Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US History?!?!

• 19-05-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ive a good bit prepped overall for history and aiming for the A1. Im all set to go with good sample notes and answers.

But this question has been wrecking my head after I came across it today in my papers whilst writing notes.

"What was the Impact of the Montgomery Bus Boycott on Civil Rights movement?"

Im new to the US section this year(did diff topic last year). And my repeat teacher didnt get to this section and I dont really know how to construct an answer for this question!

Can someone just gimme an idea on the structure/essay plan?

I have these notes/points done and ready to feed to my brain :

Why US got involved in Vietnam/Their withdrawal
    Causes of the collapse of consensus
    Martin Luther King and civil rights
    Religon and mass media essay from pres
    Troubled affluence essay : Racial conflict, poverty, drugs and crime
    Anti war movement/ Mc Carthyism (domestic factors)

Which presidency would be worth covering?

***Also, is it a waste of time studying US Economic Boom since it was up last year?
    The US ploicy of containment?

Thank you !!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Little bitta help with the question above please?

Really fretting!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

LC2010HIS wrote: »

Im new to the US section this year(did diff topic last year). And my repeat teacher didnt get to this section and I dont really know how to construct an answer for this question!

I haven't done this essay before but we went through the topic well in class. I could be wrong here and if I am I'm sure people will pick me up on it but this is what I would say;

Introduction: give background to racial conflict and a brief outline of the boycott.

Just some ideas for paragraphs:
    -It sparked the Civil Rights Movement as the first major protest.
    -Its success encouraged people to continue to fight for civil rights.It also encouraged them to take a non-violent approach.
    -Because images appeared on TV, Northern states became aware of the plight of black people and many began to offer support.
    -It gave black people strong leaders in the form of Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and Edgar Daniel Nixon.
    -It led to the establishment of the Civil Rights Act 1964.
    -And eventually the Voting Rights Act 1965.

Conclusion: the bus boycott proved that sometimes people can be more effective than the government in bringing about much-needed changes. What began as a simple protest went on to transform the lives of US citizens. It encouraged other groups to seek equal rights, such as US women, Hispanics and Native Americans. Further afield, Catholics in Northern Ireland were inspired to start their own civil rights movement.
    Also, is it a waste of time studying US Economic Boom since it was up last year?

My teacher didn't put much emphasis on it because it's quite obscure and is very unlikely to come up again. However the US economy under siege chapter is worth looking over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Presidency I'm definitely learning is Harry Truman. He's a key personality and he's never come up before.

Thanks for the civil rights :):):)

Also, is it only key personalities for the presidency get asked? :confused:

Nixon? Reagan?

Confusion ensues!

Also, um, what were the successes and failures of Truman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

For brownie points throw in that Truman was a product of Tom Pendergast's Machine - an Irish political organisation operating out of Kansas City. The Pendergast Machine was notoriously corrupt and ran the state of Missouri like a fiefdom.

Tom Pendergast eventually ended up in jail and when he died people were shocked that the then President elect, Harry Truman, insisted on attending his funeral. "He was always my friend and I have always been his," was Truman's only comment on the matter.

• Advertisement

Any of the presidents can come up, but there's really not enough to ask, that we would have learnt to ask on any of the other presidents considering they're not key personalities. Johnson was asked last year, Kennedy died too soon to make any serious impact (well enough to get 5 pages out of), Nixon could come up, you could talk about detente and Vietnamisation but still I don't think they'll give it and when Reagan was asked (2006, I think) USA wasn't a very popular topic (pre document question). So yeah, that doesn't make alot of sense, but I'd definitely give Truman a look before you go in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

niamhallen wrote: »
    Kennedy died too soon to make any serious impact (well enough to get 5 pages out of)

Dallek got over 800 pages out of Kennedy... Heck, Sorenson's book gets 800 pages out of his Presidency alone!

Dallek got over 800 pages out of Kennedy... Heck, Sorenson's book gets 800 pages out of his Presidency alone!

Not that's on our course though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Im expecting the decline of the cold war to come up along with montgomery?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

C__MC wrote: »
    Im expecting the decline of the cold war to come up

If it does I will jump in the air with joy!

...On the inside.

• Advertisement

Im doing the Truman presidency atm!

Is it just me or was he just literally successful?
    Would I be right in saying his failures were in Foreign policy?

Thoughts? Successes and failures?

I think that his failures were in his domestic policies tbh. It's been a while since I did the essay tho.

Ooooh :o

Ok, well, if we all reckon he might come up, anyone wanna actually outline his successes and failures?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Im doing the Truman presidency atm!

Is it just me or was he just literally successful?
    Would I be right in saying his failures were in Foreign policy?

Thoughts? Successes and failures?

Surely he was successful in foreign policy ? Defeating Japan and having the Truman Doctrine and supporting the Marshall plan .
    I`d say he was only partially successful domestically, faced with strong opposition in congress made him have to issue executive orders, great difficulty getting bills passed etc.

