
    are they still giving the 250 euro voucher?:confused:

No idea sorry.

Yes, 250 Euro PCWorld/Currys voucher offer is still available when you apply instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you're using a motorised sat setup no point in getting UPC's tv pack,most of those channels are fta anyway.Save a few bob and keep using your satellite system and just get the broadband from UPC on it's own (although there is a €7.50 surcharge for having it as a standalone service)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

What's the criac with adding and taking packages off do you enter 12 month or is it the standard charge for when you want to remove packages. Whets the cancellation period for removing packs. Gave to move from sky for various reasons so just curious. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement