Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical engineering question

• 19-05-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    This has been bothering me for a while.
    Is it possible to get into mechanical engineering without having a science subject?
    I would be really interested in doing this course in college but atm im just doing biology but im thinking about dropping this next year.(im in 5th year)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Well in Trinity you just need a C3 in Higher Maths, not sure about anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

I've been researching engineering courses (Level 8) since last September when I decided to do Engineering for next year, and all of the ones I can remember looking at have a science subject as a requirement. They usually only ask for a D3 (HL) though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to be honest, being good at maths is probably the main thing for a mech eng degree although I couldnt imagine tacking the course without physics either.
    Theres an AWFUL lot of complicated equations and formulas that Physics prepares you for.
    If you are seeing these for the first time in college ( if you are let in without physics in the 1st place) you'll have a very demanding first year.

The wife also did mech eng, but in an IT rather than uni and what she did was demanding enough but far more angled on practical things than the pure theory in uni.
    Also, some of the lads in my class already had diplomas completed in the ITs before transfering to uni and that was also a very good choice as they had a very solid grounding in the theory as well as having a practical angle to make sense of everything.
    From looking at the CIT website for instance, theres no mention of having to have a science subject so thats a way to get into Mech Eng for you maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

I think they might also accept Technology (or is it called Engineering?) as a subject in place of a science subject as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I think they might also accept Technology (or is it called Engineering?)

Ah right. No they're two different subjects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement