Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skype video call

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Cant seem to work video call on my nokia 5800 any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Skype video not supported on mobiles, use a PC. If you want video/voice on mobile use latest google chat for android (only works with latest android, not available for most handsets). Also lolphone has that facetime thing but it relies on SMS to setup.

Skype have been promising video on mobile for years but never delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Nokia N900 has video Skype.

Because N900 wasn't running the mobile version, it was running full linux version.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

srsly78 wrote: »
    Because N900 wasn't running the mobile version, it was running full linux version.

It most certainly wasn't. Skype is closely integrated into to the N900. It is not a separate app.

Ok fair enough. Not gonna help the OP tho. Nokia threw money at Skype to get that done for just one phone it seems, why don't Skype support more devices (even on nokia platforms alone)? Will be interesting to see if google video chat will work on all android devices in future (even ones without front camera).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ok fair enough. Not gonna help the OP tho. Nokia threw money at Skype to get that done for just one phone it seems, why don't Skype support more devices (even on nokia platforms alone)? Will be interesting to see if google video chat will work on all android devices in future (even ones without front camera).

Well microsoft bought skype so we will see it in the future nokia windows handsets

For sure.

When I use Skype on android over 3g there is noticeable lag, bad enough that people would inevitably talk over each other :D Is it like this when the software is integrated at a lower level? The 100ms latency from 3g is very annoying otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How long before Microsoft drops Android and linux support?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

For sure.

When I use Skype on android over 3g there is noticeable lag, bad enough that people would inevitably talk over each other :D Is it like this when the software is integrated at a lower level? The 100ms latency from 3g is very annoying otherwise.

100ms is minimum. Average i get is 230ms. So thats quite horrible :)
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How long before Microsoft drops Android and linux support?

No one will be dropping anything as it was made clear.

Microsofts job is to provide software. And they have been doing this well in the past. Alot of their products are available on iPhone iPad and Macs. Just because it takes more time to port it to other OS doesnt mean it their doing this on purpose. It takes time to port and kill bugs.

Skype and Microsoft both made statements that nothing will change regarding support.

The best thing about skype was always that it had multi platform support. If that goes the customer goes. If the customers goes that 8.5B would be blown away by the wind.

No one will be dropping anything as it was made clear.

Microsofts job is to provide software. And they have been doing this well in the past. Alot of their products are available on iPhone iPad and Macs. Just because it takes more time to port it to other OS doesnt mean it their doing this on purpose. It takes time to port and kill bugs.

Skype and Microsoft both made statements that nothing will change regarding support.

The best thing about skype was always that it had multi platform support. If that goes the customer goes. If the customers goes that 8.5B would be blown away by the wind.

One time Skype was going to be open source, Microsoft owning it is never good news given their track record of patent trolling and corporate bulllying

• Advertisement

Yeah it was......

Back in 2009.

From what i can see right now your the troll trying to pick on it.

I dont think the average consumer what source it is. As long as it does the job that needs to be done.

And that was for Linux...Which is a tiny user base...So why bother?

I dont think the average consumer what source it is. As long as it does the job that needs to be done.

And that was for Linux...Which is a tiny user base...So why bother?

Right, so just drop Linux support. Closed source is better than open source. Nobody uses it anyway. Bastardise a multi-platform protocol. Great plan.

And I'm not trolling, its you who's been trolling, hopping on to every Microsoft thread to defend them, when history tells the truth. MS has always had a big battle against open source. They refused access to details of their file formats, and FOSS have even had to fight them in court as the monopolistic giant drove to crush any opposition by claiming FOSS violated their patents. This goes all the way back to MS v Netscape where Ms not only used its monopoly to cut off Netscape's opportunities, but also paid key Netscape customers to change to Internet Explorer. Even the MS bootloader removes access to a linux partition during install. Nasty practice has got MS where it is.

Incidentally, there are more linux pc's in the world than Windows, just not in the desktop environment.

Dude why waste money and increase your product cost to develop a app for linux.

There is no user base for it. So why bother.

Its like asking EA Games to start making games for Linux before PC and Mac...Its not just Microsoft.

Dont forget that core target of every organization is to make a profit. If their not making a profit its only a matter of time till they go bust.

And if they go for the wrong target market they will definitely go bust.