Surely he was successful in foreign policy ? Defeating Japan and having the Truman Doctrine and supporting the Marshall plan .
    I`d say he was only partially successful domestically, faced with strong opposition in congress made him have to issue executive orders, great difficulty getting bills passed etc.

Oh yes

See, i only thought he was unsuccessful with FP because the effects of the nuclear bomb and his relations with stalin deteriorated?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Oh yes

See, i only thought he was unsuccessful with FP because the effects of the nuclear bomb and his relations with stalin deteriorated?

Yes the bomb killed a lot of people but he did it in order to minimize the amount of American and Japanese lives lost. He believed bomb would have the lesser impact on lives lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

The US course is great because it's easy to condense. My advice would be to study the case studies mainly and maybe learn the economy. Yes the boom came up last year... but if the economy came up again (and it could with the downturn) it's an excellent one to do because, well, it's rather straight forward.

That said, if you did a different section last year, and your more comfortable with that, you can do that section. You know that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ooooh :o

Ok, well, if we all reckon he might come up, anyone wanna actually outline his successes and failures?

If you want to view Truman negatively you easily could. His dropping of the Atomic bomb is a deeply contentious issue in today's historiography. Was he right or wrong? You could argue that killing (eventually) millions of non-combatants was a wrong move.

You could also argue the Marshall Plan helped deepen tensions with the USSR too. As well as this, the Truman Doctrine/containment got America embroiled in Korea, Taiwan and other nations (Vietnam could be one, if properly argued) to defeat Communism, and causing hundreds of thousands of dead over a long-term period.

Above is, of course, a moral issue. In the interests of national security, Truman can be argued as doing a stellar job, Communism didn't spread to the mainland - an admittedly vast thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Ive a good bit prepped overall for history and aiming for the A1. Im all set to go with good sample notes and answers.

But this question has been wrecking my head after I came across it today in my papers whilst writing notes.

I have these notes/points done and ready to feed to my brain :

Why US got involved in Vietnam/Their withdrawal
    Causes of the collapse of consensus
    Martin Luther King and civil rights
    Religon and mass media essay from pres
    Troubled affluence essay : Racial conflict, poverty, drugs and crime
    Anti war movement/ Mc Carthyism (domestic factors)

Which presidency would be worth covering?

***Also, is it a waste of time studying US Economic Boom since it was up last year?
    The US ploicy of containment?

Thank you !!!!!

I did this essay, got a B1, can send it to you if you wish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

What about the successes and failures of the Lyndon Johnson presidency?
    Could someone help me out with a plan?

Vietnam obviously
    His ability to pass stuff through congress
    Medicaid/medicare
    The bulk of the Apollo missions
    Inherited everything from JFK

All help welcomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

Why is everyone convinced Montgomery is coming up? Whenever I see something about US history, MBB is always mentioned! There are plenty of other things on the course that have NEVER been asked. Montgomery was up in 2007 and racial conflict in 2006.

Anyway, not going to comment and be unhelpful so here you go!

- showed that peaceful tactics could be used to achieve aims
    - inspired other minority groups to campaign for equality
    - brought Martin Luther King into the spotlight
    - showed the role of the Supreme Court in acheiving civil rights
    - instigated a reaction from white people in the North
    - showed the power of black activism/communities
    - used the churches
    - was successful in desegragating the bus system
    - Civil Rights Act 1964 was brought in
    - Voting Rights Act 1965

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

What about the successes and failures of the Lyndon Johnson presidency?
    Could someone help me out with a plan?

Vietnam obviously
    His ability to pass stuff through congress
    Medicaid/medicare
    The bulk of the Apollo missions
    Inherited everything from JFK

All help welcomed

His Great Society? Role in pregressing the Space Race, peace processes to end Vietnam.

I did this essay, got a B1, can send it to you if you wish?

Of the impact of bus boycott?

If you dont mind, that would be great :)

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Whatever about the presidencies of JFK, Nixon, Ford, Carter and Reagan, make sure you know the Presidencies of Truman and Johnson.

What about Vietnam coming up?

Or Collapse of consensus?

Of the impact of bus boycott?

If you dont mind, that would be great :)

Thanks!!
    Will the weekend be ok? Concentrating on European History at the mo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

Me too please?? Thanks

What about Vietnam coming up?

Or Collapse of consensus?
    Vietnam comes up alot, but the questions seem to get harder and harder (thats my opinion anyway!) If it does come up I cant see them giving a straight forward one like they did before! :/ I know the mocks is different, but I remember the one we go in our mocks was an awful question. Pity, as its such an interesting topic!

Collapse of consesus would be a lovely question, recently wrote an essay on that and had it learned it no time, its really straight forward.

I think American History is the easiest to predict. Im covering most chapter bar a few, but paying special attention to American Foreign Policy, Montgommery, Decline Of US Economy, Consesus/Collapse.. Maybe the Moon Landing again as it was the 50 year anniversary this year? (I think?!)

Me too please?? Thanks
    No Probelm, Il send it to you at the same time.. hope it helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

Civil Rights was easily my favourite part of US history and also economy and society. Studied Vietnam but never interested in it.

Advertisement