Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What router doesn't need daily rebooting?

• 19-05-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

So it's that time of year again when I'm being driven demented by my router needing constant rebooting to operate. I'm wondering what is out there that can handle a bunch of wireless devices (10 ish) and does not need to be rebooted a few times a day. I don't particularly care if it's G or N, I just need the thing to work. Ideally you guys would recommend something you've personally used. Like a router you bought a year ago and have never had to manually restart/reboot ;)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

WRT54GL with Tomato firmware, have owned for about 3 years and only needed to reboot once (and that was UPC's fault!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

WRT54G (old version 2.2) with DD-WRT.com firmware.

So that's a +1 for LinkSys routers, with alternative firmware.
    Although I've never used it with 10 wireless clients.

Is it overheating ?
    Make sure the airvents have good ventilation.
    If you want to hack it a little, open it up and stick some heatsinks on the CPU in the case.
    eBay sell small heatsinks. I have bought and installed them on a small NAS device I have.

If it's not overheating, then check
    1) for updated firmware
    2) maybe try alternative firmware, if available

Either way, sounds like it would be worth performing a hard reset of the router and reconfiguring it. Just in case you haven't performed a hard reset for any previous firmware updates you may have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭moon2

I was just recommended a netgear WNDR3700 too, does anyone have experience with that? I would lean towards a router with gige if I can get a good recommendation but my primary goal is to stop having to reset my router :P

Is it overheating ?

<snip>

If it's not overheating, then check
    1) for updated firmware
    2) maybe try alternative firmware, if available
    It doubt it's overheating as a simple plug it out/in fixes it and it could then keep going for 24 hours. It wouldn't even be particularly stressed when it craps out, i.e. no torrents. There is also no newer firmwares available nor custom firmwares available. This is a belkin wireless N router, not 100% sure of the model without checking. It's also been reset via software/hardware a bunch of times. I suspect it's just a crappy router :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭kirving

UPC's standard Cisco Phone/Broadband router is awful, needs to br rebooted at least ever day, sometimes twice.

I could turn my old one off at night, but since the phone now goes through it, I can't. It's properly vented so my theory is that its just absolute shite.

The bollody thing takes 2 full minutes to boot up too, which is annoying when I want to make a phone call.

Is there any replacement I can get for this which can also handle the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

I've had routers that the only reason for a reboot was the power to the house went. Seriously they are fairly simple things usually. No moving parts.

trellheim wrote: »
    I've had routers that the only reason for a reboot was the power to the house went. Seriously they are fairly simple things usually. No moving parts.
    Tell that to the manufacturers who are still pumping out crappy routers which need constant manual intervention.

By any chance do you remember the model numbers of the routers you had which didn't need rebooting? Also how many wifi devices did you run them with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Another +1 for the linksys WRT54G.

I've got the somewhat little known AVM Fritz!Box Fon 7270. I usually power it off when going away for a weekend or whatever but can't ever remember it crash on me. It's pricey but works well. I've no hands-on experience with the new 7390 model though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I have a Linksys WAG 542G. I've never had to reboot it in almost 2 years - I'm glad I don't have the reboot issue as it's practically out of reach on a high shelf.
    I had Voyager routers before this that were a total pain in the a$$ and I got a day's exercise running to and fro switching them on and off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

moon2 wrote: »
    It doubt it's overheating as a simple plug it out/in fixes it and it could then keep going for 24 hours. It wouldn't even be particularly stressed when it craps out, i.e. no torrents. There is also no newer firmwares available nor custom firmwares available. This is a belkin wireless N router, not 100% sure of the model without checking. It's also been reset via software/hardware a bunch of times. I suspect it's just a crappy router :P

I had one of those and it needed constant rebooting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ahem!

http://touch.adverts.ie/hardware/cisco-linksys-wrt610n-simultaneous-dual-n-band-wireless-router/595324

Had this for nearly a year and never had an issue. I ran 8 devices off it. A mix of wired, g and n. QoS is excellent. I could be pulling down a torrent at 2 MB/s and browse quite happily on another machine. Runs ddwrt too if that's your thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

With 10 devices in use you might want to think about a enterprise level access point. Like a cisco 1200. We didn't have to reboot one in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

+2 for the WRT54G. I have only had to restart it maybe twice in the past 3 years even with the default firmware.

I'm not sure how well it would hand 10 devices at the same time though. I have 3 wireless and 4 wired devices on it not all turned on at the same time, maybe 4 at once and it's fine.

Advertisement