Dont get me wrong i wouldn't mind people having it. It would be great. But seriously your expecting too much.

Anyway this is off topic.

Skype is supported on Windows, OSx, Android, iOS and coming to Xbox and Windows Phone. These are main platforms and keeping skype up to date on them will make everyone happy. Average consumer wouldnt even know what Linux is...

Dude why waste money and increase your product cost to develop a app for linux.

There is no user base for it. So why bother.

Its like asking EA Games to start making games for Linux before PC and Mac...Its not just Microsoft.

Dont forget that core target of every organization is to make a profit. If their not making a profit its only a matter of time till they go bust.

And if they go for the wrong target market they will definitely go bust.

Dont get me wrong i wouldn't mind people having it. It would be great. But seriously your expecting too much.

Eh? Mozilla develop Linux versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, you think its not worth their while?
    I don't think you fully understand. You cannot have a multi-platform protocol and leave out a big player. Android is linux, your wireless router runs linux, the very server that hosts this site runs linux.

Yeah but a server and a router and any other that device that runs linux doesnt need skype or firefox.

Firefox is developed for Linux cause its like IE to Windows and Safari to OSx.

Theres a big difference.

Android has skype because it has a large userbase.

Yeah but a server and a router and any other that device that runs linux doesnt need skype or firefox.

There would be a market for a Skype router

There would be a market for a Skype router

A skype router? Really?

Integration with consoles and TV's,VOIP phones. Standalone units that connect over Lan or WiFi. They already exist.

I dont see what your complaining about

And as far as i checked you can get a beta for Linux

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/

So your complaint that its not open source?

159894.png

It supports plenty of platforms. As i said it wouldnt be smart for MS to drop support as basicly they would be taking bread away from themselves. And if they stop supporting them they will lose user base. Wasting their 8.5BN

So your complaint that its not open source?

My complaint is that MS have it, it will not get any further development on Linux and come out of beta now that MS have it. Watch them fcuk it up on Linux purposely. Wait for the patent law suits, there are open source apps that use codecs similar to Skype.

My complaint is that MS have it, it will not get any further development on Linux and come out of beta now that MS have it. Watch them fcuk it up on Linux purposely. Wait for the patent law suits, there are open source apps that use codecs similar to Skype.

But sure if they own the codec now they can do whatever they want with it :) If a person owns a car you just dont take it off them and start driving it :)

Im sure their going to carry with support for Linux.

No point speculating what might happen.

Id standby the the side that other programs should not be using Skype's codec if it doesnt belong to them.

Its a general rule of IT industry. You use something that belongs to another company you get a law suit. No matter is it google apple or microsoft or any other company for that matter.

Why should some one get something free for something that others have worked hard for? Its stealing

But sure if they own the codec now they can do whatever they want with it :) If a person owns a car you just dont take it off them and start driving it :)

Im sure their going to carry with support for Linux.

No point speculating what might happen.

Id standby the the side that other programs should not be using Skype's codec if it doesnt belong to them.

Its a general rule of IT industry. You use something that belongs to another company you get a law suit. No matter is it google apple or microsoft or any other company for that matter.

Why should some one get something free for something that others have worked hard for? Its stealing

Yeah, but even if these devs did develop their own codec, they've not got the power to fight MS.

This won't end well for Skype users. Skype for Mac is supposedly well behind the Windows version (I'm not a Mac user but I'm told its poor). Skype on Android isn't great, well behind iOS, no Skype video on most Android devices. Skype for Linux will end up in the bin. Time to find an alternative.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but even if these devs did develop their own codec, they've not got the power to fight MS.

This won't end well for Skype users. Skype for Mac is supposedly well behind the Windows version (I'm not a Mac user but I'm told its poor). Skype on Android isn't great, well behind iOS, no Skype video on most Android devices. Skype for Linux will end up in the bin. Time to find an alternative.

But sure before that it wasnt Microsoft running skype so you can hardly blame Microsoft for that. Skype will be still running as a separate division. The only difference is that CEO of skype will be reporting back to to Steve Baldy :)

But sure before that it wasnt Microsoft running skype so you can hardly blame Microsoft for that. Skype will be still running as a separate division. The only difference is that CEO of skype will be reporting back to to Steve Baldy :)

We'll see, watch this space. I've no faith in them to do right by Skype users

Advertisement